Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports
Florida Escapes
Unread 21 Jul 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Dinner - Chefs de France (EPCOT France)

This was a first time for us having heard/read good things. First up, the theming is perfect for the original World Showcase concept (pre Frozen etc.). It really does look like a French brasserie just with American service style service. In the attached chart our expectation was clearly set for a Posh Soiree although technically it met the criteria of a French Picnic

Another great server. We started by ordering drinks and appetisers. DD on Apple juice then a glass of champagne for DW and for me a rushed, panicky choice of a French martini.
EPCOT t-shirt Challenge 2/22

French Martini

The champagne was predictably excellent. Deluxe I guess comes into its own when you can get a quality drink like this included and only having one included in the deal reduces the temptation to have more or get a bottle. Mine was a poor choice, a nice enough cocktail with pineapple juice and a pleasingly sour citrus foam on top but I should have gone with my first thought of the best glass of red I could see on the list.

We also got a paper bag of some very nice rustic style French bread with salty butter. This disappeared.

I mentioned that we ordered starters at the same time as the drinks. Strategy here is I think fairly well known, basically its to beat the Disney table turnaround hustle by not ordering your main until the starter arrives. It worked a treat tonight in preventing us being Bonefished with the main course while still eating the starter If the server insists you order the main just say you havent decided yet and they should take the starter order

As her starter DW ordered the cheese plate (Plateau de fromages de France (Cheese Board) - Imported cheese board with raisin and walnut bread)..
EPCOT t-shirt Challenge 3/22

Im not sure the waiter explained the cheeses but this came with Port Salut, a blue cheese, a soft goats cheese, brie and a hard cheese that may have been gruyeres. Also served with grapes and walnuts. Very good, she ate about half and the rest was boxed up for the room (there will be a lot of this going on). We didnt try the raisin bread because DW wont eat raisins and I had a job of work on with the French Onion Soup.

This is one of my favourite soups, done well can be divine. This was good, the broth was done right and my only complaint is that there was so much bread and cheese on the top that the soup was hard to dredge out. I only like to eat a little of the top stuff and there must have been a pound of bread and cheese which is way too much for the starter of a 3 course meal. Picked the soup out and left most of the rest but a good start anyway.

DD surprised us by ordering Tartare de saumon legerement fume, sauce moutarde - Tartare of raw salmon lightly smoked with cucumber Dill, honey mustard sauce and a homemade brioche bun. The waiter likewise wore a worried look when he put it down in front of her, think he was convinced it was going back for a portion of nuggets
They grow up so fast!

She did very well here, enjoying it and eating almost the whole dish. At the moment were re-assessing our understanding of what DD will eat on a daily basis!

As the starters came we ordered the mains. I selected Boeuf Bourguignon, linguine - Beef braised in Cabernet with baby onions and carrots, served with linguine pasta.
This was a lot nicer than it looks. I really should buy a camera

It may not be photogenic, at least not at my skill level but this was wonderful. Beef nice and tender, the richest of red wine sauces that I could have used a pint of (in fact if you have this dish try to get an extra jug of the sauce on the side). Onions and carrots were nice too, I ate all of the bits of the dish and a little of the linguine which was mainly there I think to counterbalance the richness of the casserole. Really good dish!

DW ordered the fillet (Filet de boeuf grill (Grilled Tenderloin of Beef) - with green peppercorn sauce, original potato gratin of Savoy and green beans). This came very rare which she enjoyed and a lot of it again went back to the room in a doggy bag. She subbed the gratin for mash and also had the green beans. Again no complaints here.

Our food adventurer DD chose Canard aux cerises (Duck Breast with Cherries) - Duck breast and leg confit with cherries, sweet potato puree and patty pan squash.

She lapped this up too, preferring the breast slices to the leg confit (which was too much like chicken leg). After this DD and I had room for dessert and we ordered Cygne au chocolat - Swan cream puff filled with chocolate mousse, chocolate sauce, and chocolate ice cream (DD) and Tarte aux Pommes - Apple Tart with Almond Cream, Caramel Sauce, and Vanilla Ice Cream (me). Both were enjoyed, mine was particularly good. Im sure there was some calvados in there too, had to stop myself of the way through as starting to feel uncomfortable and DD struggled to walk home too. Our helpful server was also happy to let DW have an espresso as her DxDDP dessert which didnt do his tip any harm.

