View Single Post
Old 1 Apr 18, 05:23 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day3 Dylan's cycle tour. A 'Bridge over troubled water' 😫 (By Simon and 'Art')

Highly, highly recommended. We picked up the bikes at 0800 after walking there, through Grant St, Chinatown and on to Columbus where the shop is just past Washington Square. We promptly left the bikes in situ and walked to Lombard Street, approximately 300 yards away, but up a 30' hill. Hard work, but very worth it. We then returned and picked up the bikes, following the shop guy's very concise and clear instructions.

It is actually steeper than it looks!

It was down to Fisherman's and then left along the shore to the Golden gate, over it and down to Sausalito. Part cycling and part walking along safe, uncrowded cycleways.

The drop off point for the bikes was easy to find. We then had an hour and a half in Sausalito where we pigged out on Lappert's Ice Cream, truly awesome and worth the queue.
The minibus trip to Muir woods was aided by a very fine, informative commentary by Adam, the driver as he took us up through Marin to reach the woods. The Redwood trees top out at 280 feet and the walk would have been wheelchair friendly, given that it was all wide Boardwalk.
We were later dropped at Chinatown in SF , following a further, informative commentary from Adam.

The Redwoods of Muir Woods.

I cannot recommend this tour highly enough. It ticked numerous objectives and was great value.
That night, it was a visit to the very busy Cheesecake Factory, situated on the 8th floor of Macy's in Union Square. Great views and exactly the same menu as in Orlando.

There was then just time for me to do a foot recce of where we would collect our car next day and also the route to the Bay Bridge from where we would be exiting San Francisco. I observed traffic movement for several minutes, well aware of the community of homeless, living in tents underneath the Bay Bridge.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:18 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List