Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 25 Jul 18, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariaherself
VIP Dibber

Wow Homecomin looks amazing, not sure about the mash and burger option though. It’s one of the meals we are both looking forward too 😋
Mariaherself is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Now homecomin is on our list for next time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a poor review . Those braised short ribs are perfect , ( not sure $30 perfect though ) that’s my type of food and the puddings I’d have tried the lot .you can never eat too many puddings really on holiday .
Just to help me budget , would you have had a starter if oop or was the food plentiful without the starter. I’m going to have to sit and study this menu I think .
Oh and just for clarification is not a bun or bap it’s a breadcake
Yes I got a bit of a shock when I realised the difference between the beef and the other mains. If I was going back and OOP I'd budget for 2 courses as doing 3 full justice is almost impossible. I would probably order all 3 courses but split starters and desserts between 2-3 people and that should with a main each still leave everyone completely stuffed. I'm not having it as breadcake though

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
In Scotland it’s a roll.

This caused ds great confusion in Cowfish when he wanted sushi and didn’t order it as he thought a shrimp roll was a bread roll with prawns on it.

Homecoming looks good. That hummingbird cake sounds nice as does your starter.
lol at the DS story, one to remind him of when he's an adult. The starter board and the hummingbird cake were both amazing and easily shareable as I mention above

Originally Posted by Connies Mummy View Post
The homecoming food looks delicious right up my street and I love candied pecans, resisted the urge to make further comments about tasty nuts as it seems your DD is reading this, although my DD would have a good snigger about anything mentioning nuts!

Still my money for brighter than the president is on your DDs Cali grill selection!
Yes we'll have no smut or hidden innuendo in this thread Nuts gags completely allowed

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I agree about Tiffins’ dessert menu being a bit lacklustre, everything is fabulous so It lets it down quite a bit. Not that dessert is ever high on my radar in Disney.

I gasped when I saw your Trail’s End breakfast plate (I am very prone to drama), I can’t believe they have changed to those rubbish skinny sausages, they used to serve nice fat real ones.

Please try and make it to Wilderness Lodge for a visit, it is my favourite resort, the lobby is just wonderful. If you decide to make any further tweaks to your dining line-up I can highly recommend Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Café is probably my favourite lunch spot of all. I’ve always fancied WCC breakfast too but it’s just never worked out for us.

I’m glad you enjoyed Homecomin’, I was actually quite nervous eating there after all of the hype. It was nice to see some entrees other than the fried chicken too.

I’m with Rescuer, it’s a roll!
I'm finding it impossible to respond to the sausage comment without breaking the innuendo rule (see comment above). Will try to pop into the Wilderness Lodge although we didn't make it tiday, shopping diversion instead I think the ADRs are more or less locked in now, would love to try the two you mention and probably stay there too one day. I'm Team Roll too although bun is very acceptable given the contents

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Definitely a bun!
Admiral Snackbar is still insisting on bap but I have noticed he has a tendency to favour words that rhyme with trap eek I just spotted, 5 days now

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post

Bun! Homecomin’ looks so good, I’m looking forward to trying it.
The buns are on a roll! Homecomin' is a must do for me now and i want pimento cheese somewhere else, didn't really know what it was before

Originally Posted by DisneyPCLI View Post
Bun for me as well
That hummingbird cake sounds lush
I was originally going to go for their signature chicken but I think you’ve changed my mind with your bbq pork bun!
My one suggestion would actually be to avoid the chicken. It looks impressive but from what we tasted it really isn't all that. The coating is ok and its big but you can get that dish cheaper in many places. The other Southern food, barbeque, comfort food etc. is well worth a look. Sauce on that bun is very sweet, if I went again I'd probably try to switch the chips for something and consider getting the chopped pork plate which comes with a cheddar biscuit
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 08:59 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I could lower myself to calling it a nap but that would result in many innuendos in my household.

P.S. I bought Campari today, fully intend to try out a home grown version before the holiday.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by 2019DisneyEvans View Post
It’s a cob here on the Lincs/Notts border. Homecomin’ has been on and off my list a few times. Currently off, replaced with Raglan Road, but I may add it back again...
Not tried Raglan Road but a lot of people swear by it, could you fit both in

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
We are going to Homecomin' for the first time in December, so am glad you had a decent meal, really enjoying your report, you obviously enjoy posting and it's always good to get another view on a restaurant experience. I say experience as sometimes it is more than just the food that makes the meal.

Could it be a breadcake?
Yes, love writing in general and had just replaced the reading I'd normally do on holiday. All about the overall experience which is where Disney restaurants can add something extra That's the second mention of breadcake which was a new one on me, is it a Yorkshire term?

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Just caught up again, shame about the poor service there's no excuse for that. Some great looking dishes you've eaten though.
It's been a great food adventure so far, I am now looking forward to it ending in a few days though the Disney part obviously, it will be nice to only eat when hungry in Universal!