Great meal this one, wed recommend CDF to anyone and with DDs newly expanded choices, are considering sneaking Monsieur Paul onto the restaurant list if we can. Thats it for Day 3, tomorrows plan is lunch at Be Our Guest/Spice Road Table and dinner at the Boathouse

Edited at 09:23 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Californivacation
Unread 21 Jul 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
Imagineer

That looks really good. I love a good french onion soup so would have that, followed by the braised beef and the cheese for afters .

Kudos to your DD for trying the salmon, mine would have run a mile from that and I would have probably given it the nearest cat.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Planning's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I've read a few good things about Chef de France recently. Those puddings look divine.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
Imagineer

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Great meal.

If DD liked the duck there the one at Hollywood Brown Derby comes highly recommended by my 10 year old culinary expert 😂
Unread 21 Jul 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
VIP Dibber

That all looks lovely! Well done to DD ... my DD would probably have a total drama llama fit at that food x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
18 Nights POR 1 Night BWV
Unread 21 Jul 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes, I agree, Chefs is staying as my choice for my birthday meal 😀. Looks really good, so much choice, I can't decide what I want to eat.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where shall we go next?
Unread 21 Jul 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
That looks really good. I love a good french onion soup so would have that, followed by the braised beef and the cheese for afters .

Kudos to your DD for trying the salmon, mine would have run a mile from that and I would have probably given it the nearest cat.
You'd enjoy that meal I'm sure. I need photography tips from you, can't get anything to look decent in these dark restaurants in the evening! DD is amazing us with this, presumably we can get her onto sushi now

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
I've read a few good things about Chef de France recently. Those puddings look divine.
They were magnifique and the creme brulee is also supposed to be excellent

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Great meal.

If DD liked the duck there the one at Hollywood Brown Derby comes highly recommended by my 10 year old culinary expert 😂
I'd go back to Brown Derby happily but it was blocked by the other two who didn't enjoy it last time. Will have to try to sell the duck dish next time I want to convince them to go. Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
That all looks lovely! Well done to DD ... my DD would probably have a total drama llama fit at that food x
We still have the odd moment of food regression but serious progress since she started secondary school

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Yes, I agree, Chefs is staying as my choice for my birthday meal 😀. Looks really good, so much choice, I can't decide what I want to eat.
Creme Brulee also supposed to be good. In general the French classics (so the bourgignon, onion soup etc.) were done superbly so if you like those sort of dishes it's a good place to start.
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Californivacation
Unread 21 Jul 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
- MK Morning & Gastons
- Adventures of DW

This morning for me was about DD and I rope-dropping Magic Kingdom EMH while DW hopefully got some sunbathing in. We hit the park on time and fitted in Thunder Mountain, Splash, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Carousel of Progress, PeopleMover, Barnstormer, Pooh and Little Mermaid all before 11:30 so a productive session.

Midway through we stopped for a quiet snack credit breakfast at Gastons Tavern, four Snacks bought us this:
Le Fous Brew and Hummus with Dips (DD)
Coffee and Cinnamon Roll (me)

We havent eaten in Gastons before and this was all new. DD loved Le Fous, not a surprise given how much apple juice she gets through. I liked the taste but with the hot coffee the ice was killing my teeth! The hummus was apparently ok but the dips were just bits of pretzel and the whole thing was completely pre-packaged and heavily refrigerated which detracted from it.

I didnt ask for my cinnamon roll with extra icing, youll have to wait for 50 Shades Beiger to appreciate why This was really good, big and delicious with just enough warmth. No difficulty finishing one of these although having approached it hungry noticeable that it made me hungry again way too quickly, it's just sugar.

This breakfast came to 4 snack credits. Easy to use them like this. I could have paid for the coffee or the hummus OOP but Id rather we use more credits up first.

Back at the hotel, DWs breakfast was in two parts, first she apparently polished off last nights steak dinner in bed at 4am (please dont ask if it was heated up or if she had cutlery!). Secondly she continued a run of poor snack credit purchases (after Doritos and a chocolate cupcake on Friday) with a toasted bagel at the Yacht Club Marketplace. She didnt really like this but then DW doesnt like bagels so again, dont ask
Caption Competition No.1. And I dont know why its on two plates either

Bit of a flying update, lunch to follow later tonight!
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 03:08 AM.
Californivacation