Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 29 Nov 17, 02:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I know people on here seem to feel obliged to drive a tank but three can easily fit in an intermediate or compact car. Not only are they better on gas but if you are used to driving a small car, can be easier to maneuver.

We did an eleven night trip from LA to north of San Francisco in a compact-with three kids, two adults and luggage for the entire stay. While is was packed (mostly because I was the human shield between two of the kids in the back seat), it was not crazy uncomfortable. In fact the trip in which we were most uncomfortable was in a full sized SUV. Both were many years ago when car interiors were smaller.

I always book the smallest car for the number of people we have and honestly, we often get an upgrade at no cost.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 04:26 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I know people on here seem to feel obliged to drive a tank but three can easily fit in an intermediate or compact car. Not only are they better on gas but if you are used to driving a small car, can be easier to maneuver.

We did an eleven night trip from LA to north of San Francisco in a compact-with three kids, two adults and luggage for the entire stay. While is was packed (mostly because I was the human shield between two of the kids in the back seat), it was not crazy uncomfortable. In fact the trip in which we were most uncomfortable was in a full sized SUV. Both were many years ago when car interiors were smaller.

I always book the smallest car for the number of people we have and honestly, we often get an upgrade at no cost.
Here’s my preference.
What would you rather be in on the I4 or similar, surrounded by semi trucks, and heavy traffic? A compact car where you are squeezed in like sardines in a tin, or a reasonably sized SUV, where you and your family have more room, the vehicle sits higher, you have better vision and the car has more presence on the crowded road? For us it’s a matter of safety.
After taking a compact on our first trip many years ago, and sitting on the I4 at 60mph looking out the side windows at eight huge truck tyres level with the window about a metre away from us, I vowed never to hire a small car for trips like this.

Each to their own of course. I’m just showing my logic when hiring for a family trip. In the end there’s no right or wrong, just go with what you are comfortable with.

Edited at 11:13 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by carol613 View Post
Hi Tom
Can you also help us with a price , flying into Orlando 9 august 2018 for 14 days
car needed for three adults . 11 year old and a 2 year old {car seat } not sure to hire one or take one over ,
one driver
looking forward to your reply
Thanks
Hi. These are a few prices that are with Alamo as I much prefer them. Now there will be cheaper options but predominantly they will be with Dollar or Thrifty. Neither of these will I touch
Also it's always worth considering Hertz and Avis, good companies.

I have done 9th Aug pick up to 23rd Aug drop off. To save retyping the car types they are in the same order as Brits

Brits
Int £494
Fullsize £524
Int Suv £686
Standard SUV £765

Virgin
£399
£445
£412
£445

Netflights
£517
£548
£717
£800

Andy @ Discountfloridacarhire
£517
£548
£717
£800

OK. The problem you have is you are spanning the 16th Aug. This is the date when those whose holiday is each side of this date are better off doing 2 x bookings and swapping the car out. Before the 16th prices are high and continue to be high for the entire rental. But do a split booking for example 9th to the 16th and then 16th to the 23rd and it comes in cheaper with some 3rd party suppliers. So you could call into the Disney car care centre for 20 mins, drop the car off and drive out in another one and save money. If you ask they will let you keep the same car!

Now for an Int SUV Virgin have a great price. But if you look a bit wider Andy for example has that type with Budget for £395 - Wow, good saving. But it's Budget.
He also has an Int car with Budget for £298 - awesome price

I know what I would be doing. I would be on to that Virgin Atlantic website like a long dog and getting it booked now. Those prices wont hold for long. Or, do a live chat with Andy when he is online. He has some really keen prices with Budget.

Child seat. Take your own, saves money and you know how it works.
Best of luck. Oh and remember these are just a few of the suppliers there are tons more.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:05 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'd also suggest you join BA exec club if you have not done so yet. Log-in link your booking if not linked then in the booking look at adding car hire. It is normally less than BA's normal rate because of your flight and you may find this gives the cheapest option. As an exec club member you would also get a 2nd driver free plus spouse as they are automatically covered. All necessary insurances included.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Don't underestimate the comments about different companies and lowest price may prove costly in the long run.

I would only use Alamo or Avis.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Torquay! You lucky so and so we had a day down pit if we were lucky
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post

For me it’s about driving something I wouldn’t normally be able to drive
Old 29 Nov 17, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
carol613
Earning More Ears

Thanks Tom ,going to look at virgin right now
carol613 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List