Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 28 Mar 18, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Garth and Louise's Graduation Celebration June 2017 - Day 10 - Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs

Welcome to my trip report! The index is here, and day 9 is here.

Thursday 22nd June - Day 10

After our late night last night we had planned a lie in. Typically, I woke up at 6.50! I did get back to sleep for an hour but I was awake properly at 8. For the first time since arriving at Disney we weren’t attempting to be at a park for opening so we chilled out and got ready slowly for our day at Animal Kingdom. We had a sort through our laundry pile ready to do a wash later on in the week. We were leaving the room for breakfast at 9.07.

As we were leaving we heard a load dialing tone as if a phone had been picked up and then a very angry man shouting “Taylor!”. Seems like Taylor was being naughty in the room next to ours We had got a voicemail on the phone last night saying our $200 gift card had arrived so we went to collect this first. Sure enough it had arrived!

Finally! We were planning on using this towards our room balance so we put it in our bag for now ready to put back in the room before leaving for AK later. We got to Floatworks by 9.20 and it was a lot busier than it had been so far. We expected it really as we were so much later than normal. We ordered a Mickey waffle with sausages and blueberry sauce to share and we also picked up some orange juice. It would have cost us $8.49 + whatever the orange juice cost but we used a quick serve credit. We were experimenting trying different things out at breakfast but before long we did revert to getting beignets every day Mia served us again and wished us a nice day! I sat down with breakfast while Garth got us drinks in our refillable mugs. There were out of coffee ( ) so Garth got a root beer and he got me vanilla coke. Then it was time to eat!

It was a good waffle. It was enough for us to share as we had lunch booked for Yak and Yeti and didn’t want to fill up too much. When we’d finished we went back to the room to lock the giftcard up in the safe and to put suncream on. We left again at 9.43 and we were on a bus by 9.46, brilliant timing! The bus dropped into Riverside en route and it filled up a bit. The resort looks lovely but it did seem a lot bigger than French Quarter. The diversion extended the journey time a bit but we were on our way soon and there was no rushing for us today! While we were on the bus we got the Magic Kingdom map and ticked off the things we had got done so far. I love map ticking. We arrived at Animal Kingdom at 10.10 and got some photopass pictures on the way.

The park was busy. All the parks seemed busy busy but when it came to getting stuff done I think we’d planned really well so far. The crowds didn’t really bother us. We headed towards Finding Nemo the Musical but we were a quite early so we went into Dinoland. We decided to make Triceratops Spin our first AK ride!

I always feel like on these rides we are the only adults there without kids. We don’t mind though I love them! None of them beat One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish in Islands of Adventure though. Although I’m not a fan of getting wet it’s so fun to try and avoid it and Garth always winds me up So childish. Anyway we had fun flying with the dinos and then we headed back to the theatre in the wild. We chose to sit in the bubble zone because why not! There are no words to describe how much I love this musical. I saw it for the first time with my family when I was 15, and then went home to the villa we were staying in and watched it all over again on youtube. I also sent the link to Garth and made him watch it at home too! I was desperate to get a CD this time so I could listen to it in the car at home. The show was great and the actors did a really good job. They’re really good at making it consistent so the characters always sound very similar. I love the all the puppets and the flying/swimming and when the creatures come into the audience. It’s just so good! When the bubbles started coming from the ceiling the child next to me decided to climb on me to reach the bubbles. I don’t mind kids and I’ll gladly smile and wave if one is smiling at me but I have a limit and I was not comfortable at all with a child’s sticky fingers on my legs The adult with the kid didn’t seem to notice for a while so I kind of cleared my throat and she shouted “I WILL SPANK YOU”. It was an uncomfortable experience and I was glad when it was over! I do hope she didn’t “spank” the kid though. Anyway after the show we headed over to Expedition Everest for our first fastpass of the day.

We got there one minute early but Mickey turned green for us. We bypassed a 40 minute queue so it was a good use of a fastpass. For some reason I always miss the Yeti and I’d never seen him before! I just don’t look up. I missed him again as Garth’s reminder to look up wasn’t close enough to the event so I forgot I love the feeling in the dark when it feels like you’ve done upside down. I look quite unamused in the picture

This was kind of the ride of the holiday. I’ll have to count up while writing this how many times we went on it but it was a fair few But only once today! It’s just so much fun. We looked in the shop afterwards and Garth saw a tshirt he liked but I always like to wait to spend money later on in the holiday. I managed to convince him to wait until next time! We were peckish so headed towards Yak and Yeti for our lunch reservation, even though we were a bit early.

