Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 26 Jul 18, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The Epcot food challenge is going well. I think you may actually complete it. Not much doing on the buffet challenge though...I think you need to rectify that!

Mexy02 Kobe Steakhouse is an offsite version of Teppan Edo, it is an identical set up with 8 seats at each chef station. It's not as uncomfortable as you might think. We've eaten at both TE and Kobe. We had an experience where we didn't talk at all to the other family apart from hello and goodbye and one where we chatted quite a bit. The only difference is Kobe is cheaper than TE. I've just looked up our prices at Kobe for last summer. Chicken and steak was the most expensive at $26, tuna was $23, sirloin steak $22 and kids steak $10. I'm not trying to put people off eating at TE and would happily go back, I think we just have to accept part of the price we pay for onsite dining is for the convenience. If you're staying on I drive then Kobe is a great choice but if not then driving out there and back would take up a fair chunk of your evening.

I hope that was helpful.
Lovely thank You , rices sounds great , these five of us so would probably get a small family or couple . We Wouldnt want to be split up though .

Cmg , Ikea sell bags of Swedish fish . They are Devine .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I was just about to post this - girl at work brought some in the other day! From ikea and I’m sure they were different flavours!
Old 26 Jul 18, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Would be interested to see how you are going on using all your credits. Is the spreadsheet working?
Disney Planning is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes will do, overdue an update, catching up this afternoon with yesterday and today's breakfast
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Steffib View Post
best food report I’ve ever read! thankyou for putting the time in to do it. It’s so funny and informative..
Aw thank you, nice comments like this are all the encouragement I need

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The Epcot food challenge is going well. I think you may actually complete it. Not much doing on the buffet challenge though...I think you need to rectify that!
Agreed, although the last few EPCOT items may proved tricky, we lost some ground with the Biergarten ADR. We need to have a trump-off at a buffet maybe Cape May is the time

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
We have planned Katsura grill as we liked the look of the menu there. Of course, Teppen Edo is superior as it is freshly cooked and reviews are amazing but it is the separate portions that put us off. Still may try it one trip though 😊
Have a great day.
Thats sounds like a plan, TE is also rather pricey and I always recommend Katsura

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Cmg , Ikea sell bags of Swedish fish . They are Devine .
thanks, bet they're not $5 either!

Originally Posted by DisneyPCLI View Post
I was just about to post this - girl at work brought some in the other day! From ikea and I’m sure they were different flavours!
Ooh I'd like to try flavoured ones, the ones we got are all red and a generic sweet fruity flavour - interested if they come in flavours

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
Would be interested to see how you are going on using all your credits. Is the spreadsheet working?
As of now (early pm of Disney day 7/11) I reckon we're on 30 snack credits exactly half way and 49/90 TS credits eaten. The spreadsheet has worked well in tracking that we don't get behind on the TS usage so for example I've used it to work out that we could upgrade one of DW's solo lunches to a signature to use up what would otherwise be a spare.

Need to speed up snack credit use. DD and I have some park mornings planned and those tend to burn them up so we're only a few behind
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Lunch - Morimoto Asia (Disney Springs)

Lunch on Day 8 was at Morimoto Asia in DS. One credit lunch and two for dinner. This trip also gave us the opportunity to solve the riddle of how to claim your $200 voucher. It's an awful practice IMO making people travel to one specific shop in a distant mall to collect the equivalent of a cruise line shipboard credit if that is indeed the only way.

Anyway, Morimoto Asia is a large, very modern and stylish restaurant serving pan-Asian cuisine under the name of one of TV's Iron Chefs. It’s an open kitchen and we had a great view of this along with some tasty looking duck.
And they appear to have invented Forpsticks. Greatest cutlery item ever!

Drinks DW and I finally got decent negronis and DD went for Apple juice. You know the negroni will be good when they come back to check which gin you’d prefer in it. Morimoto has a full bar.

Onto starters and we chose 3 to share. They were all huge, 1-2 starters would have done us. Especially good were the Crispy Popcorn Shrimp Tempura.

Not lobster popcorn soup but pretty good!

