Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Dec 17, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Lulu-Belle
Excited about Disney

Premium economy Virgin or Norweigan?

Just wondering if anyone has traveled on both and can pick a favorite. The prices are quite high at the moment so i am hoping they come down.

Norwegian has had good reviews but my concern is if there is a problem with the aircraft on the day will they have another they can put us onto?

With virgin i can't seem to see seat plans for the bubble so wondering if they are only from certain airports. We will be going from London.

Thanks
Cabana Bay - 2019
Lulu-Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 17, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I haven't flown on Norwegian yet as I'm still running down my miles with VS. But FWIW, Norwegian has a much larger fleet of planes than Virgin do - about 150 planes compared to 40, I believe most of these are their shorthaul planes though. They do run fewer trans-Atlantic services though as they're still new to that market.

I am a fan of the VS PE product though, the seat width in particular which is still unmatched on these routes. Makes such a big difference to comfort on a long haul! The LGW planes have bubble seating, you want the 747 seat map which is always used on the LGW>MCO route unless there's a last minute aircraft change and no other 747s are available.

Edited at 12:06 AM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 17, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

This is a really positive review of Norwegian PE: thepointsguy/2016/01/nor...w-york-review/
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

We've flown with both and we sat at the front of the bubble with Virgin and economy with Norwegian. If you are on the dreamliner with Norwegian you can book the exit rows for free (if you choose the tickets that allow you to choose the seats as well). We sat in row 9 which is by the exit door, has all of the legroom and we were first off of the plane!

The bubble was nice but having flown both I'd go with whoever is cheaper, which generally seems to be Norwegian as Virgin always come out really expensive when I look!

On another note, we got delayed with Aer Lingus last December going via Dublin and they didn't have any direct flights the next day to Orlando. They got us on another flight over to the US and then down to Orlando, so the carriers will get you there eventually!
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 17, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I have looked at Norweigens premiumclass and I find the prices very close to BAs Club World and AA business indirect.
BA and American business class us far superior to Norweigen s premium, including flat beds, better and more choice of lounges, plus daily flights

Just one other thing, make sure you have end user failure insurance.
This article yesterday (and quite a few other reports) was questioning norweigens long term future. Sounds a bit lije flyglobespan...

bloomberg/gadfly/art...g-and-a-prayer
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,

Edited at 12:31 PM.
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 17, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

If your worry is just in terms of having spare planes, then you may well have the same issue with Virgin, although a bigger airline, their fleet is almost at capacity usage. I'd go with the cheapest - in all honesty the amount of times a plane goes out of service is to few to get worried about, and if it's a maintenance issue it's likely all planes are susceptible to the same issue so having more may not necessarily be a good thing
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 17, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This email from Virgin may not be applicable to Florida routes which correspond with parallel Norwegian flights but could affect other journeys - something to bear in mind when planning especially if you are wanting to travel on 787. At the moment it is a little vague but worth keeping an eye on.

"We need to let you know of changes to our flying programme which are the result of an industry-wide shortage of the Rolls Royce engines we use on our Boeing 787 Dreamliners. We’ve had to temporarily park some aircraft of this type but we’ve been working hard to ensure we still honour our passengers’ travel plans.

We’re continuing to work with Rolls Royce to source replacement engines as soon as possible, but in the interim we’ll be proactively introducing other plans to make sure our customers can travel with certainty and in comfort. As part of this plan, we aim to lease additional aircraft into our fleet. These will be Virgin Atlantic aircraft, operated by our pilots and managed by our world class cabin crew. This will ensure our customers continue to receive the service and experience they know and love us for.

This has led to some changes in our available inventory and as a result, on a small number of services it will not be possible to book Premium Economy seats.

We’re currently working on exactly what our flying programme will look like so we can’t give specific route and date details at this point, but you may currently find less Premium Economy availability on some of our flights. As soon as we have final clarity over the dates and routes we will share this information with you."
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Hi, further to stanleycamel's post, there was very good article on HeadforPoints over the weekend re Virgin & their PE service; they advise that those with PE bookings keep a closer eye on them.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Hi, further to stanleycamel's post, there was very good article on HeadforPoints over the weekend re Virgin & their PE service; they advise that those with PE bookings keep a closer eye on them.
Yes I read this to, seems the 787s are "dogs" with major engine issues and Virgin have 2 or 3 out of service for some time. Be really frustrating if end up on a replacement plane with no PE.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We flew VA to Miami recently our original booking was on a Dreamliner and got changed to a 767 both ways. We were in PE .The planes we flew on were both old style so that might explain the change.

Edited at 12:35 AM.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List