Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 Jan 15, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Our Wedding,Shopping, Park Hopping Trip Day 5 Part 2: The OMG & Queen Victoria Room dinner

Day 5 Sunday 16 November Part 2 - part 1 is HERE

MK, V&A and OMG

We started to get ready about 4.30 for dinner and Andy sets off to find us a cab about 5pm – I was very keen that we were not late.

As luck (?! ) would have it , there was a very smart Lincoln Town car Taxi waiting for hire outside the reception area ( there were always cabs here, just luck that there was a super smart one there this afternoon)

Lovely taxi driver, very chatty and we are on our way to the Grand Floridian – hmm, that did take a bit of explaining but once we said it was Disney World and that we could follow the signs, all was good.

It was very nice riding in style and all was going well – we were waved through the parking tolls and off on the way to the MK resorts and then it went a bit pear shaped.

Andy thinks maybe the driver couldn’t see so well as he kept going right up to signs before deciding which way to go and somehow on one of the resort signs we just went , well, wrong – going down roads that really didn’t look like the right way and even as we sailed by Fort Wilderness we seemed to be just not getting it quite right.

As we hit a service road , we saw that a car had been pulled over by an officer in a layby so the driver pulled up and announced he was off to ask for directions

Disclaimer – what follows next is my take on what happened as I stayed in the car and could hear but not see all of what was going on and as it was so surreal, I may not have quite captured all of it – but probably enough for you to get the picture -

Gee, when they say don’t get out of the car in the States, they mean it.

Our driver jumps out all apologetic to us that he is lost and shouts over to that he wants to ask directions.

Well, he responded by shouting down his loudspeaker in very un Disney like language that the jeffing driver should get back in the jeffing car right now ( that’s the short version, I cant tell you the language and tone that were being used) .

The driver was , shall we say, somewhat upset by the stream of obscenities ( including references to colour) and decided to exercise his civil rights by telling the Sheriff exactly what he thought of him in return.

O M G

We are sat in the car not quite believing what is happening. In the space of less than a minute we have a situation that could go all Michael Douglas ( Falling Down) at any moment.

I am praying that Andy just sits there and doesn’t join in, he is trying to be all re-assuring and I am running through my mind all the following possible scenarios
  • [SIZE="3"][B]I am going to be arrested – I am in a cocktail dress and high shoes that are crippling me , I simply cant be arrested looking like this , its just not PRACTICAL
  • I am going to be shot dead at Disney and all I want is my dinner
  • We are going to be late, I am going to be charged $50 for a dinner I never got
  • Andy is going to be unable to stop himself from joining in and we will be immediately deported

I cannot tell you how long this episode lasted in my mind

It ended with the cabbie offering some colourful parentage observations then leaping back into the car and driving off at high speed with us sat in the back a bit open mouthed.

Andy decides to make some small talk (“ so , does this happen often “ ) and the driver keeps apologising for what just happened

Of course, we are no nearer to being on the right road and as we reach a literal dead end, there is the dawning realisation we have to turn around and that means going back past the Sheriff.

Its possible I may have wanted to cry at this point, instead I just keep nervously looking at the time and focusing on the $50 no show charge , its my way of not totally losing it.

The driver has the genius idea of using google maps on his phone and after a number of attempts, it finally recognises what he is after and gives him some directions.

Anyway, a bit shell shocked , we arrive at the GF at 5.45 and that exciting, never to be forgotten ride that was way more exciting than Test Track cost us $45 .

We wished the chap well and made a mental note to watch future episodes of Road Wars USA to see if we feature . ...

Edited at 08:20 AM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 15, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

From here on in is lifted from day 5 of my food report so for anyone who has already read that - this is an exact lift - no DVD extras here, its a bargain production , strictly cut and paste ! ( oh, ok there are extra pics of the Gingerbread house in here )

We did scrub up for the occasion

Our reservation was 6.15. we pitched up at 6pm and were directed behind these doors

But were told we would be seated pretty much on the dot so we took a wander around the floor

and took some snaps of the Gingerbread house - the aroma filled the lobby

As we made our way back, a CM walked past us and said “ dressed like that you must be going to the same place as me, let me show you in” – it was Jack, one half of the husband and wife serving duo in the QV room

A couple of days before , the restaurant had emailed asking if we had any particular dislikes, allergies or any celebrations. We told them we really don’t like offal ( of any description) and about the upcoming wedding.

The place setting and personal service was lovely. They don’t really like flash photography so the pics are a bit hit and miss .