I think garth was supposed to get the Asia sign in this pic… but it’s just me with a post

We checked in at around 12.10 and they asked if we had a Landry card. I did get one for Bubba Gumps but didn’t even think to bring it along to Yak and Yeti! It was sitting in the safe back at French Quarter! I did have the app on my phone though so they took my membership number which was good. We had a little bit of wait which we expected being a bit early but we were seated by half past by our server Brandy.

It was a big menu! We’d chosen to come here because we’d read about it in Aimee and Lauren’s trip reports and the food looked really good. This kind of influenced our food choices a little bit While we were choosing the manager Andy came over to talk to us and let us know to give him a shout if we had any problems. They really do treat the Landry card members well! After he’d gone I ordered the chicken tikka masala and Garth ordered the Kobe beef burger. We also got some tap water and Garth got a virgin mango daiquiri.

The food came by 12.45 so really quickly.

Mine was really nice. I love curry but I don't like it too spicey and this was perfect for me. However, Garth’s burger. I can’t even. He gave me a bite and that single mouthful is all I’ve been able to think about since. My biggest regret of the holiday (or my life) was not ordering the burger too! We are NEVER going back to WDW and not getting the Kobe beef burger. I can’t even express how amazing my bite was. When all our food was gone (and it didn’t take long) Brandy asked if we wanted desserts. We didn’t even need to look at the menu, we knew we wanted the fried wontons! To be honest we could have shared but we were so impressed with the food we were feeling greedy enough to order one each.

They were so good. The sauce was the best part I think! Although the ice cream was good too. They were so different. We were so full by the time we’d finished. They took our $25 welcome reward off so the total came to $47.87- a bargain for how much we enjoyed it. We left a $14 tip which was more than the recommended 18% on the check but we accounted for the $25 reward coming off. We rolled out of Yak and Yeti and our lives had been changed by that burger. I really hope it lives up to the memory when we go back! We used the loos and went towards It’s Tough to be a Bug. It was showing 20 but we walked right through into the room under the tree and waited for the doors to open. This had been closed last time so Garth had never seen it! And I hadn’t seen it in a good 6 years. It was scarier than I remember! I’ve definitely turned into more of a wimp as time’s gone on. There were kids wailing throughout the show and the 4D elements made Garth jump! It’s good fun though. Back in 2001 my brother was only 3 and he was one of those wailing children who had to be removed during the show. It really gave him a fear of cinemas! So it was quite nostalgic for me to leave the show surrounded by crying children It was nice to cool down for a bit and now it was time for Kali River Rapids. We stopped off at a shop to grab a carrier bag so we could pop our shoes off and put our flipflops on. After getting really wet feet at SeaWorld last week we were making our best efforts to keeping our feet dry. We scanned in to our fastpass for Kali but we soon realised it was absolutely rammed. The ride had gone down earlier so everyone was returning for their fastpass now. I kind of hit a wall in this queue. It was so hot and we were standing around in the sun and we had to wait half an hour, which wasn’t bad compared to the standby time but when you know you’re using a fastpass it’s a bit irritating. I kept getting a bit woozy in the sun (it was probably too much food to be honest) and I just couldn’t wait for the queue to be over. When we got on the ride it was a real let down anyway It was really short and I hardly got splashed and although I normally don’t like getting wet I kind of needed it! It was a bit of a waste of time really! I was super tired and hot, I think last night was catching up with me. We had a fastpass booked for Flight of Passage though and we weren’t going to skip that so we went towards Pandora.

Garth had the camera. I was grumpy and not really appreciative of how beautiful Pandora was. We went to Satu’li Canteen to sit down to get some water and a special drink.

We both got a Pandoran Sunrise. They would have cost $4.49 each but we used 2 snack credits. I don’t have a receipt and Garth thinks they refused to give us one for some reason, how rude! We went and sat down in the aircon.

It was a yummy drink but very sweet so I didn’t finish mine. I wish we’d tried some food here! I drank a lot of water while we were sat inside. By the time we were finished our fastpass was active. We went to use the loos but the ladies queue was so long so I didn’t bother! Pandora really is a spectacle.

