Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports
Unread 24 Jul 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Bad laughing at the Boba Ball memes. I really enjoyed the night blossom drink but I got a mixture of balls which was fab...I nearly choked on them a few times so had to be careful! Thankfully none were shot at me😮
I love a Napoleon, I must try them with the Jamesons & chips combo next time...not that the chips looked good, mine were great when the fryer was cleaned in June!
I'm hoping to complete the saga of Boba's quest to get his balls back later. No idea where it will go next but we're back at AK on Sunday so will try to wrap it up then Actually the balls are surprisingly delicious, I was expecting to hate them.
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 08:58 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Californivacation
Unread 24 Jul 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Planning's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Love AK, it's tough to be a bug is good fun and the lion king show is always spectacular.

You can't go wrong with a selection of desserts from the French patisserie, you may have guessed I have a sweet tooth 😃
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 18, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Dinner - Tiffins (Animal Kingdom, Discovery Island)

6pm was our ADR for Tiffins, the signature restaurant in AK. We started with a sit down in Nomad Lounge. DW stayed there for a good hour and had a pot of tea while she sorted some admin out

DD and I had gone off to ride Bug so I didn't have a drink there but what a lovely bar. The tea took 45 minutes from sitting to drinking so the advertised service problems are valid but don't let it worry you, its the most relaxing place in the park by a mile with good indoor and outdoor seating and great theming. They do beer and wine flight too what's not to like.

We were seated on time for our ADR, the restaurant is unusual in that it has 3 completely separate dining rooms linked BT cast member only doorways. Tiffins features around the walls mementoes of the travelling that head imagineer Joe Rohde and team made while researching for the park. Great but hard to see as there were full tables round most of the walls.

Our drinks were a Tusker lager for me (always liked this one and rarely get a chance to drink) and J&DC for DW / AJ for DD. Flight were not available with DDP even though individual glasses of wine and cocktails at higher prices were. Possibly this is to minimise workload at the understaffed Nomad Lounge bar which provides them.

Tusker was as nice as I remember (do they make it with rice or am I making that up?) and the apple juice was apparently the nicest ever (I tried and it was good, didn't have the heart to tell DD it tasted like a non-alcoholic version of a good cider )

Starters we decided to share and order the 3 different plates: charcuterie, cheese and the signature breads.

The first two of these were great. Too much to list but included great goats cheese, honeycomb and sweet sticky crackers, shredded ham, garlicky sausage etc. Only the breads were a little disappointing, poppadoms in there but the dips were meh (the chefs spicy one being easily the best), the dark bread was OK but the paratha was chilled and not right at all.

I ate too much if this, the girls wisely held back. Entrees were the ribeye for both of them with the sauce as usual on the side.
Wagyu Snake River Farms Ribeye Fillet, Confit of new potatoes, sherry and bacon vinaigrette, variety of cauliflowers, Amarula cream

They loved this. The beef was not as tender as the previous night's but had more flavour which fits with the cuts served. DD ate more or less the whole plate, the emulsion was especially great. DW saved a chunk of the steak for a rainy day, we asked for foil and used a ziploc sandwich bag too as didn't fancy the animals all following us on the safari afterwards!

I ordered ramen:
Ramen kamo, Duck confit, poached egg, spicy coconut broth, Alba mushrooms, cashew nuts and lime

By no means an expert on ramen but it was great, noodles with the spicy coconut soup/base, egg, duck cooked beautifully, Asian spices, peppers, cashews, different veggies there was a lot going on. Every mouthful was an adventure! I couldn't get beyond half way after the starter plates and a beer but this was a good dish.

Dessert-wise DD didn't fancy the adult choices so for the first time went to a kids menu and had a chocolate brownie.

It disappeared in seconds and then she started trying ours. I had the chocolate ganache, a long and incredibly rich slab of chocolate with banana, raspberry coulis, cream etc.

It also had these little dark crispy wafers on top that I could have eaten a whole bowl of. Good but way too rich, DD helped a bit but between us we couldn't eat half.
DW had gone for the dessert sampler, a trio which was beautifully presented.

