Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 27 Jul 17, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Road Trip – OLD & NEW ADVENTURES – Day 6 – St. Augustine & Mount Dora

Road Trip – OLD & NEW ADVENTURES – Day 6 – St. Augustine & Mount Dora

Another brilliant breakfast at the Penny Farthing Inn – this time sausage and cheese quiche with fruit and biscuit (scone). Breakfast also came with toast, jam and juice. We finished packing and said our goodbyes. I’d definitely like to return here one day.

Back on the road, but not very far as we only drove just over the bridge and down to the lighthouse for Will to climb it. I’m not that keen – not because I couldn’t manage the 217 steps but because I don’t like spiral staircases made of metal which you can see through, which lighthouses invariably are.

I waited in the gift shop and gardens while he did the deed. Luckily, he took his camera and got some good shots of the surrounding area and looking back over to St. Augustine. Fantastic views despite the wasps – which he hates so didn’t spend very long at the top!

We’d decided to go down the A1A along the coast and then cut inland at Ormond Beach. We did think about going as far down as Daytona but the road across from there went right through a massive Country Music Festival which was on that weekend, being Memorial Weekend. Best avoid the traffic jams!

There were lots of lovely houses along this road and we could see how precarious some were at times of flooding, and repairs from the Hurricane Matthew. We stopped at Flagler beach for a coffee at a lovely little café called the Blue Heron Café, with all things heron inside. We had a walk on the beach before heading back to the car.

We had another stop at a Walmart on the Ormond Beach city limits for a restroom and another 2 Kitty Purry lipsticks (one for now and one for Christmas present!). The road headed off towards the Ocala National Forest.

We stopped again at an Ice Cream shop/smoke shop at Astor. There was a guy outside dressed as an ice cream trying to get custom. He must have been sweltering in his outfit. It was a really offbeat place with a dead Transformer and a Giraffe outside too 😊

Back on the road to Mount Dora. Passing through the forest we went past Alexander Springs. This had a long line of cars trying to get into the car park. Sign of things to come for Anna Maria later …!

We finally arrived at the Comfort Inn, Mount Dora. Very easy to find and we were upgraded to a lake view room of the small lake outside.

The hotel had a nice pool so we decided to go for a swim after our journey. I wore my new dress down to the pool as it was flowy and a good cover-up. When we got back to the room I hung it up to get the creases out of it. Not a great idea as I left it in the wardrobe when we checked out! I didn’t realise until a few days later ☹

We drove into Mount Dora in the evening. Not very far but, in hindsight, this was the only hotel I wouldn’t book again. Not because there was anything wrong it it, but just because we couldn’t walk into town. Of course, there's no Mount in Dora at all - just a bit of hill, which is HUGE in Florida terms!

We had an explore of the streets and saw the Goblin Market restaurant. I’d read about this and we headed inside. They were heaving but found us a table and gave us the menus. We took a look at the dishes and prices and left! Just too expensive – sorry goblins! We’ve never done that before and I’m sure it would have been lovely, but as Will is such a picky eater it wasn’t worth the money.

We finally settled on Copacabana – a Cuban restaurant which looked lively and was more our price range. I had tilapia with rice and plantains and Will had another steak – lovely!

Each table was serenaded by this guy….

He really seemed to like Will, ignored me and we had an extra song!

This was also Cup Final Day in UK. Arsenal 2 Chelsea 1. The first Cup Final that Will has EVER missed …..

Seaplane and Cat Boat tomorrow!

Index - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...4#post12643444

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 05:06 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

I forgot to add this photo that Will took at Flagler Beach. Obviously a Game of Thrones fan, like us!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022

Edited at 10:19 AM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I love seeing all the quirky things you come across on your travels.

Mount Dora looks like a film set.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Please don't hate me, but I *LAUGHED* at the thought of you slinking out of the too-expensive restaurant!

Then I went and looked at the menu - and you're right, it ain't cheap! I think it's the pretentious name that would have put me off, though...

Let's name our restaurant after a mysterious Victorian poem! We're so cultured!

Forgive me, owners of Goblin Market... ...no wonder I was the despair of my English professors...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Please don't hate me, but I *LAUGHED* at the thought of you slinking out of the too-expensive restaurant!

Then I went and looked at the menu - and you're right, it ain't cheap! I think it's the pretentious name that would have put me off, though...

Let's name our restaurant after a mysterious Victorian poem! We're so cultured!

Forgive me, owners of Goblin Market... ...no wonder I was the despair of my English professors...

Of course not! We were laughing too Did look a lovely place but very dark in places inside, although we were going to be outside. Maybe the dark hides the pretentiousness of the food!

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 5 Aug 17, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Oh no to the forgotten dress the next day. Never seen pics of Mount Dora before, looks a lovely place.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List