Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
CA - Possibly, Maybe, Now Definitely! Day 15 - The "S" Word and Lombard Street

Day 15: Thursday 14th September 2017

Trip Index here

Well, 14 days have flown by - our last full day in California.

This morning, the dreaded "S" word (Shopping) had been mentioned last night. As we all had another lie-in, yours truly was despatched to the Walmart on Powell Street for the breakfast order - two bagels (one with cream cheese) and a Danish Pastry, and at just over $5 the same price as one item at the Hilton.

After breakfast, Jo and Alex disappeared off to the Westfield Center, whilst I was let loose on my own to, well, do whatever I wanted to do! A brisk 20 minute walk brought me to the Embarcadero, where there is a small museum dedicated to the tram/railways, and an informative 40 minutes or so was spent with a couple of very knowledgeable volunteers. The museum act as a "friend" for the SFMUNI operation of the vintage trams, and we had a chat about my local systems in Blackpool and Manchester.

As I left, I as wondering if the prevalence of legal weed users had affected my brain, as I saw a Blackpool open-top tram waiting at the stop outside. One of the volunteers confirmed I was not hallucinating - the tram is owned by the group and was being used on a charter. The photo below proves this, although the blue sky may not be representative of the weather the North West of England had been enjoying the last few days!

Hallucinations over, I then had a wander along the waterfront and the various piers that are used for both commuter and charter vessels, with the buildings being used for cafes, bars and several other food-related businesses.

Three hours later, I made my way back to the Hilton, where the ladies had apparently had a productive trip, albeit somewhat restrained as we only had three large cases that were already full! And of course, all this shopping needed time to recover either in bed (teenager) or on the balcony (Jo)!

We had all wanted to visit the famous Lombard Street, so 18:00 saw us wandering back to Powell Street to catch our final Cable Car along the Powell/Hyde line, that drops you right at the top of the "wiggly" bit of Lombard Street. With only a 10 minute wait for a suitable tram, we were up at the top of Lombard Street by around 18:40.

Having only seen this part of Lombard Street on TV and films, for some reason I was expecting it to be quite a trek, but it's only one block, albeit steep! However, we took the obligatory photos from along the sidewalk, with the best views from the bottom.

We then made our way the few blocks along Leavenworth Street to Fishermans Wharf again, where tonight we ended up at a Pompeis Grotto, a mainly fish restaurant, where Jo had the Sea Bass, Alex a pasta/seafood comnbination, and the non-fish lover a Chicken Club sandwich.

It was then another stroll to try and digest dinner before wandering down for a tram... and a similar problem to last night where the first tram was turning short at the Ferry Terminal, but this time the following tram was doing the full route and left a few minutes later for our final ride.
2021 now 2022 Long Haul to Aus & NZ - Thanks Amex & Avios!, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 Itís Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough! 2015 East AND West is Best Take 2: Canada...
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

How funny to see a Blackpool tram so far way from home! You seem to have had some nice weather!

I vaguely remember visiting Lombard Street - it was over 25 years ago

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Great sounding day. I love all the old trams that run along the front but we never saw the open one.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
How funny to see a Blackpool tram so far way from home! You seem to have had some nice weather!

I vaguely remember visiting Lombard Street - it was over 25 years ago
We were lucky that the temperatures had returned to somewhat near-normal - it had also been hitting the mid-late 30's over the previous week. It was a more manageable mid-20s when we arrived!

Originally Posted by Disney Wishing View Post
Great sounding day. I love all the old trams that run along the front but we never saw the open one.
I think they had had a vintage tram weekend just before we arrived, so giving the Blackpool one a further run out.
2021 now 2022 Long Haul to Aus & NZ - Thanks Amex & Avios!, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 Itís Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough! 2015 East AND West is Best Take 2: Canada...
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds like a good day, the last that one always seems to come round quickly!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
a great day x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List