View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 19, 04:18 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Day 10.

We had breakfast in our room consisting of leftover bagels from yesterday's lunch and leftover pizza from last night. And then we got in the car and headed over to our kayak rental. There were 3 or 4 kayak rental companies all on the same street, we used everyday California and I found a discount code for 20% off when I booked, from somewhere like the San Diego tourist board (I just googled it and found one). Our rental was approx $90 for 2 double kayaks for 90 mins.

We arrived early which was lucky as parking was really hard! Leave plenty of time for parking and/or go early in the morning and be prepared to walk. We were there around 10:50 and it took us 15 mins to find a spot. You check in at the shop and then walk down to the beach and get your boats and paddles there. We got our gear and set off. OH is an experienced paddler and I used to but not any more. However, the rentals are totally suited for novices too, and they run tours as well as rentals. The guides explain where you can and can't go and realistically it's a pretty small area with lifeguards and lots of other people around. We enjoyed paddling around and splashing about and generally being laid back and relaxed. It's beautiful here.

You will get wet, dress accordingly and plenty of sunscreen. We had factor 30 on and myself and the 2 kids all got burnt today 😕 which is doubly frustrating as OH is the one with the real Irish skin!

We all really enjoyed the kayak rental and afterwards headed back to the hotel for more leftovers for lunch! It may have been nice to go out but we all wanted to get in the pool and it seems wasteful to have food sat in the fridge and not eat it.

Afternoon spent splashing in the pool and lazing around. The hotel has free coffee and hot chocolate all day and and iced coffee in the afternoons. Also free filtered water machines dotted around.

After this we shower, changed and discovered the sunburn 😳 and went for dinner. Ate at the cottage, a 5 min stroll from here. Plenty of gluten Free options. Food was great! I had fish tacos which were delicious and a lavender champagne 😋

For 2 beers, 1 lavender champagne, 4 mains, 3 desserts it was approx $140 Inc tip. The desserts were the only time this place fell down. The waittress brought out the desserts to show us and when I asked if any were gluten Free she said she didn't think so. I wanted a dessert but figured she knew her stuff and didnt push her to ask the chef. Everton eelse ordered dessert and they were amazing. I'm told. And when I came to pay the bill one of them was on the bill as gf 😐 this may or may not be why I only tipped her 18% as otherwise she was very nice.

Ds1 hurt his toe in the pool earlier and it's hurting to walk on it so we didn't detour for me to get ice cream after dinner either 😭

Currently enjoying some fizzy wine on our balcony while the kids enjoy some screen time.

LA jolla seems a really nice, cute, trendy town and we've had a lovely day or 2. It was especially nice to see the kids playing together in the pool and not fighting for a change 😍
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List