Thread: San diego
View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
Couple of questions for you: what did you like about Oceanside/what would you do there?

We have a whale watching trip booked, is it worth doing a harbour cruise as well? We have about 4/5 days.

Thx
Oceanside was where we picked up our Gosandiego cards and we had never even heard of it. We drove in and went to the tourist agency place and couldn’t even see the beach.
There were some lovely ladies in there that asked if we were taking a look, asked if we knew that Kelly McGillis house from ‘Topgun was there and said it was worth seeing. We drove down and saw this and the pier a little further on. We went on the pier and looked back at an under developed beach area. People were friendly and the place just had a nice feel about it. I don’t think that a UK guest would seek to stay there for a week or anything. The place just had a nice feel. The lovely weather also helped!

You will find a few images of it on my trip report ‘California N to South at Easter’. Some places just catch your imagination and for us, this was one. I wish that we had picked up our tickets, stayed the afternoon on the beach and then stayed a night before moving on to San Diego.

We Whale watched a few day earlier at Monterey. If we had not, then a Whale watch was part of our Gosandiego card. We were in San Diego for 5 days and had insufficient time for a second one. Just south of San Diego is the inlet where Grey Whales gather and give birth (Sea of Cortez in Mexico). I believe that the Whale trip just goes straight out to see whilst if you look on google, San Diego harbour is in fact a huge sheltered place with a relatively narrow entrance. Think Pompey on a larger scale and much prettier.

The Harbour cruises are really good. They leave from right next to USS Midway. So you can park there on the wharf for the day and do both. The N one goes.. North and you get to see the Submarine area, Airport, civilian operations, North Island. The same boat then becomes the boat for S
The S. one goes.. South. It goes under the Coronado bridge towards Mexico and you see the US Pacific fleet. It is huge.
The boat is large and pleasant with a truly excellent commentary and some brilliant photo opportunities. we were told that we could only do one or other of N or S per day on our paperwork, but when we mentioned this to boat staff after our S trip, they simply said 'Well don't get off then if you want the other half'. It gives you ideas of things that you might want to do and like in most ports, provides excellent photo ops. These trips are again part of the Gosandiego ticket. Again, they are covered (with photos on my trip report.

Hoping this helps you. There is simply so much to do in San Diego.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:22 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List