Originally Posted by JanetteParker View Post
Just joining - and looking forward to Teppan Edo - my favourite by far this year, although we haven't eaten at many 'posh' places - Yachtsman being the only posh one - and we enjoyed Teppan Edo far more It's a cob here in Nottingham - and an ice lolly is a sucker - and that's why we don't eat in the posh places
Teppan Edo up in a moment we're not posh don't worry we just pretend when the servers are looking, sucker is a new one though

Originally Posted by GroovyYvee View Post
It's a roll in the South and the East! 😄
Hoping to try Homecomin' now - the food looks great!
Thanks again for the info, it's really helpful.
No problem fellow member of Team Roll, thanks for reading and glad you find it useful. I might post the serious parts of the report separately, it would only be two pages

Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
We had a poor server at trails end 😐 . Loving this , particularly your wifes choices 😂 love her!
Glad it's not just me and great that you're enjoying. I look forward to my wife reading your comment and mentioning it to me all evening

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Hmm. This is a difficult one. I’d put cheese or cold meat on a roll. A bap is bigger than a roll and a bun so it can’t be that. You put a burger on a bun, so then it’s a bun cos it’s hot meat. So it’s a bun.
I think this is the definitive answer

Originally Posted by Mariaherself View Post
Wow Homecomin looks amazing, not sure about the mash and burger option though. It’s one of the meals we are both looking forward too 😋
Loved it and hope it's grest for you too Mash and Burger is like the worst mismatched cop duo ever
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I could lower myself to calling it a nap but that would result in many innuendos in my household.

P.S. I bought Campari today, fully intend to try out a home grown version before the holiday.
nice nap I don't get it And we've finally had a couple of decent negronis today, look out for when I update with Morimoto. Just remember how strong they are when you make the home versions home measures x3 neat ingredients it won't take many of those

Edited at 09:18 PM.
Old 25 Jul 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Dinner - Teppan Edo (EPCOT Japan)

The Japan pavilion is a big favourite of DD and I and she was particularly excited about eating there, DW and I have been to the QS - Katsura Grill before and would recommend that as one of the best, quiet counter service places around World Showcase.

It’s a bit of a procedure getting into Teppan Edo, you check in downstairs by Mitsukoshi. Not sure why it’s down there, we saw Americans trying to order beer from the hostesses there (it looks nothing like a bar ) maybe they try to control balcony access for the IllumiNations viewing later. Anyway you get given a buzzer and wait for it, ours took about 10 minutes and then it’s upstairs for a second short wait where you meet your fellow diners. It’s 8 to a table in a 2/4/2 formation where the two’s are at the end of the grill table nearest to the server. Me and DD sat at one end and left DW as the buffer for being sociable next to the other diners

Hibachi cooking table in action

Drinks order was the usual for DD, champagne for DW and sake for me. According to our server only one of the many sake choices was allowed on the DDP (I wanted to try the sparkling but no) although I asked and was able to get a cold one rather than the hot sake that’s offered on the menu.
EPCOT t-shirt challenge 11/22 Half way!

As starters we chose Edamame (me), ribs (DD) and tempura (DW) with the intention of all trying each one. You also get a little bowl of salad with some sort of soy dressing.

Ribs, way too zoomed in/much nicer than they look

I love edamame. Cold soy beans may not sound appetising but they’re a great snack to sit there and a pop with a drink while you watch the chef at work (and the cooking is all part of the show). They look like cold green beans and you pop them out, eating the inner part. I thought delicious but the other two didn’t like them so… The ribs were lovely, no sauce and they don’t photo well but they were super tender rather than dry, pork ribs with loads of meat and despite the menu claim there is no strong ginger taste to them (at least not to ours, DD doesn’t like ginger and ate 2 of the 3). The tempura was also decent and probably a relatively safe choice.

Whichever main you go for you start with a plate of noodles and vegetables. It’s best to eat these straight away because those big noodles go gummy when they’re cold but it does mean you tend to eat your meal in installments.

Our main course choices were the scallops (DW), beef julienne (DD) and nihonbashi - beef and chicken for me. Pictures in that order:

The scallops were a clear winner here. Golden on the outside and cooked perfectly inside and the portion was 8 full sized scallops that I thought was extremely generous. I had 3 of them, as many as DW but we still left two as she had overdone it on the noodle course which is definitely a learning! Beef julienne and beef/chicken options were both solid too. You also get a bowl of plain rice with the meat plus a sauce bowl with ginger and yumyum (Big Mac’ish) sauces to use as dips. We didn’t really go for these as everything was already tasty but they were okay.

No dessert here, all stuffed temporarily at least and the options don’t look particularly appealing.

The meal came to $174 so even without desserts it’s pricey and should represent good value for those trying to maximise a DDP credit. Would I eat here again - yes. Would I pay OOP no I’d go to one of the other hibachi restaurants in Orlando for a lot less money and come to EPCOT to enjoy the Japan pavilion. You’re also tucked away inside at Teppan Edo so you wouldn’t even know that there’s a firework show going on outside (Tokyo Dining has windows).

Gotta run!
Old 25 Jul 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

This all looks really good ... stalker alert again we go Teppan edo but in a couple of days ... we are Hollywood Brown derby today 😊

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Was looking forward to the Teppan Edo review, its one of the places I'd really like to eat! I like that they give you fried noodles instead of fried rice like other teppanyaki places I've been to.
I swear the reason teppanyaki is so filling is the fact they cook everything in a mountain of butter.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

More great looking food. We had Teppen Edo down as my birthday meal in October. We changed it (a few times 😀 ) eventually to Chef de France. Even though the food is obviously very good, we felt the way they serve the noodles first, then the meat was not ideal. DD doesn't like rice so it would be like eating seperate dishes instead of a meal we feel. Pleased you enjoyed it though.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post

Yes, love writing in general and had just replaced the reading I'd normally do on holiday. All about the overall experience which is where Disney restaurants can add something extra That's the second mention of breadcake which was a new one on me, is it a Yorkshire term
It must be, how did you know also maybe teacake, who doesn't enjoy a buttered toasted teacake...
Disney Planning is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List