Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 May 17, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wozza View Post
I finished that thread and then instantly received an email re new Estée Lauder foundation... THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS WOZZA!
If there are certain sites with items that tempt you into impulse buying unsubscribe from their emails to remove some of the temptation
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wozza View Post
Thanks for the tips! Unsubscribing from emails is a great one as I'm pretty sure that's how I end up spending money half the time! X
I unsubscribed to pretty much everything a few months ago and it's definitely helped a lot.

I love spending but completely love seeing my savings go up more!
Unexpectedpenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Also I use Lloyds 'Save The Change' feature which has really helped with saving and I don't even notice it. If you buy something for say £9.35 it'll round it to £10 and put the 65p straight to savings.
It's small amounts but they've added up quickly!
I think other banks have similar.
Unexpectedpenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

I'm going to say the word that changed my life and saved me a fortune... spreadsheets.

I had to give up work when I had twins (nursery fees were seriously ludicrous for two babies) so cutting our income in half was a shock to the system to say the least! Nothing goes out of the accounts without going on the spreadsheet now. Yes, it's tedious admin at times but it was the best thing that ever happened to our finances as we saved so much money because we HAD to. If only I'd done it when we were DINKS then I could have been going to Florida every year. Hindsight eh... ?
Old 26 May 17, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bee happy View Post
Wow £220 a month,how did you manage that ? What did you change ?
That's amazing 😁
We did the same. If you have been a loyal customer with insurance etc. for years then you are most likely being ripped off - we certainly were.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I downloaded the app "Spending" onto my iphone and put in everything i spend.
I also take a set amount out each week in cash and when its gone its gone... if I have any left it goes into my terramundi jar.
Paying cash certainly makes you think twice.

I found lidl/aldi to be a false economy as the fruit and veg went off so quickly so I have reverted back to tesco but shop carefully (and only go when I have just eaten)

Instead of eating out every week we now eat out every second or third week and I put what we would have spent in my terramundi (cant wait to see how much is in it)
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tbone
slightly serious Dibber

Tbone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I/we need to get our spending under control. After maternity leave I didn't go back to my job childcare too expensive so just got a part time job so no extras at the moment just forget that when I'm in a shop. Here's to a fresh start in June

Good luck all
Tbone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
The Bobbo's
Very Serious Dibber

I find that using cash prevents me from buying things I really don't need. I take out of my account an amount I can safely spend and I stick to it. I can quite easily walk round my local Home Bargains and spend £50. However, if that makes a dent in my cash allowance, I suddenly start to question if I really need what I put in my basket. Honestly, it works.
Old 26 May 17, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bee happy View Post
Wow £220 a month,how did you manage that ? What did you change ?
That's amazing 😁
Hi, it was all the things I should have done months before. Changed suppliers or asked for a better deal with all our household and mobile phone bills. Changed bank accounts etc. There is a list on Martin lewis Web page to work through. I haven't reduced any of the usage just the bills. Well worth looking into.
Old 27 May 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

We really need to overhaul our outgoings as DH is losing money in a restructure at work.
I don't go to shops unless something specific to buy. I also unsubscribed to emails. Take temptation out the way. I believe we have always been savvy with money but with a £250 drop in monthly income I think we need to also be thrifty to keep our treats.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List