View Single Post
Old 15 May 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Road Trip to Key West

So for our August '20 trip, we have three weeks in POFQ, and we'd really like to do Key West (not a tag on - during our stay, so we'd leave our stuff in POFQ whilst away).

We'd ideally like a couple of nights in Key West.

Google shows the drive as seven hours (6h58m)... now I can drive, I like it, and living in the sticks, have done 7hr trips before... but it doesn't necessarily make for a crackin' day

I see three options:

1. Two nights away from POFQ: Blitz the drive, Orlando to Key West, with a break for lunch somewhere. Two nights Key West, then blitz the drive back to Disney (again, a break somewhere for lunch).

2. Three nights away from POFQ: Orlando to Ft Lauderdale for an overnight - maybe pick up the A1A coast road somewhere like West Palm Beach (used the A1A to St Augustine from Ormond Beach on our last holiday - beautiful road, relaxing drive). 3h20m on Google (more if we hit the A1A). Next day, on to Key West (3h30m), two nights, then do the return trip without an overnight, but obviously with a break.

3. Four nights away from POFQ; like option 2, but with an overnight on the return also (maybe a different town on the way back).

I'm leaning toward Option 2 - a stop-over on the way back seems a luxury/waste considering we'll still have our room at POFQ and Star Wars Land to play in

So, questions for Fellow Dibbers, I know some will have done the trip before

Is it a daft idea (rhetorical... don't need to answer that one; it's a holiday, after all ).

Are the Google times pretty accurate (I know there'll be a bit of good luck/bad luck re: traffic)?

Any points of interest that folk have (either stumbled across, or planned in) along the likely routes (we'll be sticking to eastern Florida, rather than going up the middle or the West), bearing in mind I'd really to pick up the A1A on the southbound (might just settle for "fastest" on the way back if we're doing it in one day).

Is Ft Lauderdale the best place for the overnight, if we're splitting the drive? It seems the "obvious" choice... really don't fancy Miami (our daughter will be 13, so we're looking at family-friendly).

And, again for those who've been, just how good is sunset at Mallory Square? Looks awesome
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List