Unread 30 Nov 17, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Grimdogg View Post
My biggest concern is that we are travelling with a group of 11 - this has challenges in itself but if our son really cannot cope in the long queue times - will this mean we have to separate from the rest of the group? It'll be sad as we are travelling together to experience Disney together - even if that means waiting in long queue times!
We are a group of 11 as well but we have 2 kids with asd so will get 2 access passes. You can book the fastpasses as a group of 11 though.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Next Trip
Unread 7 Dec 17, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by floridavisitor View Post
Be careful what you ask for.

Be very sure that your child's behaviour can't be managed and improved by more discipline and regimented approach to life.

Whilst these issues are real it is too easy to jump to ADHD and other issues nowadays.

For those that genuinely suffer from this they have my sympathies but for anyone reading thinking "Oh that would make queueing easier" please think twice. Once diagnosed with ADHD etc it stays with the child's medical records forever.

Whilst most doctors won't just say "yes, ADHD confirmed - next" if the case is borderline and you seem to be keen to have it diagnosed they will take a path of least resistance

Seems a large price to pay for a shorter queue
This really is nonsense.

ADHD/ASD are NEVER diagnosed as the path of least resistance. It's never a simple process to get a diagnosis, it takes numerous assessments and appointments. I know so many parents who have been left in that limbo of their child being borderline but not enough to diagnose. If they have any doubt, the default is to not diagnose.

All kids need discipline. Good discipline is not harsh or authoritarian. Routine is very helpful, a regimented approach to life sounds pretty dire.

Nobody gets a diagnosis because they think it will make queuing at theme parks easier.
A diagnosis is never "a price to pay" for anything. You make it sound like something that will negatively affect a child for the rest of their lives when that is not the case.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
WickedPlans Loves the DIBBcast Disney Podcast
Unread 7 Dec 17, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WickedPlans View Post
This really is nonsense.

ADHD/ASD are NEVER diagnosed as the path of least resistance. It's never a simple process to get a diagnosis, it takes numerous assessments and appointments. I know so many parents who have been left in that limbo of their child being borderline but not enough to diagnose. If they have any doubt, the default is to not diagnose.

All kids need discipline. Good discipline is not harsh or authoritarian. Routine is very helpful, a regimented approach to life sounds pretty dire.

Nobody gets a diagnosis because they think it will make queuing at theme parks easier.
A diagnosis is never "a price to pay" for anything. You make it sound like something that will negatively affect a child for the rest of their lives when that is not the case.
Thanks for taking the time to write that. I kept thinking I must be reading it wrong!