View Single Post
Old 15 May 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

I'd do option 2 or 3. We usually drive about 2500 miles over a two week stay in the States, but have a day max of 6 hours. That way you drive 3 hours, do something for the day, then the other 3 hours before bed.

My plan based on stuff we've enjoyed in the past would be to set off first thing on day one, drive 3hrs 30 to Fort Lauderdale and spend the day hopping on and off the Water Taxi (feed tarpon, Bubba Gumps on the beach, see how the other half live!). Drive 1hr 30 and sleep in a cheap motel south of Miami(we stayed at Fairway Inn in Florida City). Next morning visit the Everglades Visitor Centre before heading down to the Keys for 2 nights for all they have to offer (lots, all easily found).

On the fourth day, leave the Keys by lunchtime (it will be difficult) take an airboat ride at The Everglades Holiday Camp (left of Fort Lauderdale) and/or the Turtle rescue and butterfly park at Boca Raton, spend the evening and sleep at West Palm Beach.

On the fifth day either drive straight back to Orlando for lunch (2hr 30) or spend the day/part day on the beach somewhere - Vero and Melbourne are good.

We're flying into Miami next Easter, but writing this has made me realise that we need to spend a few days in the South rather than heading West as we'd thought!

Edited at 12:08 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List