Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Dec 17, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ianc View Post
I believe that is NOT correct. In GE you are 'eligible,' not 'automatic', and is dependent on you using participating airports and airlines. The FAQ on this official site
tsa.gov/precheck/faq
state that it is limited to the airlines that are registered. If in GE, you have to supply your 'Known Traveler Number' when booking and you specifically need 'TSAPre' printed on your boarding card or in the barcode to use the TSAPre lane. You can't do that if the airline is not set up for it.
VA are participating.
Now I realise why I didn't have pre-check on my internal flight with AA - I booked through work and didn't have my GOES set up with them as I do with VA. Doh!
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 17, 01:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
We aren't members of Global Entry but were TSA Pre✓ selected in May for our MCO to Man flight. Whilst TSA Pre✓ is part of GE membership, none GE members can't apply for TSA Pre✓ in it's own right, it's a TSA discretion privilege for frequent/trusted flyers.
Non-GE members can apply for TSA Pre separately, but eligibility is currently limited to US Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents.

I believe that is NOT correct. In GE you are 'eligible,' not 'automatic', and is dependent on you using participating airports and airlines. The FAQ on this official site
tsa.gov/precheck/faq
state that it is limited to the airlines that are registered. If in GE, you have to supply your 'Known Traveler Number' when booking and you specifically need 'TSAPre' printed on your boarding card or in the barcode to use the TSAPre lane. You can't do that if the airline is not set up for it.
VA are participating.
Correct, the airline and airport have to participate, even if you are a member of GE or similar programmes. You don't have to enter your KTN at time of booking, it can be added at any time before check-in. It's sometimes a pain to get the number to stick, especially on code shares (at least on AA).

Edited at 01:37 AM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 17, 03:20 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Non-GE members can apply for TSA Pre separately, but eligibility is currently limited to US Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents.
Yes, I'm aware of the 5 year, $85 chargable service you mention Peko, I didn't want to confuse by mentioning a currently ineligible service for Brits.

Given the chance likely many Brits/non eligible would shell out $85 for TSA Pre.
Old 3 Dec 17, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I mentioned it being a low fee because any US citizen that flies more than once a year, probably has purchased it. It means that the precheck lines can be as long or in some cases, longer, than the regular lines. I arrived at Logan once to find pre check line out the door and perhaps 5-6 people in the regular line-no time saving but I porefer to keep my shoes on.

Also because some airlines out it on boarding cards some travelers don't know what the benefits are and they waste time taking belts and shoes off, laptops out. I have seen the log really clog up. Once DD chose to go through the regular line, I went through pre check. She beat me by a few minutes.

I would not cut my pre flight time thinking "I have pre check, I'll be through security in 5 minutes."
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 17, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Dublingirl
Helping Mickey

tsa.gov/precheck/faq
VA are participating.
My mistake. It does not clarify that on the GE website. We only ever fly with Virgin so always get TSA pre.
Dublingirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MacUK
VIP Dibber

MacUK's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
My wife had it on the way back (via Virgin)in November, she was through in 2 minutes, me, stuck in that 40 minute queue!
MacUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

TSA pre check worked!
We did Disney Springs check in and lo and behold we were TSA pre checked.
On arrival at security we were steered into a separate channel and through in less than 10 minutes, we saved about 30 minutes 😁😁
I hope this continues for future flights. 😎
Greyfriars is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
They issue it randomly on participating flights. There's probably some clever algorithm behind it but often very frequent fliers with no issues won't get cleared where someone on their second or third trip will.

I'm sticking with randomly assigned though, especially since they hand it out on outbound where it doesn't even apply anyway.
More to do with speed and extra money.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List