Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 4 Feb 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Lucy & Nick // The Superfan and the Skeptic // Day 13 - California Grill Brunch & Animal Kingdom

Trip Report Index can be found here

Day 12 can be found here

Day 13 - Cali Grill Brunch & Animal Kingdom

We are now on our final full day in Orlando - very sad!

Today we had another lie in and stayed in bed until 10am which was really nice. We had brunch booked today but it wasn’t until 12pm so we weren’t in a rush and as we had decided that we would take things at a slower pace, we decided not to bother trying to get to a park before hand.

We got ready and tried to dress up a little bit smarter for our brunch and headed out at 11am to get a bus to MK. I intentionally didn’t bring a bag today so that we were able to just skip bag check altogether. I didn’t really need anything anyway, as we were paying by Magic Band and we intended to go home to get changed before we headed to a park anyway.

We made the 5 minute walk to the Contemporary, but as we walked we were reading some of the stones on the way - these are such a brilliant idea, I would have loved to have bought one!

We went straight up to the check in desk and took the elevator up to California Grill. By this point it was only 11:40 so we were quite early for our reservation so our table wasn’t ready yet. We grabbed a Mimosa and sat in the waiting area right next to the window and listened to the musicians that were playing. It was so great, the view was amazing and the musicians were brilliant - especially when they played Disney songs!

We were seated and our server took us through the menu and explained how it all worked. Basically for anyone interested, there is a buffet of appetisers that you can help yourself to - so a charcuterie section (the terrine was incredible, I had multiple portions), a sushi section (Nick loved the shrimp tempura and had almost 2 full plates of it!), a granola/yoghurt section and then a pastry section with bagels/biscuits/scones etc. I picked up a pecan sticky bun and I was really excited about this as it looked and smelt so good, but when I bit into it, it had some sort of fruit(?) in it which I really didn’t like at all so had to leave it. We had a good couple of plates of appetisers each

After helping yourself to appetisers, you can order a main from the menu but they are all made to order so you need to let your server know about 20 minutes before you are ready for your main course. I ordered the blueberry pancakes and Nick ordered the Lobster Eggs Benedict. We had read good things on DisneyFoodBlog about the side of bacon, so we ordered one of these too. Nick loved his main course, though he was bound to as he loves lobster and loves eggs benedict so this was his dream. My pancakes were really good but they were so huge and were really thick too so they were incredibly filling and I barely made a dent in them!

For dessert you then get a plate of various chocolates, cakes and pastries. We decided to wait a little bit before ordering these are we were already really full!

We had a wander out onto the terrace and just took in the beautiful view. It was so breathtaking. We also took a few photos while we were up there of course! I have said before that the Contemporary resort theming doesn’t do anything for me at all, but the location of it makes it such an appealing option. I imagine a theme park view room must be pretty cool! I think if we have enough money next year I would try to book a few nights through DVC points at BLT with theme park view - it is honeymoon part two after all!

The waitress also advised us that if we held onto our receipt we could come back later for the fireworks. As we had already seen HEA twice by this point, and we already had other plans we knew we sadly wouldn’t be back, but this is a really great benefit if you can build it into your plans! Sadly, not going back would end up being a real mistake and you will find out why later in the report!

We eventually asked for dessert and they were really beautiful. We got 2 chocolates (one blueberry and one sea salt caramel), 2 lemon madeleines (one with blueberry and one with raspberry), a chocolate bark with fruit and nut, 2 macaroons (one lemon and one caramel) and 2 biscuits with a fig jam in the middle.

We ate the chocolates, the macaroons and the madeleines but we were too full to eat anything else! Our server kindly offered to box up the rest of the desserts, but we knew we wouldn’t get around to eating them so we left them.
The meal would have cost $160 (it is a flat rate of $80 per adult) but we paid with 4TS credits and charged the tip to the room.

May sound a little pricey but I honestly couldn't recommend it enough and I would happily pay OOP for it, I think it is well worth the money!

By the time we left it was 2:15pm so we headed back to AKL to get changed before we headed out to a park. When we got back to MK, there was an AKL bus waiting so it was a nice quick journey back. Once we were back at the hotel, we decided that since it was our last full day and the plan was to be out late tonight, we would make a start on the packing now as we were really aware of the large quantity of extra stuff we would be taking home with us. The plan was to make sure everything was packed somewhere tonight so we could weight them and check that all bags were within the limits so that if we did need to run out and get an extra bag tomorrow, we knew about it and had time to do so.

We managed to pack everything away fairly easily, although there was a huge difference in the weight of our bags from the start of the holiday. We had brought holdalls that fit in hand luggage inside our suitcases on the way (as we had used small rucksacks on the way) so this bought us some extra space.

