View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Toast with a Side of Sausages

I'm not the most tech savvy person and I accidently started two posts when I started our Food Report. Everything will be recorded here but if you're interested in the "back story" and who we are, I've included the link here.. We get better, I promise..!

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post13955203

Day 1 - Travel Day

Early start this morning. We left our house at 4.30am for a 7.00am flight from Dublin to London Gatwick. It was so early we couldn't face any food and decided we'd wait until we got to Gatwick to have some breakfast. While we were waiting to board in Dublin, the boys had a Coco Pops bar each (courtesy of Nanny - we're on holiday after all.. )

Our flight took off on time and landed in Gatwick at about 8.15am. Once through to the main terminal, we decided to head to Wetherspoon (Red Lion), in the North Terminal. The restaurant was pretty busy, but we were seated straight away. We ordered, a Large Breakfast (2 sausages, 2 eggs, 2 bacon, hash browns, mushrooms, beans & toast), American Style Pancakes with bacon, Toast & Marmalade and a Breakfast Sandwich (sausage, egg & bacon). We had 2 teas, a water and a cranberry juice and the cost was £36.25. DS2 had the sausages from the Large Breakfast with the side of toast (this is a recurring theme..! )

We really enjoyed our breakfast. It was all very tasty except for the beans – these had a real cheap and metallic taste and the cranberry juice was very watery. Overall, a good value "airport breakfast".

On a side note, we downloaded and used the Wetherspoons app to order food direct to our table – really handy and fast. Paid by PayPal.

After breakfast, we decided to have a bit of a wander around the shops. Our flight wasn't until 1.00pm, so we had nearly five hours to kill.. Shortly after 12.00pm, we discovered our flight was delayed. Thankfully, as part of our travel insurance, we have a Delay / Lounge Access clause, where access is provided to an airport lounge, if the flight is delayed by an hour or more. We were never so grateful to leave the madness of the main terminal..! Access was to the Club Aspire Lounge. The peace and calm in the lounge was bliss. We did note that there was a poor selection of food though - a rice dish, a pasta dish and a cake. (No photo's sorry..! ). We felt that the quality and selection of food didn't match the peaceful environment. We didn't eat, but we had 2 lemonades, a beer, a G&T and a tea. Even though everything was complimentary and we were delighted to be there, I don't think I'd be too happy, if I'd paid out of pocket for access. The kids were just delighted to be able to charge their devices..!

Our flight boarded at about 3.00pm and eventually took off at 4.30pm (3.5 hours delay). We didn't get the usual pretzels and drink but dinner was served pretty soon after we took off. Here's the menu: -

We all had, Japanese Cucumber Salad, then Chili Con Carne with rice and sweetcorn, and a GU pot (chocolate & caramel). I liked this as did DS1, but DH and DS2 didn't. DH was really disappointed with the GU pot, as the desert is usually the only thing he eats on the plane..! In fact, he eats everyone's desert on the plane..

After a while, we got a Fab ice lolly. It did exactly as it said on the tin - it was fab!

About two hours before landing, we had Mile High Tea. We had a roll with mozzarella, pesto, tomato and rocket and then a scone with cream and jam. The roll was awful, but the scone was ok. The cup of tea was lovely

We made up loads of time - the pilot must have really put the foot down. Despite a 3.5 hour delay, we arrived 2 hours after our scheduled arrival time.

Once we cleared immigration and customs, we picked up the car (Budget, never again, but that's another story) and headed to the villa, stopping off in Target to pick up the essentials. 20 minutes later - $88.91 poorer. Arrived at the villa at 10.30pm - exhausted. It was a long day.

Total travel time - 23 hours
Total food spends today - £36.25 and $88.91

Edited at 08:42 PM. Reason: Amend title
DisDubs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List