Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 22 Sep 17, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
CA - Possibly, Maybe, Now Definitely! Day 14 - Alcatraz and the Fly Season!

Day 14: Wednesday 13th September 2017

Trip Index here

An early alarm at 07:30 this morning to allow us to get over to Pier 33 to pick up our Alcatraz Tour tickets, departing on the 10:00 boat.

Neither Jo or myself were feeling 100% this morning, probably down to the large quantity of food we had eaten later than usual last night and hence having a disturbed night's sleep - serves us right!

I made a quick journey round to Walgreens to pick up some more water, and also a bagel with cheese and apple turnover for myself and Joanne for breakfast.

A little later than planned, we were packed and off out, heading for Market Street and 4th to catch the streetcar (aka tram) up to pier 33. In passing, the two tram lines E & F that serve Fishermans Wharf and the Piers operate vintage trams/streetcars from a number of operators. Unfortunately, there must have been a problem further down the line as a tram failed to turn up and the next was was considerably later than schedules, and given that the trams share Market Street with buses and cars, it was a slow journey until we reached the Embarcedero and the reserved tram tracks.

We arrived at the pier at 09:35, and exchanged the voucher for our tickets, and were then in the queue (after the obligatory photo! ) for our 10:00 departure. At this point, it became very apparent that there were flies - not just a few but thousands of them all over the place. The fly theme continued on the boat for the 20 minute crossing to Alcatraz, and then as we disembarked and made our way to an orientation briefing where the reason became apparent - it was fly breeding season!

We made the climb up the steep hill to pick up the self-guided tour kit, and have to say that this was probably one of the best self-guided tours we have experienced, especially as they used former guards and inmates as narrators.The tour lasted well over an hour, then we took the chance to look around he rest of the island including the gardens that the better behaved inmates worked on.

However, with Jo still feeling ill, we took the chance of catching a boat just about to depart, so we braved the flies again on the journey back across to Pier 33, where we picked up the streetcar/tram back to Market St and 4th. At that time, I had planned to continue on to the terminus at Castro, but after a few stops a few people who got on the tram started harassing passengers for money. At that point, I bailed out at the next stop to catch another tram back to Market and 4th for our hotel.

Alex & Jo hand had called at Walgreens to pick up some lunch, whilst I had finished off the wraps from our Indian meal last night. Whilst the two ladies had an afternoon siesta, I caught up with e-mails, captured some more trip reports, and managed to find the ironing board! After several hours, the ladies declared themselves feeling better, so we just laze about enjoying the view across the bay...until the fog rolled in again!

Fast forwarding to early evening, Alex had put in a request to eat at an Cioppinos, an Italian restaurant, up at Fishermans Wharf, so we headed for the cable car to enjoy another trip but this time on the Powell-Hyde line which stopped a few blocks short of the Wharf. No problem as we definitely needed some exercise!

Although we had made a reservation for 20:00 through Open Table, the short queue for the cable car meant we arrived around 30 mins early but we were seated straight away. Once again, we stuck to one course although some very good sourdough bread arrived. I ordered the four cheese tortellini, Alex the Bolognese, and Jo the tomato and lobster chowder in a Boudin bread bowel.

Following a short stroll along the waterfront, we used the tram to get back to Market St/4th. However, future users be aware that the actual operations seem to bear no resemblance to the printed timetable - although a tram was advertised every 9 minutes along the full route, two trams in succession only went as far as the Ferry Building, leaving us with a 25 minute wait!

On the tram, we met lady from NZ who it transpired was staying a block further up O'Farrell street, so she accompanied us to the Hilton before we turned in for the night.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I am glad you managed to enjoy the day despite the sickness floating around!

The flies don't sound very nice - they are one of my most hated insects!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Shame about feeling ill and flies, yuk!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Alcatraz is a must see place on a West coast trip I think. Interesting but quite eerie too I imagine?
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
TBH it didn't seem that eerie during the day, but I suspect it may be more "atmospheric" on the night tour.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
TBH it didn't seem that eerie during the day, but I suspect it may be more "atmospheric" on the night tour.
I quite fancy the night tour. Hope it won't be too 'atmospheric' for our DD (who will be 13 by then)
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
oh no shame about feeling ill x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List