The room takes 4 tables of 2, it was laid out as 2 x 2 at the back and 1 x 4 across the front. We were last to be seated so did mean we heard about the courses as they got served elsewhere .

The place setting was very impressive with the heavy cutlery and fine china

Andy was very keen for the food to start arriving

But first we got to review the personalised menus, in the big leather folios ( but then you get the insert to take away)

Slightly closer so you can read

We then met Sherry, Jack’s wife. They were very entertaining as a couple and very attentive . Sherry talked us through the wine pairing – we had decided before hand to share one – there is no way I could have managed one on my own so we agreed I would have the whites and Andy would have the reds. So that meant in reality I got half of the whites and none of the reds as Andy was keen to “ have a sip” of the whites as they came along ( read, big glugful)

So onto the food then

We started with a glass of bubbly to accompany the Maine Lobster jar topped with Siberian Caviar .

Now I am not a big ( or small for that matter) seafood fan so I think Andy was hopeful that I would be passing some of these early courses his way. However I was determined to give everything a go and this was quite delicious. I polished the lot off, much to his disappointment.

It was so delicately presented in the silver topped jar and with the mother of pearl spoon . Not being a major seafoodie I was surprised it didn’t really taste “ fishy” – It was very subtle and very nice. No leftovers from round 1.

Onto round 2 then and another seafood dish, looking at the menu, I was a bit more dubious about this one but it was a very pretty dish. Alaskan King crab with a cucumber gelee

This was a tricky devil to eat in a refined way as the gelee meant it was stuck to the plate and the cucumber wrapped round it was pretty firm so the risk was sticking your fork in and having the horror of it shooting off the plate – definitely best turned on its side. Inside was lovely crab meat – again I was pleasantly surprised and ate the lot much to Andy’s disappointment. The flower was edible too, but I left that .

The wine was a crisp sauvignon which was just perfect with it.

At this point, I think we had the first of 3 bread selections – I seem to have pics of only one of them , very remiss.

For completeness …. This is what we had , a small warmed roll with salted butter, but this is a library pic from Google ( looks like its chefs table at V&A)

Fish courses dispensed with , or so i thought, ( no leftovers on either one, nom nom), it was onto a meat course. We were curious that this was to be served with a Riesling as we would normally have a red wine with lamb. Sherry explained that as the lamb was with a fruit based curry accompaniment , the white was a better partner.

Truthfully, the wine was ok but heathens that we are, we likened it somewhat to having a bottle of Blue Nun – just that little bit too sweet for our liking

The lamb is described as a feast for all the sense as you are encouraged to take in the aroma before you eat

So here it is , Hot smoked ranch Lamb with apple and curry dressing

Quite unusual taste , very tender , had a smoky aftertaste , quite sweet , definitely could have eaten more. The chef came out later and said that this is usually the dish most guests declare as their favourite.

Delicious.

Ah but what next , another seafood course sneaking in. Fennel Crusted Diver Scallop

This was served on a warm bowl of salt, really beautifully presented . The scallop was cooked to perfection ( again much to Andy’s disappointment that I didn’t leave any for him) – it had the most delicate sauce accompanying it – every mouthful was superb. And nicely finished off with another crisp white of chenin blanc.

Another round of bread now as I have this picture of the black pepper butter which had been sculpted into a chef’s hat

The next course was described by Jack and Sherry as “ breakfast at dinner time” and was to be my favourite – carnivore that I am , I loved the meat courses, but this was just so different and such a feat of cooking skill that I was in awe of it

Poached Chicken Egg with corn foam

May not sound much but my goodness it was perfection.

An egg lightly poached and then encased in a warm ravioli ( which continues to cook the egg inside) and served on a bed of corn with bacon bits. The chef was telling us how hard this is to get right – both the pasta and egg have to be absolutely perfect to make sure neither one is overcooked.

And yes , we did use the bread to mop up the eggy goodness. It looked so simple but the taste was amazing and such an unusual dish in the middle of the menu.

Loved it .

It came with a pinot noir- I am informed it was very nice, as I don’t drink red very often, who am I to disagree ?

And now the main event – definitely for Andy, the arrival of more red wine and meat

Next up was Veal

It came with the tiniest vegetables I have ever seen and a small dish of chanterelle mushrooms

This was cooked to pinkness and I did leave some for Andy as the size was deceptive and by now I was starting to feel full – it didn’t seem possible with so many tiny courses but with the wine, water and bread, we both suddenly started to wish we had put on the expanding elasticated pants – well not me, I had the sense to wear a loose dress, cant speak for my dinner companion …. He may have needed to loosen a button or two …

I should say this course would have come with sweetbreads as well but as we don’t like offal, we didn’t get any.

