Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 May 17, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

An Impromptu Adventure, August 2016: Day 2 More Universal fun

I had not slept well at all. I’d been really poorly in the night so had had very little sleep, my lovely husband had slept through my pain and was surprised to hear how unwell I’d been; he must have been shattered.

Even though it was only 5:30, we got up, showered and coffeed at a leisurely pace, I noted that there was only 2 coffees in the pack, the rest was green tea and decaf, we decided we’d ask for more coffee on our way out. Despite buying our lovely breakfast treats, we didn’t eat them because my tummy was feeling rough. We’d been having problems with John’s phone and finally it resolved itself this morning. As we finished getting ready Optimus Prime phoned to tell us to get up…bit late, Prime! We left a tip in the room and walked down to the Orchid Lounge to pick up some fruit for breakfast. The fruit and donut (guess who ate what?) was $7.50. The pineapple was a little under ripe, but otherwise it was an easy breakfast on my tummy. Amy Sweezy had predicted a lovely hot day with isolated showers and letting the warm sunshine wash over us as we walked to the park suggested she was right. Honestly, I love that walk to the parks, it’s peaceful and serene before the chaos which ensues.

As we arrived at bag check I had a hair disaster, I got tangled in my bag, dropped my phone and ended up in a big knot. John helped untangle me and we arrived at Universal for 7:45 and was in the queue for Gingotts at 8:04, which promptly went tech for 15mins! Perhaps it wasn’t well either?

Once we’d ridden, we went on HE. Now, I love this ride, but I have a bit of a complaint, we are always polite and as a couple we seem to always end up in the carriage last which means we don’t get our pick of seats. This wouldn’t be a problem if everyone we shared a carriage with was as polite as us, but no, this time we shared with a troll who promptly put his big head in the way of the “window” and stayed there for the entire journey. Someone mentioned this to him but he continued to stay there and it made the ride a bit awkward.

Without further incident we arrived safely at Hogsmeade and wander straight through to get on Kong. We were in the queue for this a 9:03 with a 60 min waiting time posted! Actually we waited 30, Doc was our driver. There was a little incident at the front of the queue. They’d shouted for a party of 2, which ended up being us and we seemed to bypass a lot of people. Once we were there it turned out there was no room for us and we had to wait for the next truck which made us feel like we had pushed in, but I know we didn’t.

Next up was Hulk at 10, en route we recharged the cups for $14. As we got to the metal detector John had forgotten his phone was in his pocket so he had to go back while I waited on one side for him. As always this was a great ride and I like the re-theming. We spent a little time Marvel Super Hero Land and visited the friendly neighbourhood Spiderman.

By this point it was nearly 11 and I was starving! We decided on pizza as I love Universal’s pizza (we even debated a full one, but my poorly tummy said that might be too much). At 10:50 (10 mins earlier than posted) Café4 opened and we ordered 2 combos: a cheese and speciality, $24.58. All the tables still had their reserved signs on so no one sits in them before the place opens so it was easy to get a table. A little side note, if we had filled the cups up here it would have cost $1.27, so I walked across the street and filled it up for free there while John paid for the pizza.

It was a hot day today and already 32 degrees, so we decided to wander round the park taking in the atmosphere, snapping pics and dodging into shops for a cool. As we did this, we went on the Sky Trolley ride, John got himself some dipping dots (cookie flavour) at the Lost Continent. These had changed a little and were already in little tubs. We continued to wander through Hogsmeade and noted the HE looked busy, as we wandered we took a few sweaty selfies – man, it was HOT and my tummy was not feeling brilliant.

Deciding a serious cool was needed we dipped into the Discovery Centre where John played and I sat – haha, he sounds like a child, but I think I mean he explored the discovery centre having a go on some of the games, does that make him sound like an adult? Probably not. We watched a baby raptor hatch and I finally started to feel a little better.

Now, I hate getting wet in my clothes and avoid water rides at all costs, but when we stay on site I can “manage” as I can nip back to change. When we first went to Orlando together if we went on water rides I used to demand John bought me a new outfit. Is it just me that thinks it’s cheeky that the lockers in the park are free while riding except on water rides where they are $4 for 90mins?!? Since we have some expensive camera equipment it’s not worth the risk though, so John coughed up. We rode Jurassic Park and got soaked in the front row! Deciding against Ripsaw – we just think it’s a bit naff – headed to Bluto’s and, as always, got absolutely drenched!

