Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 17 Mar 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) A Decade of Disney Dreaming - 2017- Day 8 AoA, a change of plan then Epcot.

You can always tell when work gets in the way, I look at the number of days since I last updated this trip report Sorry for the gap and mental is possibly the best way to describe work.

Anyway - We're back and ready for an update. Appreciate your patience and ongoing reading and comments

The whole Index is a click here away

Whilst if you missed our first Disney Day - from opening in MK to closing in AK then you can catch up by clicking here.

Welcome to Day 8

Thursday 3rd August 2017

THE PLAN!

Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Check Out Before 11:00 AM
Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park
Na'vi River Journey
5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Kilimanjaro Safaris
6:45 PM - 7:45 PM
Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain
7:45 PM - 8:45 PM

The plan for today was in the bin as we awoke, having booked Na’vi journey so far in advance and it really did not fit today, as we had experienced so much last night.

ALL of the above was scrapped and the FP’s put back into the system so another family may hopefully avoid the wait time. We quickly rebooked FP's and accepted that we really wanted to be back at the Villa for the evening.

Having recognised there was no point in doing extra magic morning today we slept well(...ish) and took our time (except for housekeeping who knocked on the door twice before 9am- they were a bit keen!

More so than I was. My sleep was a fitful one, I had found that the biggest downfall of AoA. The bed was uncomfortable which did not help my back , so an ipod night was welcomed with the remaining months backlog of favourite Disney Dibbcasts listened to.

We took until 10, before we packed the car, moved it and then enjoyed the cheapest breakfast in Orlando- toast for 4 only $3.78 including tax. When not on the dining plan , it is good to know you can get such good value to go with the refillable mug bought yesterday.

We then enjoyed the pool area -apart from the life guard going in after an American kid who was too proud to wear a life jacket yet couldn't swim - one tantrum later and he was back in the pool still without a life jacket! You couldn't make it up. We watched and just held our head in our hands, the poor lad could not swim and even the parents were too proud to put one of the free life vest on him as they were with extended family.

The rest of the time was spent enjoying the music in and out of the pool - you could hear it underwater too.

Lots of Nemo songs together with many other songs from films and beyond.

We were enjoying the pool but recognised that our first fast pass would be with us.

We changed, took some more resort pics and headed to Epcot in the car- having only an overnight bag meant we did not have all the cases and worldly good to move around and about. This was a huge benefit. I have typed in previous years about always being careful about packing up and then parking with all your cases, passports etc in the car, it may be a good idea at the time but you do need to be very careful, and from stories read on here in the past please don't think of leaving everything in your car at the Outlets when shopping.

...and a Christmas Bauble bought prior to departure

We were parked way back in the parking lot and got the tram almost instantly- the fact we got the tram was a sign of how far away we were- I always love to walk from the parking lot into the park.

Now, I would love to even begin to add detail and words but my notes for today stopped right here, adrenaline of returning to Epcot hit and I have to admit I think we could have jogged a lap of world showcase. But there were no notes of possibly the only missing hours of the holiday. Lack of notes is systematic in just one thing- short queues and no time to get the phone out to type. We settled for the photographic approach to the rest of the day.

Park bag packed, readied for the first time

It was a remarkably simple one – Epcot= Soarin, food, Living with the land , Test Track and Spaceship Earth.

Soarin’ Fast pass was top of the list this morning and as always we took the “Can we ride front row?” politely asking as always.

Our cheap breakfast caught up with us after all that swimming, so a pit stop at 4seasons was needed. It was good and the sheer enormity of the choice here allows for considerable flexibility. Quality of food is good and even without DDP it was value for money considering what we enjoyed.

We then chose to ride a no queue Living with the land – I love this ride and having done the living with the seeds tour we always take a time to remember the time we were ‘on show’.

Some of the exhibits have changed considerably, especially the baby gators that used to be homed in the tanks at the end.

We then headed for Test Track, single rider and always in the knowledge you can get a picture just to give you a time and place in a park!

We had a Fp at Spaceship Earth to round it all off and we had packed in three memorable hours in the park

We rolled ourselves in and knew we had so much ahead, also that we had enjoyed so much in the first few hours of this part of the holiday.

It would have been so easy to have achieved that jog around World Showcase or perhaps just stayed until closing

We enjoyed taking pics and just absorbed where we were at, as we edged towards the exit, to the Villa and to a night of feeling at home with pool, hot tub and a bit of a question mark about our whole off site experience?

Worth the money? – possibly.
Worth the night away from the perfect villa? – NO
Worth the FP opportunities offered at 60 days for just a one night stay? -100%- which then makes the first question 100% too.

We all enjoyed the space that the Villa once again brought. Bags unloaded from car and we simply raced to the pool. A Whole day swimathon completed and time for bed for the boys, a hot tubathon and some/ plenty of beers for Alison and I.

Sleep in a very comfy bed was welcomed, appreciated and swift in sending everyone into a welcomed slumber.

Thanks for Reading and promise day 9 will be with you very soon.

It is a click here away

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 01:40 AM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Good use made of AofA (ie FP and pool/food court)
Great to read ur back home now (villa/WDW&#128540
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm not surprised you had a more chilled out day after the excitement of yesterday you must have needed it. The changing of the plan worked out pretty well with some great rides at Epcot, it sounds like it was really quiet if you weren't able to do your notes!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good day and you did the rides you wantedand a nice relaxing evening round the pool

Joan
Old 18 Mar 18, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good day followed by a lovely evening.
Old 18 Mar 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

A very good use of an overnighter 👍🏻 I’m not surprised you needed a change of plan after your excitement and exhausting day yesterday.

Looking forward to reading more, as always 😁
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 18, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Another good day, it is great having all the extra space in a villa. Were doing a split stay as we enjoy the on site benefits but welcome the space of a villa after a few days!
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 18, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by flo-tinka View Post
Good use made of AofA (ie FP and pool/food court)
Great to read ur back home now (villa/WDW&#128540

Oh to be back there right now
AoA was a fab night and worth it for the FP's it allowed us for FoP.

Loving the look of your countdown and what you have planned

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm not surprised you had a more chilled out day after the excitement of yesterday you must have needed it. The changing of the plan worked out pretty well with some great rides at Epcot, it sounds like it was really quiet if you weren't able to do your notes!
I usually just keep annoying everyone by typing on my phone whilst in the park - I find it avoids making useless conversation with the family and also means I don't spend the evenings trying to remember what we went on and what we did.

We always try to ensure that we can change a plan depending on what we really need as a family, it would be the biggest piece of advice I would give to anyone going to WDW.

Thanks for your continued reading

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 18, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Brilliant day, agree the hotel is worth the money for the fastpasses alone, but the villa space is so much better

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good day and you did the rides you wantedand a nice relaxing evening round the pool

Joan

Thanks Joan

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
A good day followed by a lovely evening.
Was a long day but the evening really did show us just how much we enjoy the Villa experience