We got changed and headed out to Animal Kingdom (I haven’t made a note of what time it was at this point!). Again, a bus to AK was waiting when we got to the bus stops so we had really had some good timing over the last 2 weeks. The journey was less than ten minutes. As we walked into the park we saw another huge queue for Pandora, this time for DVC members and Annual Passholders. Nick did try his luck to see if we could get in but it was a very definite ‘no’ haha - I did warn him!

Our first fastpass was for Expedition everest, so we headed over to ride. Of course we loved it just as much today as we have every other time! The plan was to come back and ride in the dark later on this evening.

The next fastpass was for the safari, which was really great as it was much cooler by now than it was the other day when we decided to cancel our safari fastpass, meaning that the animals were much more active and I think we saw quite a few more animals that I have previously - with the exception of the lions (although I have only ever seen them once!)
We saw so many hippos which was really cool and there were quite a few rhinos too! Nick absolutely LOVED the safari - he is animal obsessed so this was obviously right up his street. Think he wishes we had been able to do it more than once!

Our final fastpass was for Rivers Of Light and it wasn’t time for this yet so we had another wander through Gorilla Falls to see the hippo and the gorillas. The hippo was nowhere near as active today but the gorillas were. There were two baby ones who were play fighting and climbing trees. We watched for ages, it was really funny.

After we finished there we decided to refuel at Yak & Yeti. I had been telling Nick about the honey chicken so I was excited to get some more. Really enjoyed this as always, and so was Nick, although he isn’t a huge fan of plain rice so he mainly ate the chicken.

It was still only 7:20pm at this point and ROL wasn’t until 9:15pm so we headed back over to Dinosaur as we had enjoyed this the other day. It does scare me but I do enjoy it still!

There was barely a queue so we were back out by 7:40pm. We decided to head over to Everest to try to ride before ROL and we saw so many people who were already queuing for ROL in the normal entrances. As we got to Everest we saw lots of people already heading for the fastpass area too which was a worry. The queue for Everest had jumped up too and was a bit too long to risk, so we had a toilet break and stopped for some snacks. Nick has a coke float and I had a vanilla and chocolate swirl soft serve ice cream in a waffle cone - yum! I could go for one of these again now!

We headed into the fastpass area for ROL at 7:50 as it was getting busier and busier. Neither of us were thrilled about having to be there so early although we did get a really good seat. We chatted about our holiday and how much of an amazing time we had had so far and started talking about coming back to Orlando again, so I was thrilled.
As we were waiting, we could see lightning in the very far distance. There was no rain/wind or lightning anywhere near to AK. I was starting to secretly feel dread at this point but I didn’t let on to nick. It got to about 9:00 and the dreaded announcement came on over the tannoy that ROL was going to be delayed but that they were hoping to get it running again soon. After the first announcement not many people left, but the announcement was being played about every 10 minutes and there was no explanation for the delay as even the lightning in the distance had stopped by now.

Time moved on and more and more people were getting up and leaving. We decided to stay as we now felt committed to waiting it out, plus it was our last night so this was our only chance to see it! We got talking to some people around us who were also waiting it out, they were really great. One was an older couple who were DVC members and came to Disney several times a year and the others were a young american couple who were really nice. They were telling us about a trip they had planned to visit the UK.

At 9.50 we were finally told that ROL had been completely cancelled. I am not going to lie I was feeling pretty angry and fed up by this point. I know that sometimes this happens and can’t be helped but I think I was just tired and upset I wasn’t going to get to see it.

The park was closed so we had no choice but to head for the exit but absolutely everyone else was obviously doing exactly the same thing so the crowd heading for the exit was chaos. Thankfully the projection was happening on the tree of life so quite a few people were stopping to watch that so we managed to navigate past quite a few of these and then some slow walkers too.
I did expect to have to wait for ages for a bus back to AKL and there was a huge queue at the bus stop, but thankfully 2 buses came at the same time. We thought we would have to wait for the third bus but quite a few families with pushchairs decided they would wait for the next bus so we managed to be the last two people on the bus back. We didn’t mind standing and being cramped as obviously AK to AKL is a really quick journey.

We got to the room, and grabbed the bags we had packed earlier in the day and took them down to Bell Services. As it was so late by this point it was nice and quiet. We still had 5kg in one of the hand luggages and 3kg in one suitcase. The other 2 bags were bang on the limit! Feeling relieved about the luggage, we headed back up to our room and headed to bed as we had an early morning for our final ADR!
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 18, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Oh, that's such a shame about ROL, and on your last night too! But it looked like a fab day up until that point. Nick's sushi plate has nearly sold me on that brunch.

