Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post

Bianca

You told me you were still 20.

I thought you’d never heard of snoods, leg warmers or padded shoulders.

TC
Did I say 22? I meant 20!

I don't understand the rest of your post!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
I was with Scottish Power until recently. Before I went I received contact; believed phone calls and then text messages from them. I told them I wasn’t interested in a smart meter. In response to the text I was clear that I didn’t want the meter and they said that they would call me to discuss. I told them not to do so and so it continued once or twice more before they stopped.

I am in the MSE cheap energy club and I had heard that these meters would not be compatible with other companies for a while. I left SP at the end of the deal and went to a new provider.

I think the meters eventually will be compatible across the board but I don’t like being forced and I don’t want to have the equivalent of a Betamax video player when everyone will be going over to VHS. If you’re less than 40 you probably won’t get this reference.

TC

I was far too technically savvy to waste my hard earned cash on either VHS or Betamax as I knew they wouldn't catch on. Invested in a Phillips V2000 instead. It's never let me down.

Mick
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Did I say 22? I meant 20!

I don't understand the rest of your post!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
TC

I was far too technically savvy to waste my hard earned cash on either VHS or Betamax as I knew they wouldn't catch on. Invested in a Phillips V2000 instead. It's never let me down.

Mick

Cutting edge Mick. Cutting edge.

TC
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Dan's Mum
VIP Dibber

I’m fed up with Scottish Power. Every time I log in to put my meter readings in the first screen you see is about smart meters. They’ve stopped emailing and texting after I kicked up a stink...

D x
Dan's Mum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

NPower did this to us over a year ago and went one better and included the time of the appointment to fit it we had asked for - all lies. We rang Lowry Beck who are the company that actually install them as when I called NPower they were saying we could change the time if it was not convenient but could not cancel the installation process. When I rang Lowry Beck they cancelled the installation immediately and said we were not the first to find themselves strong armed into accepting a smart meter.

For years I have known that if I turn a light on or leave my phone charger plugged in well surrprise, surprise I am using electricity and if I turn said light off or turn off unused charger it reduces electricity usage and certainly do not need a smart meter to tell me this. It is also easy enough to not over pay for electricity which is another excuse given for having one.

Edited at 10:34 PM.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JAF View Post
NPower did this to us over a year ago and went one better and included the time of the appointment to fit it we had asked for - all lies. We rang Lowry Beck who are the company that actually install them as when I called NPower they were saying we could change the time if it was not convenient but could not cancel the installation process. When I rang Lowry Beck they cancelled the installation immediately and said we were not the first to find themselves strong armed into accepting a smart meter.

For years I have known that if I turn a light on or leave my phone charger plugged in well surrprise, surprise I am using electricity and if I turn said light off or turn off unused charger it reduces electricity usage and certainly do not need a smart meter to tell me this. It is also easy enough to not over pay for electricity which is another excuse given for having one.
I am absolutely stunned to read how many people have been treated like this, and had I not posted on here then I would have had no idea. I seriously thought that I'd clicked on something that I hadn't meant to. I'm pretty angry now to be honest.
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
I wish I had read this thread I've just replied to an Eon email booking to fit one next week 😱 Wasn't aware how many issues there were with them. Need to cancel it now.
FWIW, my previous house had one and didn't have a single issue with it in the three years we were there. The extra monitor thing never worked properly but that never bothered me - the meter itself ran fine. Just unplugged the monitor and stuck it in a cupboard - not going to sit around seeing how much electricity I use anyway. Usually too busy switching off lights to even be able to see it.

Current place also has a smart meter but I haven't connected it to wifi so it acts like a normal one.

Edited at 10:47 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've just used the contact page to send N Power a message saying I did not request one and don't want one. I also posted that I've taken screenshots of my message to prove that I've contacted them, which I did!
Old 21 Jun 18, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Mobile

They emailed me apologising for this email sent today. Made especially silly by the fact that actually do have one already!
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Just want to add the other side of the story but please don’t lynch me

I work for one of the main suppliers, actually on the smart meter project. None of the suppliers instigated smart meters and they are all forced by the government to roll them out. It started years ago when the government agreed to an EU directive on reducing energy usage by 2020, all connected to climate change agreements and our government decided smart meters would help them hit the target. Now they probably will, they have been installed in most other European countries as well as Australia, USA to name a few. But and it’s a big but, this program is driven by the government not the suppliers.

We all have strict targets to meet each year starting at least 2yrs ago which Ofgem and the government energy dept measure us on and have the power to issue fines if we don’t hit a target. We have to prove that we’ve done everything possible to contact a customer, arrange the appointment and they even tell us what to put in the letters. The plan is that they will be rolled out by suppliers to all domestic and small business customers, you don’t have to ask for one... you can opt out though if you wish.

I would personally have a smart meter as soon as the next generation is out..the only reason it’s been delayed is due to the main data centre, appointed by the government, not being ready on time...suppliers are all ready. They are safe and have the highest security protocol in the UK, designed by the bods at GCHQ and the same as what is used at airports so hackers would have quite a job to switch off Mr Bloggs. The reason I’d wait btw is only because I like the newest things, there’s nothing wrong with what’s out there now but it’s like having an iPhone 4 or X.

One last point, this is costing suppliers millions, literally it’s eye watering what we’re spending on doing this and all the hoops to jump through and reporting to the government every week etc. We will benefit in that we’ll be able to bill customers more accurately and they will hopefully pay, but the customer will see the most benefits. So the fact that we’re having to spend millions on something that we didn’t want to do in first place and customers hate us even more for it, is not great. We probably won’t see any return for at least 10-15 yrs from this project and any of you who run a business will know that’s not ideal. We’d have much rather invested this money in a new system or something..

Don’t get me wrong, energy suppliers aren’t perfect and I’ve been on the receiving end of bad treatment, but in this case I’d say don’t refuse a smart meter cos you don’t trust the energy companies, they really will be good for you and I can’t wait to get mine