Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Mar 17, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Talking No Parks, All Recreation! Team Jamerica's 2016 Brexit - Day 11 - Sapphire Falls / Miller's

No Parks, All Recreation!

Team Jamerica’s 2016 Brexit

INDEX

Saturday 27th August 2016

Day 11 - Sapphire Falls / Miller's

It was exciting to wake up in a new location, especially having had a good explore the day before, and coming to the conclusion that we loved it at Sapphire Falls! We all started to stir from about 7am. The beds were really comfortable, but Adam kept nicking the sheets so I didn’t sleep as well as I could’ve done.

First thoughts for Simon & Adam turned to breakfast. Daniel and I always need time to wake up before we eat, which is the complete opposite to the other two! On our wander around the hotel yesterday, we’d discovered that breakfast in the Amista Cookhouse, the main restaurant was quite expensive, and Dutch Trading Co didn’t have much on offer for the first meal of the day.

However, I knew that Cabana Bay had a food court, so after suggesting we head over there for a look, we all started to get ready.

One of the downsides of our room location was the view!

As you can see, we were below ground level! But as much as I enjoy a nice view, the view from a hotel window hopefully isn’t one I’m going to spend a lot of time looking at so it wasn’t too much of a negative, and we could still see enough sky for Simon to issue a quick weather forecast. Not raining!

We left for breakfast at around 9am, me & Daniel now sufficiently awake to be looking forward to it, and Simon & Adam so ravenous they were waiting for no one…..

You can just see Cabana Bay in the distance. It was literally across the road from the main entrance of Sapphire Falls. Thankfully we didn’t ever find the road busy, so it wasn’t too tricky to negotiate. Dodging the lizards littering the pavements was another matter, they were everywhere!

We all scattered once we arrived at the food court, all of us having different favourites for breakfast. There was loads of choice and we were all able to find something we wanted. We ended up with pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausages, omelettes, fruit & yogurt, drinks etc. We were all quite impressed. The canteen style suited us, the boys particularly as they could see exactly what was on offer and make their choices carefully!

Breakfast for all 6 of us came to just under $60 which wasn’t bad at all, $10pp. Comparable to Cracker Barrel, and gives an idea of how much to allow when considering staying Club Level at the other Universal hotels….

We were all finished by 9.45, quite happy with Cabana Bay as our option for breakfast. We had a little wander around the pool area, but as it was early there wasn’t much going on.

The boys quite fancied pool hoping over to CB one day, but the opportunity never arose.

We took a slightly slower walk back to our hotel, all a lot fuller!

We were back in the room by 10am, and all got ready for a few hours around the pool. It was a cloudy morning, but still hot, although not too hot.

Down at the pool we got chatting to a family who had just arrived the night before and were staying for a week, only doing the Universal parks. Obviously not Dibbers as they didn’t know about the express passes you get from the other hotels. We gave them a few (requested!) tips, but tried not to overload them as it can sound a little overwhelming if you say too much. With a week in the parks, they had enough time to figure it all out for themselves anyway!

Funnily enough, we never saw them again – must’ve been enjoying the parks too much!

The boys didn’t waste any time chatting, they were in the water faster than a... Come on, you should know it by now

It was a lovely morning, the pool was quiet – I’m guessing most guests would head to the parks first thing, that’s what we would do, before the temperature gets too much.

Before getting in the water myself I had a wander, taking some photos along the way as if it leave it, I usually end up going home and realising I have photos of nothing but boys in water!

Seating area near the Drhum Club

Drhum Club

Drinks machines

Fire Pit

View from the top of the slide

Royal Pacific is hiding just behind the palm trees under the arch on the left

Cabanas for hire

Plenty of sun loungers (and life vests for the littlies! )

Once back from my wander, I was hoping for a bit of a lie down in the sun, but the boys had other ideas.

Yup, that’s me being frogmarched to the top of the slide…..

As you can see, Daniel more than made up for my (and Simon’s!) rather boring entrance….

The slide was fun to be fair, and for some reason it amuses the boys to have me go on it so how can I refuse?!

We then began a game of Marco Polo. If you’re not familiar with it, basically one person closes their eyes, and has to try and find the others by listening for them calling ‘Marco Polo’. Of course, it could be a pointless game if those trying to be found just disappear, but there’s no fun in that so what you do is go up to the ‘finder’, say ‘Marco Polo’ and then try and get away without them catching you. I don’t mind it, but hate being the one with my eyes closed as I hate the element of surprise. I played for a little while and then I was then allowed my bit of time in the sun.

At around 12 Daniel said he was feeling a bit hot and dizzy and so I took him back to the room and we just chilled in the room for a while.

His neck will still giving him a bit of bother, particularly when wearing his rash vest which is why, despite my better judgment, I let him (and therefore Adam too) go without it.

Adam & Grandma joined us about half an hour later, and shortly after that Simon appeared too. Grandad stayed out in the sun, naturally. He wasn’t quite the right shade of mahogany.

We made the mistake of putting the TV on, as the boys found Hull v Man Utd and wanted to watch it, having obvious football withdrawals.

