Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 2 Sep 17, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

The trip of many changes August 2017 - Day 3 Kennedy Space Center

Today was a Saturday and as we couldn't use our Disney tickets until check in tomorrow we had decided to visit Kennedy Space Center. The time difference was still affecting our sleep and we were all up and ready in time to get to breakfast for 7. I don't know how she does it but even at the age of 12 Hattie seems to manage to get food everywhere.

We left about 7.30 and after a smooth drive arrived about 8.45 for a 9.00 opening. The girls had their photo taken with an astronaut before we headed over to join the short queues at the turnstiles.

We wanted to do the bus tour early today as we had queued for a while on our last visit but they weren't running quite yet. We went off to Journey to Mars. We had a look around and then listened to a presentation. The talk was very interesting and the presenter took some time afterwards talking to our girls about how they are all in the right age bracket to be on the first mission to mars. To be honest I don't think any of them were very keen on the idea!

Next up was the bus tour and after a short wait we were on the bus about 10. I have to confess here that I may have fallen asleep on the journey - I think all the early morning wake ups were getting to me. I wasn't the only one though! A few photos from the journey.

We got off the bus and were soon allowed into the saturn V building. We all enjoyed the various presentations about the apollo missions - Evie was particularly interested this time as space is going to be her first topic when she goes back to school in September. Ollie went off to join a guided tour of the building to get a bit more information. The girls didn't want to so we had a look around ourselves - they couldn't resist trying to jump high enough to touch the engines.

By the time Ollie had finished with the tour we were all getting hungry so even though it was only 11.30 we decided to get lunch before heading back on the bus. We had 3 adult meals and two child meals with drinks for $65. Unfortunately all the inside seats had been taken so we ended up sitting outside. The food was surprisingly good but the experience overall was a bit hot and sticky.

After lunch we looked around the last few bits we hadn't seen and then headed back on the bus. Again it was just a short queue for the bus and we were soon on our way.

Next up was the Journey to Atlantis.

The younger two girls particularly enjoyed the more hands on aspect of this building. At this point Robyn decided that she was too old to do all these things and got in a strop about waiting for her sisters - if she didn't want to do them nobody else should either

Sensing that maybe Robyn needed a snack or drink(often the case when she gets grumpy!) we decided to find some ice creams and drinks. Feeling suitably refreshed but slightly warm from sitting out in the sun we headed inside to watch the next show in the IMax theatre. I do remember parts of it but I think the dark may have just got to me!

We were all starting to flag a bit now but Ollie really wanted to have a look around the rocket garden. The girls had remembered the small play area from our last visit and Evie was desperate to go and play so I sat with them whilst Ollie went to the rocket garden. Even Evie is really too big for the play area but I let them play as long as they were extra careful of smaller children. We took this picture on the way.

Not long after we arrived there was an announcement about lightning in the area and making sure you were under cover. I didn't think too much of it thinking Ollie must have heard and would make his way back to us soon. It turned out when he got back (a good half an hour later) that he hadn't heard and asked why I left him out in danger!

By now it was about 4.30 and the sky was looking very black so we decided it was time to leave grabbing one last photo on the way out.

The plan was to get back to the room and freshen up a bit before heading out for a nice meal. This wasn't to be. An accident on the I4 meant we were delayed by about 90 minutes getting back so we grabbed a quick McDonalds and let the girls have a brief dip in the pool before getting an early night ready for the transfer to Disney in the morning.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Evie will feel such a knowitall when she gets back to school haha!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Great pictures!

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Looks like a great day at KSC, we've still yet to visit. Maybe this year 🤔
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
Looks like a great day at KSC, we've still yet to visit. Maybe this year 🤔
We've been on both our visits and found it really interesting on both trips. DH would really like to see a launch one time.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DJRINGLE
Getting to know the DIBB

Great stuff :-) thanks very informative.
We are planning to go to KSC on the Saturday for our trip this August
DJRINGLE is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DJRINGLE View Post
Great stuff :-) thanks very informative.
We are planning to go to KSC on the Saturday for our trip this August
We've visited twice and had a great time on each visit. I would say it is definitely worth getting on the bus tour to the Saturn V building earlier in the day. On our last trip we did it after lunch - it was much busier and we had to queue for a while to get on a bus to get there and to get back again.
Old 27 Feb 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
merlinsmum
Having Dinner with Goofy

Thank you, really enjoyed reading and picking up tips for our first visit to KSC. Also love the action shots of the girls jumping up!
merlinsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 18, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by merlinsmum View Post
Thank you, really enjoyed reading and picking up tips for our first visit to KSC. Also love the action shots of the girls jumping up!
Thanks, I love those shots too. They always put a smile on my face.