Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 1 Aug 17, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Lucy & Nick // The Superfan and the Skeptic // Day 5 - Epcot & Flying Fish

I owe you another apology for a late posting. My best friend came to visit from Manchester and then I went on holiday with my family, so I have not had time to post another day, but here you are! It wasn't quite Disney, but we had a lovely time down in the South of France. Just for completeness, here is a photo of us all on the beach on our last night: Me, my mum and sister and then my step-dad and his two children

Now, back to the trippie...

Find the trip index here

Find day 4 here

Day 5 - Epcot & Flying Fish

This morning I woke up early, but I knew that Nick had been feeling tired so I let him sleep until 8.30am. We got up and ready and we were down waiting for the bus to Epcot by 9.20am. The bus came within about 5 minutes and we were on our way.

Epcot is a real marmite park, and my family are not fans at all so I was looking forward to seeing what Nick made of it. I absolutely love Epcot, so I was really hoping that he would too.

We were soon pulling into Epcot and the queue weren’t too bad at this point so we were inside the park walking under Spaceship Earth by 10am.
Spoiler alert: this photo was definitely taken later in the day as we walked back through Epcot to get to Flying Fish.

We had a quick wander up to Club Cool/Starbucks to get a drink but they weren’t open yet so instead we headed over to our first fastpass at Soarin’. This is definitely high up on my list of top rides, so I am definitely looking forward to trying Flight of Passage next year. We ended up on the front row, but I would have asked to sit there anyway if we had not.
We did however end up to the right hand side, and although I loved the ride, I definitely prefer it from dead centre. It is a bit weird watching the Eiffel Tower start to bend! Even with this, we still both loved it!

After Soarin we headed over to Figment. I know that a lot of people really don’t like Figment/don’t get it but I absolutely LOVE it. When I was younger I used to have my own little Figment plush that went everywhere with and I still have such a soft spot for him! Nick was not impressed at all by the ride and told me there was no way we were going on it again during the holiday haha.
On exiting through the shop I saw some Figment plushes and I really wanted to buy one, but decided not to. I really wish I had done now, I really regret it, especially with the rumours of Inside Out replacing Figment. I hope I can still grab one next October when we are there.

Our next fastpass was for Mission Space and was not until 1pm and it was still only 11am at this point. We decided to queue for this instead as it said only 20 minutes. The queue actually ended up being 40 minutes and seemed to take absolutely forever. The only saving grace was that it happened to be in the air conditioning! We did the orange version but we were still incredibly underwhelmed! I have read so many things on here about it being really intense and it making people feel ill so I think I was just expecting more. I don’t think I would be fussed about doing it again, although they have announced another new course for the improvements so I might be tempted to try that.
I do also have to say that I am very excited about the new Mission Space restaurant that they are building. It looks very cool!

By this point the queues for most of the rides were quite long so we decided to grab a drink from Club Cool. The resounding favourite was definitely Melon Frosty, although there are a few I really like.
I did manage to convince Nick to try Beverly but sadly I didnt manage to get a picture of his reaction! It was priceless though! I, obviously, didn’t try any - yuck!

After this we headed down to the World Showcase. It all looked so beautiful thanks to the Flower and Garden Festival. When I was there back in May 2014 I loved all the topiaries too so I enjoyed seeing them all again. Not going to lie, I was much more excited about what we were about to do next…eat around the world haha. Another reason I am very excited about going back next October…Food & Wine Festival.

The first snack up was the Sugar Cane Shrimp skewer from La Isla Fresca which came on a bed of steamed rice and had a coconut lime sauce. It should have cost $6.50 but we used 1 SC. Wow this was good, we were literally fighting over it. You will see that later on in the holiday we actually went back for more it was that good!

Next stop was Jardin de Fiestas in Mexico where we got the Chile Relleno de Picadillo, which was a poblano pepper stuffed with ground beef and covered in a tomato sauce with cheese. This would have been $6 but again was 1 SC. This was nice enough but I probably wouldn’t have it again, the shrimp was much nicer!

We stopped in Norway for a couple of photos with the Anna and Elsa topiaries since we were wearing our Frozen themed couple t-shirts (from Once Upon A Mickey Tee). The queue for the ride was too long and neither of us were that bothered about doing it so we gave it a miss.

In Germany we stopped at Karamell-Kuche, which I was really excited about having been before. I LOVE Werthers Original so this is like a dream come true for me. I hadn’t told Nick about the delights of Karamell-Kuche so I was excited to see his face light up when we went inside and he saw the goodies on offer. We got one german chocolate chip cookie and one caramel smore for 2 SC. We definitely made the right choices, they were so good. My favourite was definitely the smore though. Just thinking about it now is making me so hungry.