I managed to prise them away at 60 minutes, which was 1.45pm. Adam, Grandma & Simon went back to the pool, Daniel and I went to Dutch Trading for a look.

Daniel ended up just getting a drink refill but I bought a bowl of tomato soup for Adam as it’s his favourite. It was $4, so quite reasonable for a quick snack. Perhaps not the first thing you’d think of having sat around the pool in the blazing sunshine, but apparently it hit the spot!

Back at the pool we ordered chicken tenders and a burger to share, again $7 each. Very good value for resort food.

Once the boys were back in the water, a little boy asked them if they’d like to play. They were a bit reluctant at first as he was so young, but when I quietly pointed out they weren’t doing anything else, they accepted his invitation! His name was Chris and he turned out to be about 5. They played hide and seek, and chase and had a good time. Both boys are very good with little ones, very patient and quite imaginative, so of course Chris wouldn’t leave them alone. It was fine though, they weren’t complaining and actually enjoyed the company.

And they were rewarded for being nice by eventually discovering that Chris had an older brother, Angel, who was 12, and sat very nicely in between their own two ages and the four of them played together for the rest of the day.

The pool was really busy during the afternoon, like people soup, but never did it seem too busy.

There were a few drops of rain at 3pm but only for a couple of minutes. However, at 3.45 the rain started again and we were asked to get out of the pool because of the weather.

We all went back to our rooms, where Simon jumped in the shower while the rest of us relaxed on the beds.

At 4pm it started absolutely hammering it down and 20 minutes later we were treated to thunder and lightning.

For dinner we decided to try Miller’s again, this time the one on I-Drive. We left just after 5pm.

We had a five minute wait to be seated, which wasn’t that bad as the place seemed to be heaving.

It didn’t take long for us to decide what we were having. Fajitas for Grandma, Simon & Adam, Cajun chicken pasta for me, spaghetti for Daniel and Asian chicken for Grandad, along with a few starters to get us going.

Our waitress wasn’t great. When she was bringing out the fajitas it was blatantly obvious that our table was a little on the small side for all the plates it involved, particularly as we had three lots. But instead of pre-empting this and clearing away the starters first, she just handed the full plates to us. I’m not sure if she expected us to magic up some space, but we had to suggest she clear some plates away!

When Grandad ordered a beer, she announced that she was going to bring him a water too. Perhaps, due to his extended time in the sun, she felt he needed cooling down? Of course, the extra glass did nothing to help with the lack of space! Talking of lack of space, lack of personal space was not something that bothered her either, and she was quite happy to lean over each us as she took our orders in the first place.

Everyone had their meals but mine was still to arrive. However, when I saw our waitress doing her thing at another table, it soon became apparent that I wasn’t getting any food! I managed to get her attention and asked about my meal and she scurried off without saying anything. A few minutes later she came back and said that it had been forgotten. #no≈≈≈≈sherlock !

Everyone else tucked in, and by the time the manager brought my pasta over, Simon and Daniel had completely finished! Interestingly, as he gave me my food, the manager could barely look at me, just hurriedly muttered something about taking my food off the bill, and we didn’t see our original waitress again. It’s not like we made a huge fuss, but if anything, she probably felt our table and any possible tip was a lost cause by this point!

The service, as you can see, left an awful lot to be desired. Our drinks were empty a lot of the time, I wasn’t offered a refill at all, but the food itself was okay. However, I didn’t eat much of mine as by the time it came, everyone else had either finished or almost finished and I’d gone past it by then.

This visit to Miller’s was reminiscent of our very first visit a few years before, and served to push Miller’s back down our list of restaurants, which is a shame as we’d really enjoyed the one at Champions Gate the week before.

We settled the bill leaving a $15 tip which was quite generous if you ask me, but 5 of the meals were good and we didn’t pay for mine at all.

After dinner the boys asked if we could go to SuperTarget so that they could stock up on sweets to take home. Grandma & I also wanted to get some bits and so it seemed like a good idea. Simon used the sat nav to find the nearest one, which was near Mall of Millenia.

The boys used their inbuilt sat nav to track down the candy aisle and when we caught up with them, Daniel was inside the trolley scooping all the Milk Duds, which were on the top shelf, into the cart! I really regret not taking a photo! I got a few Ghirardelli bags, at $8 for two, but forgot the Junior Mints .

When paying, the cashier took 5 boxes of Milk Duds off me and put them by her side. I had no idea what she was doing, but thought it a cheek if she was trying to monitor Daniel’s Dud intake! However, she put through the rest of my shopping, then once I’d paid she handed me a $5 gift card and then put the rest of the Duds through and used the card to pay for them. Aha! That was pretty cool of her, 33c (the tax) for 5 boxes of Milk Duds when they’re usually a dollar each. 

We then went back to the hotel for a game of Blob.

The big window near us overlooked the water taxi dock, and I swear, it became quite weird how, every single time I looked out of the window, I saw a water taxi. Every single time. It was either on its way in, on its way out, or parked up. Simon thought I was messing about, so every time I said it, he would then have to have a look himself!

