Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Two Countries and Eleven States - Day 9 Niagara Falls

October 27th 2017

After a good night sleep in our lovely room we repacked our bags and headed down to breakfast. As I queued at the coffee machine one of the staff started chatting about our trip and where we were heading. She asked if we’d seen any Elk as they were currently migrating. I said not and she said we should head up to Benezett before we continued on our journey as there were loads of the beasts up there.
After some discussion we agreed and set off. Full of anticipation to see these lovely creatures.

The morning was beautiful and with an early morning mist and autumn colours I soon had to stop and get some photos

The Countryside around here was stunning.

We passed little towns and climbed up through forests until we got to Benezett about an hour away.

There were directions to the elk viewing areas although the creatures were strangely absent.

Not sure why
It was beautiful up here.

But the only evidence of elk was

So I’ll leave you with this

Any way we headed back down the road and started towards Niagara.

We driove until Lewis Run and had a break for gas and snacks

We were all loving Pennsylvania.
We finally reached Niagara about 1pm.

We crossed into Canada. Country no.2 folks!

We found somewhere to park and walked along the Queen Elizabeth Park to get to the Hornblowers for our 2pm cruise.

Another beautiful day and the falls were stunning, we were all very excited at the prospect of the river trip!

We got the obligatory ponchos and got on the boat and were off!

You approach the smaller American falls first which are beautiful but nothing prepares you for what’s to come.

I think we all though he’ll we didn’t really need these ponchos
Then we headed for Horeseshoe Falls and all I can say is wow. You couldn’t see, hear or barely keep your feet when we got nearest the falls. It is unbelievable. The most defends and it’s just a torrent all around you - absolutely fantastic.

All too soon we moved away and headed back.

Completely drenched!

We sat down at a bar by the river and had a beer, and dried out utterly happy and thrilled to see what is without doubt a natural wonder.

We then walked back up by the falls for another look

By this time it was check in time. The boys and I headed up the little Funicular railway

to the Embassy Suites to sort out the room whilst DH walked back for the car.
I had paid extra for a higher room with views of both sides of the falls. I reckoned we are only going to visit once and I wanted us to make the most of it. Let’s not talk about how much it cost but was it worth it?
This was the view

I was happy
Room sorted, we headed back down to mee up with DH and we drove up to the hotel and used the valet parking as didn’t seem to be any other option. This part of Niagara was much more tacky.

We also got credit for the Keg restaurant and a couple of free drinks as part of a package deal. We sat down and had a drink whilst the boys played on the various video games and our table was ready.
The restaurant was lovely and with our $50 Credit wasn’t tooo dear.

The food was gorgeous and DH reckoned the best steak of the holiday

Mine wasn’t bad either

By 8.30we we’re done and headed back to the room to sit and look at the view with a glass of wine or two

It had been a fantastic day, I’d fulfilled another long term dream to come here and it had totally lived up to my expectations. Yes there’s tackiness but the falls are stunning and we’d loved the hotel and didn’t begrudge what we’d payed.

Steps 9,314
Countries
America
Canada
Haha finally!

Link to day 8

Index

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!

Edited at 12:38 AM.
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List