View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 16, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Quebec 2016 - On y va LIVE - Day 6 Canoeing Down The River

Yet again we woke up very early. Really must try to sleep longer!

After a breakfast of raisin toast and coffee we set off for Mont Tremblant National Park (about a 1h drive).

This is where we ended up - ready for our canoe adventure.

We check in, got our life jackets and paddles and then went to load the kayak and Canadian canoe onto the trailer of a school bus.

The bus drove us the 2km to the start point. We had a pick up time of 4 hours later 12km down the river.

Yes - even the fishing net came with us. Our biggest challenge was how we were going to keep F's diabetes reader dry but we found a waterproof phone plastic case at the cabin so used that (successfully thankfully! ).

We also had food and water!

Our start point - on le riviére de diable - the devil's river.

And off we go. DH was with O in the Canadian canoe and F and I were in the kayak.

One of the rapids section. Bit hairy the first time (years since I have canoed! ) but I soon got the hang of it.

F in full paddle.

The kids deciding it was a bit too hot and taking a dip. It was a lot easier to paddle on my own

Half way point - 6km and 2 hours!

The kids went together (was a day of cooperation and good will between them and begin to get tired. I had the luxury of being with DH who let me not paddle!

Just another view! It went from sandy bank to rock cliffs. There were birds of prey flying around but with my waterproof camera it wasn't easy to get any pictures.

There were thousands of dragonflies. Some were enormous. Quite a few landed on us.

This one stayed on the boat for a good 5 minutes.

After 4 hours and 12km of paddling we got to the end. We were shattered. It had been the hottest day too. But it had been amazing - lots of laughing, splashing and good fun.

We got the bus back and grabbed some drinks to rehydrate us. I chose this ginger pepsi - tasted like the ginger beer I had as a child.

The kids fell asleep almost as soon as we set off. The road was very long. DH thought my photo taking was quite funny but I didn't think this was a bad one. As you can see, rather a lot of trees.

We rested up and then had a bbq - salmon and corn again!

After dinner we went out for an ice cream - O had this brownie concoction. It didn't take long for it to disappear.

F and I went down to the lake to fish. We were rewarded with a swim past by the beaver.

And a lovely setting sun.

Tomorrow - day at the lake. It is our last full day here before we move onto our next adventure.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List