Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Apr 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Scammed !

Mainly I’m ‘venting’ but someone might have suggestions from their own experiences.

A family member allowed a stranger to persuade her into withdrawing a large amount of cash for him, on the basis that he was a plain-clothes police officer investigating a fraud on her account. We believe she might have given him some info about herself, particularly her phone numbers 😱. She had calls from him after.

I should explain that she is in her 60’s and lives ok as a carer for her elderly mum (with a lot of family support) but if she were a child these days it’s possible she’d be described as having ‘special needs’.

As it wasn’t a fraud on her account, she’s obviously lost the money for ever. We’ve helped her change her bank card, blocked the old one, changed phone numbers, got a crime number from the police and got the bank to check for other entries she doesn’t recognise.

Obviously the scammer realised that she was vulnerable and took advantage.

I’m telling you this just because I need to get it off my chest !

I’m wondering if there’s anything we can do to “flag” her up as vulnerable with the bank and maybe social services or the police ? Long shot/impossible I imagime.

Thanks for listening.

Linda xx

Edited at 11:07 AM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

What a horrible thing to happen, I cannot use the words I would like to on here to describe how I feel about the scum who prey on innocent people like this.

If she goes to the bank, with you or another family member she trusts, you may be able to set up an informal arrangement that allows them to check with you before she takes out over a certain amount. Obviously she would have to be willing for this to happen. But I do know of someone who has this arrangement set up. If her bank doesn't do this, they may be able to suggest something similar.

Another option is to ask the bank to limit her cash point withdrawals to a smaller amount each time. Just enough for her to manage on, but then for larger amounts she would need to go into the branch and they could ring her nominated relative to confirm.

Edited at 11:20 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks, some good ideas which I will follow up.

Yes I had to refrain from using certain words in my post !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Another perspective. I would not go down the path of restricting her access to her own money, she is in her 60s and I don't think she should be treated like a child because she was the victim of fraud.

Impersonating a police officer is a serious offence and I would definitely be reporting it. They might not be too interested about the loss of money but I think that the impersonating a police officer could mean it is treated with some seriousness.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Nothing to add but just wanted to say these scammers are the scum of the earth

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

The bank can (probably - my place of work does it so I am sure all financial institutions are the same) put a "vulnerable customer" flag on the account, it usually means for large deposits / wdls then they will question what it's for, they won't make her feel uncomfortable but rather do it in general chit chat (well that's what they should be doing!) that way she is likely to tell them why she is drawing it out and then that will raise flags with the cashiers and they should refuse the transaction and flag it up with fraud. Usually when they put the flags on they can add notes so it can be added that she has been scammed previously so it would give the cashiers an idea of what they are looking for.

I can't abide by people who take advantage of vulnerable people (be it children, the elderly or any other form of vulnerability!)

Edited at 07:28 AM.
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Can I praise Linda for sorting this mess out while we are away! She took control of the banking and phone situation to prevent further scamming, and picked up on the potential for a more serious fraud to take place.
If we had been home, we might have been able to catch this piece of scum and done a citizens arrest! Although he may have ended up in a serious state before that! Words cannot describe how I want to see him suffer! Reality is he will never be found! Our main worry is the I formation the victim has given out, she tells everyone our business too! We will have some sorting out to do when home! DH and I have discussed a few options, mainly her finances. We are furious with both her and the scammers! The police didn’t bother to even show up, even when the scammer was outside her door!
Old 26 Apr 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Another perspective. I would not go down the path of restricting her access to her own money, she is in her 60s and I don't think she should be treated like a child because she was the victim of fraud.

Impersonating a police officer is a serious offence and I would definitely be reporting it. They might not be too interested about the loss of money but I think that the impersonating a police officer could mean it is treated with some seriousness.
The police don’t seem too interested in seeing her. We have to tread a fine line between being angry with her, and not pushing her into a breakdown. All possible steps have been covered to keep them safe. This scammer could come back. It’s horrible being so far away and powerless.
Old 26 Apr 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
The police don’t seem too interested in seeing her. We have to tread a fine line between being angry with her, and not pushing her into a breakdown. All possible steps have been covered to keep them safe. This scammer could come back. It’s horrible being so far away and powerless.

Don't worry, it's all under control ! Alarms fitted, strict instructions given not to touch the controls. Excess cash confiscated from her bedroom. As far as i can tell, your house is unscathed apart from a few smashed glasses 😂. I'm taking them home on Saturday.
Old 26 Apr 18, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Info for anyone who has had a vulnerable relative/ friend scammed and the person scamming them know where they live. Please can family/ friends look out for chalk/ paint marks around the property (or anything unusual placed outside property) and get rid of them if you see them. Scum like these use these to identify vulnerable people and then other scum will target them using these marks to identify a possible victim.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List