Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The hills are alive - Salzburg October 2017 Day 5

Sunday 29th October 2017 Travel Home Day

Unfortunately I did not take very many photos today, as we had a somewhat rushed start to the morning!

Now this was the weekend that the clocks went back we knew this and we had planned for it I had checked on the internet and yes clocks also go back in Austria, the only difference being that rather than going back at 2am, they get put back an hour at 3am...so we had set our alarms the previous night without any worries, fully prepared . I reasoned that the worst that could happen is we set our alarms on our phones for 7am, but the clocks go back and actually they wake us 6am, right?

Or, so it would seem, not at all right!

I have no clue how we got this messed up. But in the end on the Sunday morning I got up and had a shower, stupidly I didn't check the time on my phone, I just thought I had loads of time as the alarm hadn't gone off yet. When I got out of the shower DH was in a mild panic trying to figure out the time, smart phones are really not that smart, or perhaps it was user error . We turned on the TV and yes, it was actually gone 7.45am, which meant that we had somehow overslept! The alarms had not gone off or had re-set or something...

We didn't have a nice leisurely getting ready and packing up. Instead we shouted at the kids to get up, get dressed and throw everything into a bag and by 8.10am we were in the lobby and checking out of the hotel. We were hoping to catch the 8.25am bus to the airport. We raced to the station and just as we arrived so too did the bus arrive. Phew, we had made it. Ok, it was a bit of a hectic end to the holiday, but we felt relieved to be on the bus and on the way to the airport.

On the way, DH pointed out that it looked very windy outside, but I didn't even consider that this may have repercussions ! I was just happy to be on the bus...

We printed out our boarding passes and then had a cappuccino and the kids had an oreo milkshake. Our breakfast consisted of some mini croissants and a tube of biscuits.

We went through security about an hour before the departure and I remarked to DH that it was very busy this side of the airport, we struggled to find anywhere to sit. Then there was an announcement that the Ryanair flight to Stanstead had been canceled as the incoming flight had not been able to land due to high winds and had been diverted. Then there was an announcement that the Air Berlin flight had tried to land and aborted the landing at the last moment. When we got home we saw the footage on the BBC of the plane trying to land and it did look hairy. Our BA plane had managed to land so we were fine to leave .

We boarded and as we were getting ready for take off the air stewards were saying to us that it would be a bit of turbulence during take off and that it was likely to be very bumpy, but not to worry! DH and myself were trying to convince eachother that take off is easier than landing, or that perhaps our plane was bigger than the others that had failed in their attempts, or that maybe our pilots were better than the others...anything to convince ourselves that we had nothing to worry about. Obviously, we were fine, yes it was very bumpy for the first few minutes, but once we were up in the air actually it was no different and of course we did all make it back.

And that is the end of our trip to Salzburg. We enjoyed the sight seeing. The city is beautiful with the Baroque architecture and the museums are all very interesting. The Sound of Music filming locations were great to visit and although we were disappointed to not make it up the mountain all in all we had a great trip.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Whoops about the alarm! At least you made it to the airport and got your flight home!

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us 🙂

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Whoops about the alarm! At least you made it to the airport and got your flight home!

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us 🙂
Yes we made it in the end. I enjoyed writing it up so thank you for reading along.

Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

My god I would be having kittens if I had overslept 😳 This is coming from the woman who likes to gets to the airport 4 hours before an international or European flight 😂
I'm glad you made it back in one piece though!
Thank you so much for posting, it's certainly given me some food for thought for our April weekend away. I've mentioned the James Bond museum to Jim and that has certainly peaked his interest!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 18, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
My god I would be having kittens if I had overslept 😳 This is coming from the woman who likes to gets to the airport 4 hours before an international or European flight 😂
I'm glad you made it back in one piece though!
Thank you so much for posting, it's certainly given me some food for thought for our April weekend away. I've mentioned the James Bond museum to Jim and that has certainly peaked his interest!
It has been lovely having you read along the last few days so thanks so much for taking the time to comment. It has allowed me to reminisce about the holiday, which is kind of why I write the reports in the first place! I think my DH would like to visit all the places Bond has been to...I'm glad this tip has helped you out. Have fun planning your weekend getaway.

Old 4 May 18, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

What a nightmare start to the day, I wonder if it was being in a different country that confused your phones!? On year our travel day to Florida was the day the clocks went back to we got an extra hour in bed, then again the next week when they went back in the States, it was fab!

I'm still miffed for you about the mountain, it feels like your trip wasn't complete, I know you can always go back again but it's not the same as everything going as you'd planned.

Thank you for sharing, some gorgeous locations.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 18, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
What a nightmare start to the day, I wonder if it was being in a different country that confused your phones!? On year our travel day to Florida was the day the clocks went back to we got an extra hour in bed, then again the next week when they went back in the States, it was fab!

I'm still miffed for you about the mountain, it feels like your trip wasn't complete, I know you can always go back again but it's not the same as everything going as you'd planned.

Thank you for sharing, some gorgeous locations.
I still don't really understand how we managed to mess up the clocks changing! I suppose out mobile phones are cleverer than we are .

That worked out well for you in the US 2 bonus nights with an extra hour of sleep!

I don't suppose we will ever go back, not anytime soon anyway. There's too many other places to visit, and I have to fit them in between hols to WDW, so the mountain will remain unconquered. But it's still nice to think that one day we might!

Thanks for reading Colette