Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 3 Mar 17, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

The Grand Tour...Day 6 Yosemite to Monterey

As yesterday we decided to see sunrise today we set the alarm to get us up very early. I didn’t sleep particularly well as I was worried the alarm would disturb our neighbours… Luckily I woke just before the alarm kicked off and woke everyone else up, we got ready super quick by torchlight which was hilarious. As we left our accommodation we could hear a strange noise so we shone our torches around and we could see that next door had not used a padlock to secure their outside locker and they had a family of raccoons having a right feast on their goodies! We shooed them away, cleared up the mess and closed the locker but I’m sure the raccoons would be back!

We used the facilities before loading the car up, then checked out without any issues, very handy its 24 hours. We headed towards Tunnel View and saw some beautiful views as the sun began to rise, it seemed we weren’t the only crazy people as it was busier than we thought it would be.

The drive up to Glacier Point was long but straightforward and we stopped a few times on the way at viewing points. It was breath-taking, I can’t actually put into words how amazing it was. We made it to Glacier Point and this emphasised to me how disappointed I was we didn’t make it up yesterday, however DS’s health comes first and there is always next time ;-) It was very busy with people up here, some had even slept up as there were many hammocks and sleeping bags around! Not sure I’d be that brave…

We stayed for a while, until the kids started moaning anyway! They were hungry! I had packed a bag full of snacks and drinks which should keep them going for a while before we stop for breakfast anyhow. On our drive back down we took our time to allow us to admire the wildlife, we spotted pheasants, mocking jays, deer and even a coyote as it ran out in front of us.

No bears unfortunately which did disappoint the boys. We were now on the road to Monterey, very exciting as this is where we will get to experience whale watching. We stopped off in a quaint little place called Mariposa, filled up with fuel and had breakfast at a typical American diner called Happy Burger, it was very good!

We arrived in Monterey around 1.30 and drove up to Fisherman’s Wharf, we were going to walk from our hotel but the weather wasn’t great. We parked up and explored the wharf, did a little bit of shopping and grabbed a coffee to warm up whilst watching the sea lions. Once we collected the car we drove up to Cannery Row and liked what we saw so will be back!

We headed to our hotel to check in, DH, DS, DD were all going kayaking so they got sorted. It wasn’t worth unpacking as we were only here for one night, the packing cubes were a fab idea as it really helped save time and I would definitely recommend them if you’re travelling about.

We drove down to Monterey Bay Kayaks where the guys got kitted out ready for their tour, luckily for them they were the only three on the tour which was fab. DH absolutely loves otters and his dream was to see sea otters, this was the best thing for him to do as he loves kayaking so getting to watch sea otters in their habitat was amazing. I personally do not really like water so this was my idea of hell, I stood up on the pier taking photos and people watching!

Due to Sea Otters being protected they were only allowed within a certain distance of them, it was near enough so they could watch them play and crack open a clam on a stone which they still talk about now! They also witnessed sea lions, bay seals and many seabirds, they said the tour guide did a great job explaining everything to them. I’m just glad the weather brightened up.

We headed back to the hotel so everyone could freshen up then we drove to Cannery Row to eat, the kids were so tired they just wanted a burger and there was an In and Out Burger up the way so first we watched the sunset at the beach, think we parked at Sunset Drive near to Pacific Grove. It then started to rain so we headed back to grab a burger before having an early night.

Steps today; 15,103

Floors climbed; 18

*Tip of the day… Invest in packing cubes as they are an absolute blessing when hotel hopping*
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 17, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Lovely pics of the sunrise and sunset! Would never have thought of people camping it there overnight to wait to see the sunrise though.

Where did you stay in Monterey?
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 17, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tartan tink
Apprentice Imagineer

tartan tink's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yosemite looks amazing x loving your trippie

courtyard by marriott, marriott suites clearwater,rpr july 07 westridge villa,rpr, july08 cypress point,rpr, aug 09 tuscana resort july 10:spin hard rock hotel July 10 watersong villa, rpr Jan 2012, sandy ridge villa June 2016
tartan tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 17, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynne67
Apprentice Imagineer

Loving your report, wonderful photos,it's bringing back so many lovely memories from last year.
Thank you for taking the time to write it.
Carolynne
Old 4 Mar 17, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Lovely pics of the sunrise and sunset! Would never have thought of people camping it there overnight to wait to see the sunrise though.

Where did you stay in Monterey?
I know! I wouldn't with all those creepy crawlies... To be fair the people who did were very young so probably braver then me!

We stayed at the Hampton Inn It was a little way out but it was perfect for us.
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 17, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tartan tink View Post
Yosemite looks amazing x loving your trippie
Originally Posted by carolynne67 View Post
Loving your report, wonderful photos,it's bringing back so many lovely memories from last year.
Thank you for taking the time to write it.
Carolynne
Thank you!
Old 5 Mar 17, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Wow those sunrise pictures , must have been amazing.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr__Incredible
Helping Minnie

Sunrise at Glacier Point looks amazing as does the Kayaks at Monterey. Going to add those to our itinerary.
Mr__Incredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney Wishing View Post
Wow those sunrise pictures , must have been amazing.
Originally Posted by Mr__Incredible View Post
Sunrise at Glacier Point looks amazing as does the Kayaks at Monterey. Going to add those to our itinerary.
The sunrise was breathtaking! So glad we did it.

Oh yes do, you'll love it!
Old 10 Mar 17, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Great day. Loving those sunrise shots at Yosemite! Thanks for posting.