View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 16, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

I had a similar experience as you. Went to GP for bad period pains only to be diagnoses with fibroids and ended up having a total (including cervix) hysterectomy at the age of 41. I had to have the cervix removed because they also did a smear at the same time which came back with some suspicious cells in the cervix so it was decided to do a total hysterectomy to save any problems later on. I have to admit I had the old fashioned surgery, i.e. big cut on the bottom of my stomach, rather than the key hole surgery they do now, and apart from the actual day I had the operation I was absolutely fine. I was given very good pain relief (morphine pump) and after about 48 hours I was up and walking round normally. I had drips, catheters and drains in, and each day one thing was removed, the last being the drain, which I had to admit didn't hurt to be removed although did give a tickling sensation as it travelled over my bladder!. I was home in five days and went from strength to strength and I would highly recommend it. I felt so better once I got over the operation, it took about six weeks to feel well enough to go back to work and do normal things like housework, ironing, shopping etc. I started to feel less tired and not having to suffer periods every month was brilliant. I never felt less of a women for having it done, in fact it gave me a much better outlook on life. You will not regret it.