There was lots of messing around, as usual, with Ace of Spades being sung a few times. Grandad & Simon enjoyed a Bud Lite each from the Strong Water Tavern, $16 for the two including tax and tip.

No win for Simon tonight, in fact, it was only me that stopped him from being the outright loser….

After cards, me, Simon & the boys went down to the pool. Grandma & Grandad said they might come down later, but were going to have a wander around the hotel instead.

The boys got in the pool whereas I hadn’t got changed so I just paddled. However, it was so lovely and warm that I went back and got changed. Simon stayed on the side though, he was already showered remember!

Diary of a Wimpy Kid was the movie being shown, and it was quite nice sitting in the shallow part of the pool watching.

It was very busy, and the queue for the slide was quite lengthy. There weren’t many free loungers, but it was hard to tell if they were being used or if the towels were just left there. I do wish people would clear away when they are finished – it wouldn’t take much as there are towel bins dotted around.

Me and the boys made our way into the hot tub – would’ve been more accurate to call it the hot cauldron, it was absolutely boiling! It was nice and relaxing though. Does anyone else feel a little bit awkward just sat around, facing other people, not quite knowing what’s going on under the water, or where to look, or whether to start a conversation or not? No? Just me then 

After the hot tub we went back to the room. It was around 10.20, and Grandma & Grandad were in their room just getting ready to come and meet us. They’d been to Strong Water Tavern, and having seen people having food in there, they’d decided to have some too as it had looked really good, and apparently it was!

After we’d all showered (except Simon of course!) we got ready for bed. I’d bought a few miniatures in SuperTarget to try on Daniel’s neck. Aloe Gel seemed okay to begin with but then began to sting, whereas plain old Vaseline was okay. If anyone has any advice, or ideas as to what was going on, I’d be very grateful, as would Daniel. He still talks about his sore neck now….

We were all in bed for 11, and thanks to Daniel having a sleepover next door, I didn’t have to share with Adam, and therefore was hoping for a better night’s sleep!

Edited at 11:11 PM.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Another lovely day hardcore pool time even going back in after tea! Definitely with you on the hot tub, if I'm going in I'd rather others get out haha! Strangers that is, I'm alright with family
Old 29 Mar 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

This sounds like a fun day in the pool! Really impressed by those food prices.

Can't believe the bad service you got at Millers, such a shame we usually love it there.

Was it hard being so close to universal without popping in? Xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 17, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good day we still haven't been to Millers some say it's great others say otherwise, I guess one day we might try it. Can't beat a walk round target after dinner

Joan
Old 29 Mar 17, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
A nice relaxing day, shame about millers.

Being so close to the parks did any of you get the urge to go or miss it?
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh lovely. Could so do with a Florida pool day tomorrow.
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 17, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

The hotel looks lovely! Especially the pool area. Shame about Millers, we have found it very hit and miss too.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 17, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Another lovely day hardcore pool time even going back in after tea! Definitely with you on the hot tub, if I'm going in I'd rather others get out haha! Strangers that is, I'm alright with family
Perhaps they should make individual hot tubs - that would be pretty cool! Heard something the other day about the, er, contents of Jacuzzis. I won't share it, you'd never go in one again...

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
This sounds like a fun day in the pool! Really impressed by those food prices.

Can't believe the bad service you got at Millers, such a shame we usually love it there.

Was it hard being so close to universal without popping in? Xx
Hi Michelle

There was one occasion when we were a bit sad about not going into the parks, which is coming up 'tomorrow'. But otherwise, we honestly could've been anywhere so we weren't thinking about the parks x

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good day we still haven't been to Millers some say it's great others say otherwise, I guess one day we might try it. Can't beat a walk round target after dinner

Joan
Hi Joan

I'm not sure that we'd rush back to Miller's but I'd never advise anyone to not go, especially as we seem to be in the minority! Always best to make your own mind up, don't you agree? Especially when it comes to my Mum and Sweet Tomatoes x

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
A nice relaxing day, shame about millers.

Being so close to the parks did any of you get the urge to go or miss it?
Ahhh, as I said to Michelle above, there was one occasion, which will come up in the next report, but otherwise no, not really

Originally Posted by Zomax25 View Post
Oh lovely. Could so do with a Florida pool day tomorrow.
Oh I know, and the day after that, and the day after that too!

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
The hotel looks lovely! Especially the pool area. Shame about Millers, we have found it very hit and miss too.
The hotel was really lovely, absolutely no complaints from us
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 17, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi Jo

We did actually cross the threshold of ST twice last time but when you're lucky enough to go for a month you do need a break (at our age anyway) from the likes of Longhorn, Carrabbas's and Red Lobster

Still not sure about Millers though. Every time we pass the one opposite Rolling Oaks the car park is rammed so that must say something. The recently closed Logans nearby was being fitted out when we there but no sign of who is "coming soon"

Mick
Old 30 Mar 17, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Jo sounds like a lovely relaxing day,hope daniels neck is ok now, shame about millers though hope we fare better next week i have just booked a cabanna for next friday at aquatica our first full day so hoping for a nice relaxing day just like yours sounded
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List