Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 25 Sep 17, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We don't have enough credits! 16 nights Universal and Disney (DDP) September 2017 - Day 15

The plan today had been EMH at AK to make the most of our last couple of days. Unfortunately we (I mean Marie) took to long to get ready and we didn't get to the park until just before 9. We'd had a quick coffee in the room and I had a couple of the mini crullers with a plan to have an Elephant Ear pastry after riding the safari. I'd seen them in dining reports but never actually had one.
We got in the queue at Kusafiri Bakery (all the same family).

Got to the end and were told no Elephant Ear Pastries . I was bit grumpy about this and neither of us fancied anything else on the menu so we went to look for something else. We were getting hungry and everywhere else in the area was either closed or sold nuts/popcorn/churros, that type of thing. By now I was getting hangry so suggested a bit flippantly that maybe we should see if we could get a table at Tusker House. Marie said why not so I checked the app and saw a couple of times available after 10am. I chose 10.40am so we'd have plenty of time to ride FoP first.
There was a bit of a wait for our table after checking in to the extent I was worried we'd end up with lunch instead! It was only about 10 mins but felt longer. Our server pointed out that we'd get lunch too if we wanted and the breakfast items would most likely be moved at 11am to make room for lunch.

Rubbish buffet photos again.

I think because we were hungry we kind of wolfed it down getting full quickly. When lunch came out we weren't really in the mood. It looked nice though.
This time we managed to get 3 characters before we decided to go so a bit better than last time. We paid OOP and it cost around $80 which included the tip. We did consider that we might have been better using credits and paying OOP for one meal at the Yachtsman that night but by the time we did it was too late.

Because we had a late breakfast we didn't have lunch so our next meal was The Yachtsman for dinner. We've been here a couple of times now and really like it.

(pomegranate lemonade!)

We were brought a basket of the warm onion rolls which are absolutely delicious! They bring you both butter and roasted garlic. I usually have a little of the garlic but find it a bit too strong to have a lot.

Again we were able to sub dessert for either a small salad or lobster bisque so went for the bisque again.

This had a slightly different flavour to the one from Narcoosee's which I think I preferred but was still lovely.

We both ordered the 6oz filet which came with mashed potatoes. No veg which we could have ordered as a paid for side but I thought it was odd that there was literally nothing. I'd had the porterhouse for 2 with Dad last year which comes with sides so hadn't remembered this about the Yachtsman.

This was lovely. The mashed potato (although it didn't say on the menu) had a really nice cheesy flavour which wasn't over powering.

We also ordered a side of truffle macaroni and cheese.

Marie really likes this and I had the first time we had it but today found the truffle flavouring too strong. I also had heartburn all night which I think was as a result of the mac & cheese.

This would have cost again around $150 but cost us 4 TS credits and the $12 or so for the mac & cheese plus a tip.

We didn't bother with dessert as we were too full and had decided to walk across to the Boardwalk to the bakery to get a dessert for later.

I had a strawberry and cream cheesecake and Marie a chocolate éclair. This cost us 2 snacks.
My cupcake was lovely, loads of frosting with a nice light sponge. Unfortunately I couldn't do it justice and didn't eat it all.
Marie said the éclair was nice enough but not a lot of chocolate.

Total credit use today was 4 TS and 2 snacks.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Your steaks look lovely, if a little lonely! Bit of veg would have been nice .
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
asapaj
Trainee Dibber

I'm really enjoying your reviews
asapaj is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
Your steaks look lovely, if a little lonely! Bit of veg would have been nice .
Yes, I think it's a ploy to get more money!
Originally Posted by asapaj View Post
I'm really enjoying your reviews
Thanks!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Great report, thanks for sharing
Old 25 Sep 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
We don't have enough credits! 16 nights Universal and Disney (DDP) September 2017 - Day 16

So today was our last day . In view of that I'd booked us Be Our Guest for breakfast for 8am to get maximum park time as we needed to leave about lunchtime. We left POR at 7.10am and got to BOG exactly at 8am to check in. There was an enormous queue for the resort monorail to get from the T&TC. We had pre-ordered again so were grabbing a table quickly. We sat in the ballroom again as it was the first table we seen.
We switched our orders around this time and I got the Croque Madam.

Marie got the ham and egg open faced sandwich.