By this point the sky was looking pretty gloomy and it was becoming very obvious that there was going to be a huge downpour at some point in the day. We decided to carry on for a bit as there were a still more snacks on our hitlist. On the way past Italy we stopped for a few photo pass pictures on the bridge. I have to say these are some of my least favourite photos from the holiday haha - my hair is just tragic! So this is for everyone that has commented about the fact my hair is always so nice - it isn't always, here is the proof!

In America we stopped at the Smokehouse and ordered the pork ribs with black bean and corn salad, the beef brisket burnt ends hash with white cheddar fondue and pickled jalapenos and a frozen lemonade. They would have been $6.75 each but we used 1 QS credit. The ribs were really nice although I didn’t like the weird corn salad. There was a lot of meat on them too which I didn’t expect. My favourite was definitely the burnt ends though - so good! I don’t like potato though so I wish that there had been more meat than potato.
Not going to lie though, although the slush was really good, it was TINY! I was expecting it to be much bigger like the other slushes you get for a SC. This wasn't even alcoholic and it was no more than 3 sips!
I did mean to get one of the American Dream slushes but completely forgot, plus it started to drizzle at this point so we walked on a bit faster.

Our final stop was in France where we used another QS credit and got the Tarte a l’Onion Alsacienne (onion tart), Poulet aux Ecrevisses (chicken and crawfish) and the Macaron Chocolat Framboise (large raspberry macaroon with chocolate fudge). All of these were really good, especially the chicken and crawfish. I definitely could have eaten another of these. I was especially surprised by the onion tart as this was really good too but I wasn’t expecting to like it much. The macaroon was good, although it was incredibly rich.

We decided at this point that we would head out of the park as it was still only just slightly drizzling at this point but we thought it was about to take a turn for the worse. We had some photopass pictures taken as we were leaving, although I didn’t really like these either - the humidity today was awful!

There was a bus at the stop and we jumped straight on and just in time as all of a sudden came a torrential downpour. We got back to the hotel and headed up to the room where we chilled out for a bit, caught up with some friends on social media and watched the rain outside.

This evening we had a reservation at the Flying Fish so we could either catch the bus to Disney Springs and then one to a boardwalk resort, or we could catch the bus to Epcot and walk. The Epcot bus was due first so we decided to do that, although I have to say I was praying it would stop raining in the mean time!
Thankfully by the time we got off the bus it had slowed back to a slight drizzle and stopped completely as we were walking through Epcot. The world showcase was really busy as it was a Saturday night so there was a lot of weaving around groups and already tipsy people.

We decided to walk to the boardwalk rather than catch the boat as one had just left. It only took a few minutes to get there and we checked into the Flying Fish at 6.30pm exactly.

It was such a shame it had been raining as I had been waiting to show Nick the boardwalk area but it didn’t look as beautiful in the rain (still beautiful though of course!)
The Flying Fish is a stunning restaurant and we were both really excited about our meal here.

We both ordered a diet coke and they brought out the bread service which was bread with nori (seaweed) and a sea-salted butter. This was one of my favourite breads of the holiday - I love salt so this butter was just perfect, I couldn’t stop eating it!

Our server, Danny, was absolutely brilliant, he was so knowledgeable about the menu and gave us some really great suggestions.
I ordered the octopus, sea bass and prawn dish and Nick ordered the Lobster Nero pasta. We ate half each and then swapped over as we both couldn’t decide which of the two dishes we each wanted to order.
Both of the dishes were absolutely exceptional and as I am typing this up we are talking about how amazing the meal was. Even now, we can’t choose which one we preferred as they were both so good.

For dessert I had the ‘under the sea’ and Nick has the pannacotta and again these were both brilliant and the presentation was absolutely stunning.

The meal would have cost us $150, but we paid with 4 TS credits. It was well worth this and I would definitely go again. Although I loved some meals at Disney, I wouldn’t have paid OOP for them, but I thought this was well worth the cost and would have happily paid that OOP.

After dinner we walked along to the Beach Club for a nosey around. This is my absolute dream resort, and one day I hope to stay here. I just think it is stunning, not to mention the proximity to two parks makes it even better!

Sorry, I have no more photos from here onwards, I think my phone batter may have died!

We decided to jump on the bus to Disney Springs as I wanted to get another pair of denim shorts. I had only brought 1 pair but I had been finding these more comfortable than dresses/material shorts in the heat so I wanted some more. We headed for uniqlo as I knew that I would be able to find some for a reasonable amount in here.
Uniqlo had some really cool Disney t-shirts and there were all really reasonably priced compared to some of the park merch. I managed to get some denim shorts and a really nice white linen top (which is definitely not my normal style) for $50.

We went for a slow wander through The Landing as we had not yet explored this area of Disney Springs. Nick wanted to explore the Coke shop so we headed here next. There was some great merchandise here and the pyjama bottoms looked really comfy but we didn’t buy anything. We went up to the bar on the top floor but as it was quite late by this point, we thought sugary drinks probably weren’t the best idea which was a shame as we did want to sample some of them. We sadly never made it back, so it’s something we will have to do on our next trip!