It took us a while to actually find the entrance to the ride but we found it and scanned in at 3.45. It had a funky fastpass reader, no green Mickeys here! We got through really quickly and wow this was an amazing ride! I was really apprehensive thinking surely it couldn’t be that good for someone who’s not a big fan of the film. I like the film but it’s not one of my favourites. But the ride was just an experience. The smells and the water spray and everything about it was just so immersive. I’d definitely wait 2 hours to go on this ride if I couldn’t get a fastpass, no doubt about it. We looked in the shop afterwards and there were some cool bits and pieces.

It was around half 4 now and despite our amazing ride on FOP I was still done. I feel bad for Garth when I crash like this because he can go go go no matter what. But I needed to cosy up in bed for a bit so we headed back to the bus stop.

It was sooo hot while we were waiting for a bus and it felt like an age before one arrived! The bus stop was super busy so when a bus arrived at 4.50 the driver called for another one. It had ‘Dreams do come true in Port Orleans’ which we really appreciated as we had been singing this in the lead up to our holiday!

We got on the next bus at 5pm. I did another Louise special and fell asleep on the bus Garth heard a girl said “it’s called animal kingdom because when you leave you smell like an animal”! I don’t think I smelled like an animal at the time but to be fair we hadn’t really seen the animals today so maybe we avoided it We were home at 5.20 and I crashed out straight away. I presume Garth napped with me as well. We had a good long nap and woke up at 6.45pm. I went to jump in the shower and saw our swim shoes from yesterday’s trip to Volcano Bay had been cleaned and put in the corner of the bath.

Neither of us had done it so the maid must have cleaned all the sand out of them for us! We had been tipping everyday so maybe they were feeling extra appreciative today. How kind! We didn’t really want to sit in the hotel room all evening so we debated our options and decided to head to Disney Springs for the evening. After a nap and a shower I was feeling a lot fresher.

We left the room at 7.30pm.

There was a boat just pulling off so we’d have a little wait before the next one but it was a pleasant evening and it was lovely waiting by the river.

Our boat pulled away at 7.40pm and I got a bit snap happy because it was so beautiful.

We arrived at Disney Springs just before 8pm. Our boat driver had advised us to get the bus back rather than the boat as it can get super busy in the evenings and it’d be quicker and easier to go back via bus so we decided to bare this in mind for later.

We went in the Christmas shop first for a mooch.

We were planning on getting Christmas decorations but we weren’t going to buy any today. Next we went into Art of Disney. I collect Jim Shore Disney Traditions and had been planning to buy the hitch-hiking ghosts on this trip, but I was still hesitant to spend any money quite yet!

I was eyeing up this one too.

I loved these Frozen Fever figurines. I would do anything to have a real life dress like Anna’s or Elsa’s from Frozen Fever. We had a look at the hats too. We wanted graduation hats so we had a look for later.

We were ready for our dinner now so went on a hunt to find Blaze pizza. We passed a toy store and saw a giant Duffy so I had to go in and say hello!

I love teddies. The sun was setting and it was lovely.

It was getting pretty busy now though.

We went too far for Blaze pizza at first but we used an interactive directory to find our way back. Unfortunately the queue for Blaze was out the door so we made a quick decision to go back to French Quarter for pizza. Garth had his heart set on pizza now! We headed to the bus stop and we were leaving at 9.08. It had been lovely to have a look around Disney Springs and we knew we’d be back to pick up some of the things we liked the look of later on. There was a fair bit of traffic but we were back at 9.20. I miss the smell of walking into the lobby. We went straight to Floatworks and checked out the pizza options.

We hadn’t been around for dinner time before so there were things out we hadn’t seen before.

We ordered the Cajun Bayou pizza- chicken and sausage mmmm. They took Garth’s name like at Starbucks and called when it was ready. While we were waiting we saw them making up pasta bowls. They looked really good and huge, definitely big enough to share. The pizza would have been $17.99 but we got 2 hot chocolates with it and it came to 2QS credits. Holding the box!

We went up to the room and then opened it up… it looked amazing.

And it tasted good too!

We only ate around half (where were our Disney appetites at?!) and we went to put the rest in the fridge but the box wouldn’t fit! Garth stacked up the slices on plates and covered them over instead. We ironed our clothes for the morning and put Mean Girls on tv while we crashed into bed. We didn’t watch much of the film as we were soon conked out after another full day.

