View Single Post
Old 2 Jun 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
martha
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
You have to get the JR pass before going as its not available in Japan. You can order online but we got ours from Sta travel. Once you receive the voucher you take this to Japan. We exchanged our voucher at the airport - we asked at the information desk where to go. You then receive the actual pass. We used it straight away to take the NEX train into Tokyo (they reserve a seat for you on the next train for you). I believe if you dont want to do this at the airport you can exchange at the bigger rail stations.

There are JR reservation offices in the stations to reserve seats on the Shinkansen but you dont need to do anything when using the Yamanote line within Tokyo as the trains come every 4 minutes! You just flash the pass at the manned gates.

The stamps were not obvious to us at the start and we had to ask someone (usually at the manned gate at a station). Even in the temples etc. They could be at odd places but they always knew what we were talking about when we asked. They use the word stamp also. Here is an example of one of my stamps taken at Nara station. A couple of times we were taken into an office behind a blank door - we would never have found it in a million years. We did see quite a few others collecting stamps also - lots of Japanese collect them.

Thank you. The stamps look really cute.

We have the vouchers that need to be exchanged for JR Passes - hoping to change at airport but not use for a few days - guessing it was quite an easy process from what you said. Which is good as we may be a bit tired as due to flight times I think we'll be missing a night's sleep!