I love the CR decor, I wish they'd carried the same theme over into BLT. I really dislike that one. Still, MK view room is hard to turn down if you can afford it!
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Yes, it really was a shame about ROL - I wish we had gone back to the Contemporary to watch HEA again! It really was a brilliant day though, I honestly recommend the brunch so much!
It was the first thing that went onto our ADR list for this year as it was one of our favourite bits of the trip, it is so worth the money!
Sadly, I never got around to adding on a few nights DVC at the contemporary for this year (I actually wrote this before xmas hence the 'next year') so I reckon I will be too late now sadly - oh well, it's a budget trip anyway!
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I've already booked an ADR for brunch for our trip this summer, having read your report I'm now super excited, it sounded awesome. I'm glad you felt like you could take your time and you weren't rushed to leave or move on to the next part of the meal. The photos of all the sushi looked great.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh what a shame about ROL ☹️
Your brunch looked lovely though and it’s something to look forward to for next time x
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Uh oh, I should have steered clear of this one, I really want to do California Grill brunch, but I promised myself no extras this trip. It looks and sounds wonderful, and I love how laid back and relaxing it is, love how you just take everything at your own pace, and can enjoy the music (love the idea of Disney songs) or go out and enjoy the view. I really want to go for it now. Decisions, decisions.

I love your dress!

What a shame about Rivers of Light, the night we had the Rivers of Light package booked last year had horrendous weather, we ended up giving up and going home, luckily we were able to go back the next night to see it.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 18, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a shame ROL was cancelled after waiting so long

Joan
Old 2 Apr 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

Sounds like you really enjoyed your brunch.

Such a shame about RoL
Old 24 May 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Cali Grill brunch looks amazing. So much choice.

I'm not surprised you were full by the end though - buffet appetizers, then a breakfast main course and then chocolates?! Wow!

The view is stunning, but like you, I am not a big fan of the theming at the Contemporay, it just reminds me of a standard business hotel. The location and the monorail sweeping through is pretty special though.

What a shame about Rivers of Light, especially as you hung around waiting for it. I would be pretty annoyed about that too - especially if the weather wasn't bad where you were. So frustrating.

Otherwise though, a really nice last day with a relaxing pace and some great food!

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 18, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I've already booked an ADR for brunch for our trip this summer, having read your report I'm now super excited, it sounded awesome. I'm glad you felt like you could take your time and you weren't rushed to leave or move on to the next part of the meal. The photos of all the sushi looked great.
Oh my god you will not regret it, the brunch was absolutely amazing we loved every minute! We have it booked again for this year it was that good! Definitely were not rushed at all, we could have easily stayed much longer, in fact the table next to us were there before us and were still there when we left! Just remember to take ID haha they only let us have 1 mimosa each because we forgot ours!

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
Oh what a shame about ROL ☹️
Your brunch looked lovely though and it’s something to look forward to for next time x
Brunch was absolutely fab, couldn't recommend it enough! Yes was a real shame about ROL, will have to try to fit it in this year!

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Uh oh, I should have steered clear of this one, I really want to do California Grill brunch, but I promised myself no extras this trip. It looks and sounds wonderful, and I love how laid back and relaxing it is, love how you just take everything at your own pace, and can enjoy the music (love the idea of Disney songs) or go out and enjoy the view. I really want to go for it now. Decisions, decisions.

I love your dress!

What a shame about Rivers of Light, the night we had the Rivers of Light package booked last year had horrendous weather, we ended up giving up and going home, luckily we were able to go back the next night to see it.
Hahah I am a terrible influence but you should totally book it! It was hands down the best experience of the trip, we loved it so much that we have it booked again for this year!

Thanks so much - the dress was a real cheapy! I went on a budget holiday to Nice with my family and needed some summer clothes and shopped on 'Select' (not somewhere I would usually shop) and I got 3 very similar ones for about £8 each - bargain!

Yes it was a shame about ROL will have to try to go this year!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
What a shame ROL was cancelled after waiting so long

Joan
I know it was such a shame - oh well, gives me an excuse to go back haha!

Originally Posted by mouselover22 View Post
Sounds like you really enjoyed your brunch.

Such a shame about RoL
Oh yes brunch was incredible, couldn't recommend it enough! Shame about ROL, but just gives me another reason to go back hah!

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
Cali Grill brunch looks amazing. So much choice.

I'm not surprised you were full by the end though - buffet appetizers, then a breakfast main course and then chocolates?! Wow!

The view is stunning, but like you, I am not a big fan of the theming at the Contemporay, it just reminds me of a standard business hotel. The location and the monorail sweeping through is pretty special though.

What a shame about Rivers of Light, especially as you hung around waiting for it. I would be pretty annoyed about that too - especially if the weather wasn't bad where you were. So frustrating.

Otherwise though, a really nice last day with a relaxing pace and some great food!
Yes the brunch was honestly just amazing it exceeded my expectations by a long way (and I went in with very high expectations!). The food was all so good and as you say, the view was just perfect! Yes I totally agree, the hotel is really boring, seems such a waste when it has the best location of all!

ROL getting cancelled was definitely frustrating, but at least it gives me a reason to go back!