We headed back to pick out stuff from our lockers and we’d BOTH forgotten our locker numbers #rookies. I had to ask the attendant, but John managed to remember his. Cameras collected we headed for the exit and refilling our drinks on the way out. John tried a Pibb zero and I had a minutemaid berry. As I was soaked, my tummy wasn’t feeling marvellous and I was really tired, coupled with the looming black clouds which threatened one of Sweezy’s isolated showers we headed back to the hotel, I’ve noted the time was 14:25 when we arrived back.

After a 20 min powernap for me and then a quick shower and change I emerged feeling like a new women. Not only that but I was absolutely ravenous! By 3:30 we were making our way back to CityWalk in search of food. Here, I believe we made one of the best food decisions I think we’ve ever made: Anojitos. We shared guacamole to start, John doesn’t like avocados, but he loved this, he’s even suggested that this time we get one each! For mains we had the sharing steak and chicken fajitas. We followed this with fried ice cream washing it all down bit sugar cane coke and sprite. At $61.25 we both agreed it was great value for money, with tip it was $73. As we went to leave my bag was caught under the leg of the table, I lifted the leg slightly to release it and whoosh…one of the bottles started to slide, I tried to catch it, but missed sending it speeding across the table and onto the floor; SMASH! Brilliant, all 3 tables looked at me as I profusely apologised to the server who started clearing it up.

As I walked out into the sun red faced I looked down to discover a nice splodge of salsa on my white playsuit – how attractive. Still, it was a lovely meal and I can’t wait to return on our next trip wearing dark clothes and with no bag.

As we wandered round CityWalk we happened across a funky little shops where we bought a ‘Love Labs’ fridge magnet for my mum and dad who have 2 labradors. When we returned and gave it to them we laughed as they had the matching NYC one from their friends.

After that we headed into US where I restroomed in a vain attempt to sort the salsa spot – and made it worse. Ducking into the darkness of terminator helped me to hide the scruffy mess I had become. We noted it was dated now as we both had double vision when watching it and I fell asleep.

As we emerged the parade was due to start so we sat and waited. As it appeared some family came and stood ridiculously close despite there being loads of room around us. Seriously people it’s too hot, step away! The parade is cute, but it’s not Festival of Fantasy, or even Stars in their Motorcars for anyone who remembers that one?

Then we paid a visit to ET’s home planet and he clearly said our names at the end. After saving one alien, we went to shoot some at MIB – sorry, ET. We went round on this twice: John 506,000 / 412,000 and I managed 350,000 / 100,000 (not sure what happened to me the second time round).

We left the studios by the side exit and shopped in Hard Rock where I bought a tee for $37. David served us and was really chatty, he was telling us all about the people who are printed on the money now and past. I noted that I found it interesting, but didn’t write any of the facts…obviously I was really interested. John took some CW pics at night and we walked back to the hotel; I noted that rickshaws were a real pain on the way back.

We arrived back in the room at 8:55 and put on the Olympics to watch Usain Bolt win, as we watched this athlete with the body of a god we worked on ours by eating our treats from last night. By 21:40 it was lights out. Despite being poorly I’d had a great day – we both had.

Today’s step count was: 24,485.

Edited at 05:55 PM.
Niki T is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Lovely day apart from your poorly tummy at the beginning. Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

Thank you, I think it was the travelling that did me, just glad it didn't last long x
Niki T is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 17, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Antojitos looks good and your mishap made me smile

How was the brookie? Looks like something I would enjoy.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 17, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mortimer Mouse View Post
Antojitos looks good and your mishap made me smile

How was the brookie? Looks like something I would enjoy.
I'm so clumsy ? Brookie was lovely, looking forward to another later this year x
Old 13 May 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sorry you felt ill, but you trooped on and had a great day 🤗
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
Sorry you felt ill, but you trooped on and had a great day 🤗
It's hard not to have a great time
Old 14 May 17, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

I love your dress! Also feel your pain on the tummy front - I had the same issue last year 😐
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MinnieMrsA View Post
I love your dress! Also feel your pain on the tummy front - I had the same issue last year 😐
I definitely think the travelling doesn't agree with me. 😞 My lovely dh picked the dress for me as a surprise one Christmas x
Old 14 May 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not so good you weren't 100% but pleased to see it didn't seem to impact your day too much
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List