View Single Post
Old 22 Sep 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
daytonababe, my dad was the same as yours, diagnosed in his early twenties and managed his diabetes for over 60 years.

I remember him boiling his syringes and needles every Sunday to sterilize them and urine testing with tabs that fizzled and changed colour.

My Dad became an eminent scientist and got a knighthood for his work, he travelled the world from the 1950s, lecturing and advising. He let nothing get in his way including his diabetes.

It was hard for him, and us but he led a good life.
My dad unfortunately began to lose his sight due to diabetes , it started to go when I was about 3 so he stopped driving , whilst he was registered blind he still had some albeit very limited sight till he died .

He suffered a lot of other complications in later years with his heart and kidneys

But he never complained he made the best of things , came to Florida twice with us etc

Dad was 6 when he was first diagnosed it was always blamed on a reaction to being attacked by a German shepherd , however I suspect it’s more of a genetic thing seeing as later on his dad , 2 brothers and a few of my cousins all ended up with it

One cousin has had a pancreas transplant and that for her has cured Type 1 .
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List