Tomorrow we take our final trip to Universal of the trip and have lunch at Bubba Gumps

Steps today: 19967

Edited at 09:33 PM.
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Great day!

Are you sure the parent in the Nemo show wasn't talking to you?! ;-)

AK is the only place I have hit the wall - it is the hottest most humid place in the world. Fact.

I think FOP is the best ride in Orlando. I don't do coasters, and I only kept my eyes open for about 1/4 of it, I opened them at one point and this (spoiler alert) giant whale lept out of the ocean at me! wow!...and then gave my 2nd fast pass to the kids...

Thanks for posting prices - Yak & Yeti is now booked! We are on QSDP, so limited, and been meaning to do this for sometime...so now it's in.

Edited at 02:19 PM.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jamcat
Having Dinner with Goofy

I am loving your trip report! Huge congrats on both of you getting your firsts and massive congrats on your forthcoming wedding- you seem like a lovely couple and are obviously soul mates.
jamcat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A nice evening at Disney springs, the boat ride over sounds nice and relaxed. The photos look beautiful. Cold pizza for breakfast the next morning? I can't wait to find out!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsArcher2b
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Great trip report! I'm loving it.

You guys are such a lovely couple. You've obviously been together a long time. Congratulations!

Please could you tell me where you got those black floral shorts? They're gorgeous x
MrsArcher2b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Great day!

Are you sure the parent in the Nemo show wasn't talking to you?! ;-)

AK is the only place I have hit the wall - it is the hottest most humid place in the world. Fact.

I think FOP is the best ride in Orlando. I don't do coasters, and I only kept my eyes open for about 1/4 of it, I opened them at one point and this (spoiler alert) giant whale lept out of the ocean at me! wow!...and then gave my 2nd fast pass to the kids...

Thanks for posting prices - Yak & Yeti is now booked! We are on QSDP, so limited, and been meaning to do this for sometime...so now it's in.
I hope the parent wasn't talking to me, this is a family show!

I so agree about AK. I probably didn't help matters with the late night but being in animal kingdom in June was a recipe for disaster really! It's a shame you shut your eyes on FOP, it's full of amazing moments like that. But then it's so overwhelming and feels so real so it is kind of terrifying!

Yes! Yak and yeti will be so worth it I promise!

Thank you for reading and commenting

Originally Posted by jamcat View Post
I am loving your trip report! Huge congrats on both of you getting your firsts and massive congrats on your forthcoming wedding- you seem like a lovely couple and are obviously soul mates.
That's so kind of you thank you! We're very lucky to have each other I think thanks so much for reading and commenting!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A nice evening at Disney springs, the boat ride over sounds nice and relaxed. The photos look beautiful. Cold pizza for breakfast the next morning? I can't wait to find out!
Ahhh the shame to admit we didn't eat it for breakfast! We had a lot of food planned for the next day. Thanks for your comment and for reading

Originally Posted by MrsArcher2b View Post
Great trip report! I'm loving it.

You guys are such a lovely couple. You've obviously been together a long time. Congratulations!

Please could you tell me where you got those black floral shorts? They're gorgeous x
Thank you! That's very nice of you to say we were lucky to have found each other so early on in life!

Shorts were from Matalan, they're so light and comfortable and I think they were only £6!

Thank you for reading and commenting
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 18, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great day, that burger looks amazing

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 18, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I thought you were going to say the burger was horrible, and I was panicking because that’s what I want to eat when I go to Yak and Yeti. Glad it lived up to expectations!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Our Grumpy1
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 27
Glad you got your $200 gift card.

How nice of Mouse Keeping to clean your swim shoes

We find AK draining due to the heat there; never been lucky enough to avoided a total soaking on Kali though

Lovely shots of the Sassagoula River it's a nice leisurely pace on the boat at the right time of day when it's not too hot.
Old 1 Jun 18, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

The BF and I both 'hit a wall' when in Animal Kingdom too. I don't know what it is but I am sure that park is a contender for hottest place on earth!

You still got a lot done that day and your lunch at Yak & Yeti looks yummy.

I didn't know you could get a boat from Port Orleans French Quarter to Disney Springs, so thank you for that. It had just made Port Orleans even more appealing.

I hope you manage to go back and do the shopping you are leaving for later especially the graduation hats - they are so cute!

Thank you for sharing!

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List