And our tray of pastries.

We enjoyed this again although I think I preferred the open faced sandwich to the croque madam. This cost us 2 QS credits.

Mid-morning we finally got our Dole Whip! The queue for Aloha Isle wasn't bad but the tables nearby were busy so we wandered through to the area that's covered between the shops in Adventureland. By then the ice cream was starting to melt.

Marie got the pineapple/pineapple float.

I got the pineapple & vanilla swirl/pineapple float.

These were lovely and refreshing as usual and I blame Irma for me only getting one!

This cost 2 snacks.

Lunchtime we decided to pop to Casey's Corner prior to leaving the park. We had 1 QS credit left and a few snacks and while in the queue we noticed you could get chilli cheese fries as a snack. We therefore used the QS for a corn dog nuggets meal and used a snack for chilli cheese fries to share. We shared the drink using our collapsible mugs.

Marie ate most of the chilli fries and I ate the regular ones. As you can see there were loads and this would feed 3 people no bother.

We popped in to the sweet shop in Main St and used up our last few credits on stuff to take home. We only had 5.

Our next meal was at the airport. We normally go to Outback and get something decent but didn't feel too hungry so went to Burger King. In hindsight not a great idea and we could have always got something small from Outback. Instead we stood in that stupid Q in BK where they have a hot plate with food that they prepare randomly so you either take what's there or have to wait an age on what you actually want. Marie and I wanted different things and while mine was sitting ready hers wasn't. I didn't want to take the Bacon Double Cheeseburger as it would get cold on my tray and so in the meantime a guy came along and took the last one. Immediately the chicken burger Marie wanted appeared! I ended up with a cheeseburger. Then there were no fries ready so we had to go back up.

This was just ok and we won't be going there again.

That's where the pictures end. I'd turned my phone off on the flight and frankly couldn't be bothered taking photos! I'm always so down on the flight home .
The food wasn't bad actually. Normally on the way home it's awful. I haven't made notes though and can't remember what I had. The breakfast was just ok but was served with a disgusting natural yoghurt.

Trip Report Index
Old 25 Sep 17, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
So that's it's done. Just a few final thoughts.

Paying for food is no fun! And we paid for a lot of food! Obviously it couldn't be avoided at Universal but it really makes me appreciate dining plan!

We go every year with the intention of maximising our credits and paying for as little food as possible. Every year we fail because it takes a lot of planning and effort and sometimes trying to be in the right place at the right time. For example, the last AK day we planned on mainly using left over snack credits for meals. Circumstances meant we decided to pay for a TS breakfast meaning we weren't hungry enough for the snacks we planned. Having a hurricane close the parks for 2 days didn't help either.
Sharing meals is a great way to maximise credits but again, not something we're good at. When there's only two of you and you don't want to eat the same thing it's not really practical.
It wasn't all failure though! Food & Wine was a great use of snack credits and for the first time ever we actually managed to spend some time eating round the world!
We also used snacks for drinks so we wouldn't have a load left and only had 5 in the end.

QS meals highlights for me were the breakfasts and lunch at Be Our Guest which I think is great value on the dining plan, not so much OOP. Pecos Bill was also great again. I still have a list a mile long though that we still haven't managed. Maybe we need to do QSDP one year!

TS meals were all nice, none were bad. Some were not as good as we'd hoped and some maybe just didn't wow us. Yak & Yeti was definitely a highlight. There are also old favourites that remain so and ones we probably won't try again. I'd like to try Artists Point at WL, especially if we end up staying there next trip. I'd go back to HBD but Marie wouldn't and with it being a signature it'll be replaced next trip. I'd also go back to Homecomin' but will be interested to see what else is at DS when we go back.

So that's it. Home now and planning for 2019. Probably only staying at Disney (and maybe not even doing Universal) so the next report will be mainly DDP.

Thanks for reading everyone. Hope it helps with the planning!

Trip Report Index
Old 25 Sep 17, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimedream
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Brill food report thankyou for sharing🍔🌭🥃enjoy panning ur next trip😉
firsttimedream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by firsttimedream View Post
Brill food report thankyou for sharing🍔🌭🥃enjoy panning ur next trip😉
Thank you!

Trip Report Index
Old 25 Sep 17, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Great report, thanks again for theis
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List