Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 9 Jul 17, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Road Trip – OLD & NEW ADVENTURES – Day 3 – Tarpon Springs, Homosassa, Crystal River

Road Trip – OLD & NEW ADVENTURES – Day 3 – Tarpon Springs, Homosassa, Crystal River

Time to say goodbye to Clearwater Beach and start our road trip proper! We checked out of the Sta N Pla at about 9.30am – thanked them for a great stay and said we’d be back! We were impressed by the helpfulness of everyone we encountered and the offers of free sunshades, beach chairs etc.

The forecast that day wasn’t great and it was overcast, windy etc with storms predicted. Today was to be an example of how fickle the weather in Florida can be.

First stop was Tarpon Springs. This is a Greek community and all things sponge fishing related. We called in at the Hella Café for breakfast, or rather coffee and cake! Lovely. It was getting very dark outside and some of the shops were bringing in their outside stuff just in case. We carried on our walk of the dockside and watched the sponges being brought ashore.

On the way back to the car I bought a large sponge for only $7.50 – it would cost about £40 here probably! I’ve cut it in half now. Will also bought me a flowy cool dress which I fell in love with – it was in a sale and only $10 – I don’t do dresses generally but really liked this.

We stopped next at a big Walmart to get DD a Katy Perry lipstick. There is one called Kitty Purry which is exclusive to Walmart and we managed to get the last one! I was impressed by the osprey nesting platforms in the carpark – lovely to see them so commonly in Florida and a shame they are so scarce here.

We continued up the Alt 19 north to Weeki Washee Springs, where we had intended to watch the mermaid show and go on the boat. It had just closed due to impending lightning! It did look interesting though – very well kept and good value.

So we pressed on up the road and pulled in at Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park. I had originally booked to stay here before changing my mind to Crystal River for the manatee swim. It was open! When we paid they warned us not to be in the underwater viewing area if there was lightning as it was all metal – eek!

A road train takes you off to the Park and trails – about 5 minutes journey. We walked the trail and went in the underwater bit – lovely views of the fish and saw a manatee too! It thundered while we were in there so thought it best to come back up quickly – thankfully nothing came of it though and there was no lightning.

We spent an hour wandering the trail and looking at the animals and birds. It did rain a bit but there were plenty of overhanging trees so we didn’t get more than splashed a bit. We shared a very nice foot-long hot dog in the café and watched the humming birds outside on a plant. We had a brilliant time here despite the showers and would highly recommend it.

At 4pm we checked into the amazing Plantation Hotel (and associated golf resort) in Crystal River. This was a total bargain I’d got months back and the receptionist commented on the great rate I’d got of $85 – about half price! She was really helpful and even gave us a complimentary late check-out for noon next day, even though our 7.15am swim wasn’t with their tour! Very impressed. Our room was gorgeous – very luxurious with a huge bed.

Now Crystal River is really close to Homosassa but they had had a huge storm and everywhere was flooded to the point of the river overflowing! How strange we missed it all just down the road.

We had a walk round the grounds before going to the bar and having some cocktails. The swimming pool was just the best but we decided it wasn't really the weather for it.

A party of 10 golfers returned and sat round the bar. They were obviously on a men’s trip and were loud! One especially – I bet his wife was glad of a bit of peace for a while, if he had one even! They were fine though and were all off to a restaurant in town for dinner. So we decided to eat at the hotel…! We booked a table for 7pm. We needed an earlyish night tonight as we had to be up at 6.30am.

Need not have booked as it turned out there was lots of room and we sat by the window looking out at the lovely swimming pool and grounds. The meal was just fantastic. They bought a really tasty corn bread to start off with and then we had NY strip steak for Will and a steak and rice dish for me. I can’t remember the name of it but it was amazing!

After dinner we had another walk round the grounds and saw the water had receeded a bit. These guys were on the plants – about 3 inches long each of them!

Into our huge and luxurious bed. Watched a bit of tv and read for a while before early sleep by 10pm! Manatees tomorrow!

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...4#post12643444

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 04:39 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
moshman10
Imagineer

moshman10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Cody's Roadhouse in Crystal River is a must do eating experience, it knocks Manny's into a coked hat. If you pass through that way again, give it a try.
Old 11 Jul 17, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

The hotel looks lovely, the building looks like something from a movie.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

It was gorgeous. Such a shame it had been raining and this came out blurred.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Lovely hotel.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

What a beautiful hotel x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 17, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
fa$$a
Trying for More Ears

I am really enjoying your trip report thank you 👍🏻 We also like to explore every inch of Florida, so it's always great to see other people's view of it too. I stock up on sponges whenever we are in the Tarpon area, they're amazing value aren't they?
Looking forward to reading more, thank you again.
Claire
fa$$a is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 17, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by fa$$a View Post
I am really enjoying your trip report thank you 👍🏻 We also like to explore every inch of Florida, so it's always great to see other people's view of it too. I stock up on sponges whenever we are in the Tarpon area, they're amazing value aren't they?
Looking forward to reading more, thank you again.
Claire
Thank you! Am enjoying writing it - just don't have enough time!

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 5 Aug 17, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

What a great day even with the weather. Love the look of Tarpon Springs and definitely want to visit that hotel and Homassa Springs. All looks so lovely .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by moshman10 View Post
Cody's Roadhouse in Crystal River is a must do eating experience, it knocks Manny's into a coked hat. If you pass through that way again, give it a try.
Ohh,Cody's forgot how good that was 😊😊 visited there several times when we stayed at Spring Hill ,loved Homasassa manatees,Lu the hippo. Tarpon Springs another lovely place.

Edited at 11:26 PM.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List