We wandered over to the bus station and the bus arrived a few minutes later at 10.30pm. As soon as we got back we fell asleep! Another more than 20,000 step day!
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

How awesome is your t-shirt!?

You will love Food & Wine, there is just a fab atmosphere in Epcot during it. Make sure you catch an Eat to the Beat concert too, even if the line-up doesn't jump out at you.

Enjoyed your Flying Fish review. My mum's auntie is joining us in Disney for a meal next year and I think we are going to go here as I want to show off the Crescent Lake area to her.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
How awesome is your t-shirt!?

You will love Food & Wine, there is just a fab atmosphere in Epcot during it. Make sure you catch an Eat to the Beat concert too, even if the line-up doesn't jump out at you.

Enjoyed your Flying Fish review. My mum's auntie is joining us in Disney for a meal next year and I think we are going to go here as I want to show off the Crescent Lake area to her.
Thanks, I loved those tshirts , still shocked I managed to get Nick to wear it. He loved all the attention he got from people commenting on them though haha!

Cannot wait to try food and wine festival! I have heard amazing things about a lot of the stalls so I am already making provisional lists based on this year! Will definitely try to get to an Eat to the Beat too!

You should definitely go to the Flying Fish, it was an absolutely brilliant meal, I actually think it was my favourite signature meal. I did love Narcoosees but the food was just so different at Flying Fish and the server was absolutely fab! The restaurant is beautiful too!
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

A lovely day despite the drizzle.

Love your tshirts!

We enjoyed the snacks from the smokehouse too. The American Dream is my favourite drink, you definitely need to try one next time!

Flying Fish is added to my next time list, it sounds delicious.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
A lovely day despite the drizzle.

Love your tshirts!

We enjoyed the snacks from the smokehouse too. The American Dream is my favourite drink, you definitely need to try one next time!

Flying Fish is added to my next time list, it sounds delicious.
Thanks, I love the tshirts too! Although nick won't humour me and wear them in the UK haha!
Yes American dream is on my list for next time! There were so many snacks I was just too full for this time! DDP is just too much hah!

You won't regret the flying fish it was such a good meal, I would highly recommend it. It felt so much more adult than other places we went and the bar attached to the side (abracadabar?) was great too!
Old 2 Aug 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Hope you had a good hol!

Love your photos and love karamel kuche!

Sept '18 - POFQ, March '18- AKL, DLP Feb '18- Cheyenne, Sept '16- POR, Feb '15- CBR
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Ohh, I want your bad hair days. I'd consider that looking great!

I think you've tipped me over to Flying Fish. I'd been wavering between that and Yachtsman for our lazy day Signature, since we're staying at YC. DH loves steak but I think the FF menu is so much more interesting.

Another great day. Can't believe you got Nick in that shirt! I've only JUST managed to convince DH to wear a Rescue Rangers shirt but I think that's as far as I'll be able to push him.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

I love Flying Fish, such a fantastic restaurant.

You'll love food and wine - make sure you check out the special events for the festival, and try and not visit on the weekend, it gets a little crazy!
lumosq102 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Fabulous day with some lovely looking food thank you for sharing 😁
Old 3 Aug 17, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Ohh, I want your bad hair days. I'd consider that looking great!

I think you've tipped me over to Flying Fish. I'd been wavering between that and Yachtsman for our lazy day Signature, since we're staying at YC. DH loves steak but I think the FF menu is so much more interesting.

Another great day. Can't believe you got Nick in that shirt! I've only JUST managed to convince DH to wear a Rescue Rangers shirt but I think that's as far as I'll be able to push him.
Oh god haha my hair looks terrible in those photos, especially the ones in Italy. My teeth also look a really strange colour !

Yes funnily enough we had the same decision to make when planning our ADRs - Yachtsman or Flying Fish. We both love steak but when looking at other menus we thought we might have already picked enough places where steak was an option so we went Flying Fish as it was so different and I am so glad we did, it was a wonderful meal!

Haha he wasn't convinced by the t-shirt at first so I started small with a 'Happily Ever After' badge, and he loved all the people asking us about them and saying congratulations and so he wanted to wear the t-shirt! Keep an eye out later in the reports as you may see another haha

Originally Posted by lumosq102 View Post
I love Flying Fish, such a fantastic restaurant.

You'll love food and wine - make sure you check out the special events for the festival, and try and not visit on the weekend, it gets a little crazy!
Yes, brilliant restaurant! Such a nice atmosphere too, quieter than some of the other places we went to!
Thanks for the tips on food and wine, can't wait to finally go in October! I have had major food envy reading other people's food and wine reports! (Just wish it was this year we were going!)

Originally Posted by Jaspercat10 View Post
Fabulous day with some lovely looking food thank you for sharing 😁
Thank you for reading! Looking back, this was probably one of my favourite days (despite the rain!) - I do love Epcot!