This was a divine dish – the vegetables were sweet and tender and the meat was very flavoursome without being over gamey. I am assured the wine accompanying this was also very good. I think the glasses may have been stacking up by now.

This was swiftly followed by the final meat course, the Australian Kobe Beef with a Potato Sphere

More heaven on a plate – yes the potato sphere is kind of a fancy croquette potato but it was crispy crunchy on the outside and so creamy inside. The beef was incredibly tender and cooked to pink – a bit too pink for me so Andy did have some. The reduced jus was very rich and a perfect dipping amount for the meat

Another good red apparently – one of Andys favourites, a St Emilion

I am a bit perplexed where the third bread round came – maybe now – maybe before – but it was a sourdough bread that had come from one of the chef’s grandmothers recipes and had a story attached to it – of course it was totally lush.

Next up was the cheese course – this reminded me of the artisan cheese platters that you can have at the Yachtsman and Narcossees. We don’t really like blue cheese so opted for extra of the others instead

Sorry pic a bit blurred, Sherry was moving the trolley

They had clearly pre cut the right amount of cheese pieces and prepped the accompaniments so as to minimise the waiting time

Very nice mix - if I had paid more attention I could tell you what they were but I didn’t write notes – one was very like cheddar and another like Gouda. Apologies for lack of exactness there .

This was accompanied by a nice Port ( so I am told)

Onto dessert

The first was a pear quark mousse and ginger combination

initially I was a bit disappointed when I read the menu – it didn’t strike me as being a “ wow” dessert but hey give me a cheesecake and I am easily pleased – which is good as the quark with its base was kind of a posh cheesecake

This was lovely though – the quark mousse was creamy, the ginger and pear worked really well with the sharp berry compote and the spun sugar was teeth breakingly sweet

And then the fun coffee part – with this Cona Coffee maker that so impressed Andy, he immediately had to source one as lets face it, any excuse to have flames at the table is a good one.

ooh look, fire

This really is a nifty contraption and the coffee was pretty darn good too.

Andy had a brandy which was warmed in this silver bowl of hot water

The final dessert course of chocolate – a rich timbale of chocolate mouse, a white chocolate gelato with chocolate nibs to dip into and a chocolate swirl

I am ashamed to say this defeated me – it was so rich and I found the timbale to be quite dense and powerful – I couldn’t finish it – the gelato was very refreshing though

We were sad now that the evening was coming to an end. The service had been fantastic, the food was amazing and we had been thoroughly indulged.

The head chef came out to talk to each table and we had a really good conversation with her. She gave us a small insight into how the kitchen worked and I must say, if I was to come again, chefs table would be the way to go- it sounded fascinating

We enjoyed chatting to Sherry and Jack – they have been serving here for 8 years as a couple and Shery was telling us about how she started at the Coral Reef . They were lovely and we loved the way Jack said “ enjoy” as we embarked on each course, he just had the perfect way of delivering the spiel with each course.

All too soon we were picking the choccies from the board – again this is a library picture as maybe by now the white wine had affected the camera operator..

And we were presented with our bag of goodies – the orange and date loaf, the menus, choccy boxes and rose ( which lasted until we left)

And the bill ? Pic a bit blurry - may have been the wine or the realisation of the $$$$.s

$750 after adding in a tip
Was it worth it ?

As a one off, total dining experience to celebrate our upcoming wedding – absolutely. We feasted like kings and were treated royally – it was an amazing evening.

Would we do it again – for the food, yes of course , but in reality , no, I don’t think we would want to but only because we wouldn’t want to /couldn’t re-create this evening with its magical memories but it gave us a taste for maybe doing the chefs table at some future point ...

They arranged a taxi for us and we rolled out – after arriving in style we jump into a battered old Mears shuttle bus but at least this guy knows the way back and we arrive unscathed.

We head off straight to the room , cant possibly have another drink

. We are both a bit tired by now and rather full. Which did mean that we are awake a little bit in the night with indigestion and from around 3.30 Andys snoring and the aircon conspired to keep me awake – but that’s into the next day ….

A truly unforgettable day and night for so many reasons !