These were small portions of the ganache plus the Amarula whipped cheesecake (blitzed/deconstructed) and a tapioca cream passion fruit thing that I thought was ok but no-one else would touch (I and wouldn't want a whole portion of it either).

The dessert menu here isn't great as far as I'm concerned, would rather see something like a sweet Indian dessert added and the chocolate option being made more accessible (none of the 3 of us could completely take it)

The bill came to $237

Good meal but not in anyone's top 3 even at this stage of the holiday and a couple of one credit places (Chefs, Spice Road) are rated higher among the Disney places. Fantastic AK afternoon though and definitely have a sit down in Nomad Lounge.
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Californivacation
Unread 24 Jul 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

I really need to try a napoleon next year, its been on my to eat list for ages!

Im a big Star Wars fan so loving the memes

The night blossom sure is a pretty looking drink.

That ramen from Tiffins sounds delicious 😍

Edited at 09:18 PM.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
3rd stay at POFQ!
Unread 24 Jul 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
Imagineer

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

What no lobster popcorn soup at Tiffins. Now they have removed that Tiffins is scrubbed from my list and will never be mentioned again in this house.
Unread 24 Jul 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Wow caught up again. Cali brunch just doesnt appeal at all, and youve helped to put it to bed once and for all. Id still like to try dinner though .
Some expensive meals there , some of the dishes looked great but nothing really stands out of the menus for us for the cost as we pay oop. Out if interest would you eat here normally or think the food is worth the price if not on ddp?
Will you be adding it all up to see if you got full value ? How many snacks credits have you left over so far. Sorry for all the questions x
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yacht club, Bahama Bay , Poly :)
Unread 24 Jul 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
I really need to try a napoleon next year, its been on my to eat list for ages!

Im a big Star Wars fan so loving the memes

The night blossom sure is a pretty looking drink.

That ramen from Tiffins sounds delicious 😍
The Night Blossom was great, I wasn't expecting to like it but really nice and just enough if you share. Tiffins ramen was lovely, never knew what you'd get next and would consider having that again if we were to return.

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
What no lobster popcorn soup at Tiffins. Now they have removed that Tiffins is scrubbed from my list and will never be mentioned again in this house.
Tell me about it, that was the most nailed on of all choices I really want to try lobster popcorn Wonder where else does it! Have you managed to kill off the extra holiday appetite yet? I always hate that part about coming back!

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Wow caught up again. Cali brunch just doesnt appeal at all, and youve helped to put it to bed once and for all. Id still like to try dinner though .
Some expensive meals there , some of the dishes looked great but nothing really stands out of the menus for us for the cost as we pay oop. Out if interest would you eat here normally or think the food is worth the price if not on ddp?
Will you be adding it all up to see if you got full value ? How many snacks credits have you left over so far. Sorry for all the questions x
There were some fabulous dishes at Monsieur Paul especially and we've had some very good beef. We would only normally eat at these sort of places occasionally and TBH not at those prices no (but we do spend way too much eating out as you can probably guess ). Without DDP I'd be scouring reviews for the best off property places and expecting to pay half the Disney amount for something at least as good while mixing it up with stuff from all price ranges like on our offsite days.

To be fair to the Disney restaurants it's exactly the same equation as the hotels. Yacht Club is a great Disney hotel but by any other measure it's a decent 4 star at a price that would get you something jaw dropping almost anywhere else in the world!

Yes will add it all up at the end, I think we already know that it's not worth the money but will run the numbers to see how much more we've spent than we needed to. 42 snacks left we were on track with using them till today but these are not a worry because we can burn them very quickly. DD is also nagging me to keep loads back so that she can take a packaged snack home from each World Showcase country and then she'll probably taste them all with her friends (maybe even vlog it )

Thanks all for following Will post this morning (Day...7 I think it is) later on

Edited at 10:24 PM.
Californivacation
Unread 24 Jul 18, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
Imagineer

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Oh CMG its so hard to stop eating. Its supposed to be my first good day and Im sitting here starving! No disrespect but I need to stop reading your food report when Im trying not to eat😂
Ive never seen that soup elsewhere. Such a shame as it was definitely one of the best things on the menu.
Orlando Attractions