Old 26 Apr 10, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Our Sneaky Grown Up Universal Week Sept 09

We had already booked our 2009 two week Florida Holiday for me DH DD and DD’s friend, when Leanne1977 posted about some crazy pricing for the Loews Hotels at Universal Studios that Netflights were offering.

After a quick search we found that we could book a Club Room at the Portofino Bay Hotel for £570 for the week!

We had two free PE upgrades to use via our Virgin Atlantic credit card, so we used 50,000 points to book economy seat and used the upgrades. We just had to pay the tax.

We used Car on the Drive so that DH didn’t have to drive and could have a drink on the plane if he fancied one. I got my Universal Tickets from ebay

So that was that! We were all booked.

After checking in online, we travelled down to the airport and had a very quick Twilight check-in, by this time I'm so giddy I could burst .

Next on to the Crowne Plaza at Gatwick, we were upgraded to an Executive room which was very nice indeed . A quick wander down to TGI’s for a bite to eat before returning for a glass of bubbly in the bath ... Bliss

Crown Plaza - Gatwick

We were up bright and early, we met our meet and greet chap at the airport and handed over the car. We had been given a fast pass for security and only had to queue for about 10 minutes.

The No1 Lounge at Gatwick was more than adequate, it was a little busy because they were taking in virgin customers because the Virgin lounge was undergoing a refurb. I thought it was great value for money and I would use it again

No 1 Lounge Gatwick

The fight was on time, and once I had changed into my PJ’s and got comfy the flight was fine, I had lots to keep me occupied, I’m a bit like a kid, I need something new to do about every hour LOL!

We landed on time, cleared customs in under 20 minutes, We met the chap from Car on the Drive with no problems and went straight to the Portofino Bay Hotel. We arranged for our car to be dropped of the next morning as we didn’t need it straight away.

The check in was easy and the hotel was stunning, our club room was really spacious and I loved it. I was sooooo giddy

Our Room & View

The Hotel & Club Room

The club room was very nice and relaxed, offering a light breakfast and snacks during the day including beer and wine on an evening. It also had two PC’s with free internet access

Within 2.5 hours of landing we were in City Walk having a lovely cold beer (non alcoholic didn’t want to fall asleep)

I have decided not to bore you with the rest of the weeks activities, I just thought I would post some pics instead.

We spent the week dipping in and out of the parks on a morning, swimming, I ran 15 miles whilst there, the gym is great at the Portofino. The Villa pool which is more of an adults pool was virtually empty all the time.

We shopped and ate at some lovely places and drank some fab cocktails.
I loved staying here so much so we have added a 5 day stop at the Portofino into our next trip.

It was VERY relaxing I loved been able to walk to the parks
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List