The next day is HERE

Edited at 07:11 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 15, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Wow Amanda, what can I say! What an amazing and wonderfully memorable experience at V & A. The food looks gorgeous

Don't you and Andy look swish as well... lovely

Now, that cab ride... all the things you mentioned going through your head are exactly the thoughts I would have had... I wouldn't have been so calm though. It seems as though the cop reacted really badly - surely he could have politely asked the cab driver to get back into the car Shocking behaviour from people who are meant to be there to help

Glad he got you there safely in the end. Great read as always, thanks for sharing

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 15, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

Wow! Wow! wow! What an amazing evening to remember for oh so many reasons. So glad you had a brilliant evening and food, oh my, gorgeous!

We had a meal at the louis xv in Monaco for our fifth wedding anniversary and it was a similar experience and cost! That was nearly 14 yrs ago and I can still remember nearly everything about it.

I truly hope this evening will continue to be enjoyed by you both for many many years to come. Thank you so much for sharing your special evening.

Can't wait to read tomorrow
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 15, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Amanda what an amazing meal (i had read your food report but it was worth a double read!). You both look so smart and you look gorgeous i love your outfit and your shawl is so pretty!

I actually cant believe your taxi experience that is dreadful! we had a bit of a run in with a cop (speeding) and they can be truly horrible jobs worth angry men. Some of them seem to have power gone to their head! But there is no excuse for any sort of racist language, sorry it put a bit of a dampner on the start of your meal but hey its a funny story for the kids :p

Cant wait for the next day, its nearly wedding time xxx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 15, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Wow Amanda, what can I say! What an amazing and wonderfully memorable experience at V & A. The food looks gorgeous

Don't you and Andy look swish as well... lovely

Now, that cab ride... all the things you mentioned going through your head are exactly the thoughts I would have had... I wouldn't have been so calm though. It seems as though the cop reacted really badly - surely he could have politely asked the cab driver to get back into the car Shocking behaviour from people who are meant to be there to help

Glad he got you there safely in the end. Great read as always, thanks for sharing
Thanks Lynda , yes it was a very memorable evening for both and

I think we were so stunned in the taxi we didn't have a chance to get stressed, it was just so blinking unbelievable. I even read this bit of the trippy back to Andy to make sure I hadn't over egged it or missed anything out . Lol, when he tells the story, it's a tad more colourful
Honestly the language was horrendous

V&A was wonderful and a perfect start to our wedding build up.
Old 13 Jan 15, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by KittyBlackDog View Post
Wow! Wow! wow! What an amazing evening to remember for oh so many reasons. So glad you had a brilliant evening and food, oh my, gorgeous!

We had a meal at the louis xv in Monaco for our fifth wedding anniversary and it was a similar experience and cost! That was nearly 14 yrs ago and I can still remember nearly everything about it.

I truly hope this evening will continue to be enjoyed by you both for many many years to come. Thank you so much for sharing your special evening.

Can't wait to read tomorrow
Thank you xx we talk about the meal often and as we bought that coffee contraption, we can re live it even more . It is a very special memory
Old 13 Jan 15, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by gtyrel10 View Post
Amanda what an amazing meal (i had read your food report but it was worth a double read!). You both look so smart and you look gorgeous i love your outfit and your shawl is so pretty!

I actually cant believe your taxi experience that is dreadful! we had a bit of a run in with a cop (speeding) and they can be truly horrible jobs worth angry men. Some of them seem to have power gone to their head! But there is no excuse for any sort of racist language, sorry it put a bit of a dampner on the start of your meal but hey its a funny story for the kids :p

Cant wait for the next day, its nearly wedding time xxx
Thanks Gemma, I think we looked better here than in our wedding outfits black is definitely more slimming !

I'm a pretty law fearing citizen and have utmost respect for people who put their lives on the line to protect us but my goodness this was totally OTT. I just cant see why there was so much of a need to swear . A quite clear "get back in your car " would have been perfectly understandable without all the expletives

As you say, it's one for the memory book ! lol,we said we we should do a video re enactment , but then there would be so many bleeps over the swear and racist words , it would end up being like a movie in morse code
Old 13 Jan 15, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ginger ninja
Imagineer

ginger ninja's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Amanda, what an amazing meal wish I was that adventurous with food to one day eat there, maybe when the kids are grown up You both scrubbed up well

Shame about the taxi ride to get there, I always worry about the sherriff over in the US, think they can be very scary at times. I would have needed a wine course to myself after such an experience

ginger ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 15, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Oh good lord, that cab journey! What a drama! You would think the taxi driver would know better than pulling up on a cop but no need for the racist remarks

Dinner looks incredible, wasted on us as we don't eat fish/seafood but the kobe beef looked incredible! Great photos of you and Andy too, what a memorable evening.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List