Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 16 Mar 17, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

The Grand Tour...Day 9 Visiting Universal in LA

We were up very early this morning after a super night’s sleep, Universal today and there was much excitement in our camp!

We chose to eat breakfast at the hotels cafe as we wanted to get to Universal as early as possible. The breakfast was fab unfortunately the service was poor which was a shame, whilst we waited for our bill we requested an Uber. We chose to catch an Uber to allow us to have an alcoholic drink with dinner later plus DH had driven lots so it gave him a day off.
Cost us $8 door to door, not bad a bad price I thought.

We went on the Backlot Tour first and it was amazing, it gave us a real insight to the working studio. It was really fascinating to discover what had actually been recorded there, I won’t spoil it for you but it’s certainly worth a visit.

We queued for Harry Potter next, we waited an hour and this was the longest time we queued all day but it we didn’t mind.

From here we went all over the place, grabbing snacks and drinks on our way. We met many characters today too!

Our favourite ride was Transformers 3d, it was AWESOME! I am not a great fan of the Spiderman ride at Universal Florida so I wasn’t exactly looking forward to this ride however I am glad I experienced it. We went on it 3 times! Plus we got to meet Optimus so it was good all round.

I am so glad we didn’t fork out for FOL passes as it would have been a complete waste of money in our opinion. We managed to get on everything we wanted without queuing for silly lengths of time. One attraction which did make me and DD laugh was The Walking Dead experience, we opted not to go in as firstly we don’t watch the programme and secondly we’re scaredy cats!

We waited at the exit and honestly the state of some people was comical. When DH and DS escaped, unscathed I hasten to add they said people were passing out and being carried out… They said the experience was funny rather than scary but I guess it’s down to the individual.

We had completed everything we wanted to do by 5pm, the plan was to eat at Universal and have a couple of alcoholic beverages however we were so full up on ice cream we opted to catch an Uber back to the hotel and explore Hollywood instead. The Uber cost $9 so all in it worked out $1 less than the Universal parking charge. We had a wonderful day at Universal and the weather was fantastic all day, it wasn’t overly busy either which was a blessing.

Once we had freshened up we asked at reception where best to view the infamous ‘Hollywood’ sign and we set off by foot. Once we had achieved the view we thought we’d go towards the ‘Walk of Fame’…

Well what a disgrace this was, I honestly have never been so disappointed with a tourist attraction. I know everyone says it but it was so dirty, a real dishonour to all those legendary names… I did manage to get photos of some clean ones. To be honest as you neared the main boulevard it was obvious that these ones were more cared for.

It was quite surreal being by the Chinese Theatre, the only issue here was everything was covered in Suicide Squad banners so it spoilt the look of the theatre, however to see all the handprints was incredible.

We ate at Buffalo Wild Wings (another Floridian favourite), and opted to eat Tapas style by ordering a few plates to share plus we managed to get in some cocktail’s and beers! It was really good and our waitress was lovely. From here we headed back to our hotel via the touristy shops for more tat!

Steps today; 12,920

Floors climbed; 14

*Tip of the day… Look to stay further out from Hollywood as a couple of hours visiting is ample enough!*
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 17, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynne67
Apprentice Imagineer

Another great day, you packed lots in again. I'm really surprised about people's reactions on the Walking Dead experience, we all thought it was hilarious not scary!
Carolynne
Old 20 Mar 17, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Another fabulous day, shame you didn't eat at City Walk but BWW is one of my faves too so all good

Isn't Hollywood Bvd a pile of c**p!?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A good day at Universal. I've heard so many tales of the state of the Walk of Fame but feel it is somewhere that I think we have to go and see for ourselves.
Old 23 Mar 17, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Another fabulous day, shame you didn't eat at City Walk but BWW is one of my faves too so all good

Isn't Hollywood Bvd a pile of c**p!?
Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A good day at Universal. I've heard so many tales of the state of the Walk of Fame but feel it is somewhere that I think we have to go and see for ourselves.
It is abiknox but as Jackie says you have to see it for yourself...
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Love the Studios and it looks amazing in your pics - such a shame about Hollywood though. Its so iconic and yet really rough - we took the kids and I was afraid to let them out of my sight. Glad we saw it, would not go back !
A great day
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 17, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
k4ti3-x
Apprentice Imagineer

k4ti3-x's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The Universal tour looked good - is that the Bates Motel I spied? Would love to go just to do the tour! Hollywood is a dump we were there for 20 mins then left but it's one of these things you have to see for yourself - then never go back!
k4ti3-x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 17, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Love the Studios and it looks amazing in your pics - such a shame about Hollywood though. Its so iconic and yet really rough - we took the kids and I was afraid to let them out of my sight. Glad we saw it, would not go back !
A great day
Originally Posted by k4ti3-x View Post
The Universal tour looked good - is that the Bates Motel I spied? Would love to go just to do the tour! Hollywood is a dump we were there for 20 mins then left but it's one of these things you have to see for yourself - then never go back!
Exactly! We an say we've done it now

Yep it most certainly was Bates Motel! We loved the tour!
Old 21 Apr 17, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

When we went to LA on our honeymoon (nearly 20 years ago), Holloywood Boulevard was pretty rough and it looks like it hasn't improved much. Glad you had a good day.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Omg we've booked to stay on Hollywood for 3nights?! We are staying at the Hollywood Roosevelt and plan to use it as a base, but not sure this was a good idea now 🤔