These were fabulous. Loads of them, crispy and sticky in a sauce that was like Franks red hot (buffalo wing sauce) had a baby with one of the mayonnaise family. Everyone loved these. We also went for a portion of the chicken wings (spicy garlic soy sauce) and Kakuni Pork Bao buns from the Dim Sum menu (buns - definitely not breadcakes or baps in this case )

These were ok but not as great as the shrimp. Pork buns were tasty but very fatty, DD and I both cut off the big line of fat you can see visible at the front and without that the meat to bun ratio was out. If you’re used to the standard char sui pork buns these are not the same, beautifully rendered fat but fatty and with a spicy mayo rather than a bbq type sauce. The wings were crispy and cooked amazingly well but lacked a bit of zing to the flavour vs what was described. All still pretty decent though.

Onto mains, DW went for a dish of Seafood Crispy Shanghai Noodles (jumbo shrimp, scallop, calamari, seasonal greens, garlic, shio dare sauce)

This came with the noodles completely dry and we had to clarify if this is how it was supposed to come. The server then took it back, saying that he’s noticed it didn’t have the usual amount of broth when he picked it up (don’t serve it then ). He went back for more broth which allowed DW to stir the noodles into it and soften them in the way intended. She thought this was nice and delicate, to me it was bland - had the slight air of a drunk pot noodle when you’ve spilt most of the flavour sachet on the floor. It certainly featured some rare and exotic sea creatures. Anyway she hardly ate any of it, for me it was a miss.

With two diners ordering together you can share a whole duck
Morimoto Peking duck (for two) (carved house-roasted whole duck, served with steamed flour pancakes, apricot sweet chili, hoisin miso and choice of steamed white or brown rice)

What a gorgeous looking platter! It’s very tasty duck and lots of it but served more in the Asian style I’d assume. The meat is slices rather than shredded with a tower of the other different cuts in the middle (underneath the cucumber etc. is a big pile of meat). All coated in crispy skin then a thick layer of rendered fat. Served with thicker pancakes than you’d get in the UK plus cucumber, spring onion, hoi sin and an apricot and chili sauce. In the pancakes I really enjoyed the classic combination with the hoi sin. The Apricot sauce was amazing with the duck on its own but not powerful enough to shine in one of the pancakes.

I liked this dish, DD wasn’t so keen as it was less familiar than her usual favourite duck dish. She did eat one pancake, I had a couple and then ate a lot more of the duck with the apricot. Note that this is a very, very fatty dish I cut a load of it off and the fat did start to get overwhelming after a while. Good but not as great in the eating as it is easy on the eye IMHO.

Desserts we ordered the following:
Me, Chocolate Cream & Crunch (oreo tempura, mandarin orange jelly,dark chocolate gelato, hazelnut chocolate crunchies)

DD, Churro Fondue (housemade churros, nutella, vanilla cream)

DW, Lemon Sorbet

The chocolate cream was great, a gorgeous milk chocolate mousse under a thin layer of orange jelly with crispy bits on top. The dark ice cream was too dark in the main and the oreo tempura was surprisingly an abomination, like someone hid a biscuit inside a sweet and sour pork ball

DD asked for a second tube of nutella to squeeze over the churros which she loved. The DW sorbet tasted exceptional, incredible lemony and fresh

At this point DW and DD left to go and defeat Captain Hook and claim our $200 voucher and of course with me flying solo service then declined! The server declared that the machine wasn’t working and I had to give him my magic band. The till was only just behind us so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and just kept a close eye on it. He then brought back a receipt with no total on it asking me to sign. I asked for one with the total and he brought me back a different receipt with a total of $0 but asking me to sign for the tip amount. Er you are aware that 18-20% of zero is zero? Or that I'm not going to sign for a % of an unspecified amount He then asked me for my magic band again and he seemed to ask for my PIN! At which point I said no chance fella and followed him up to the till to watch everything he was doing. He then produced a receipt with the total on it, $194.

Was the whole pantomime just so that I signed for a tip amount before I saw the total Why did he seem to ask for my PIN? Exactly what was going on? I don’t know but I crossed all the tip boxes out on the copy I signed, took photos of everything and left a cash tip. A suspicious end to a good meal!

Edited at 09:57 PM.
Old 26 Jul 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Dinner - Hoop de doo Revue (Fort Wilderness)

An early evening showing of Hoop de doo Revue covered dinner today. The plan was to park at the Magic Kingdom, hit this 2 credit p/person experience and then do the evening EMH at MK afterwards. We’d done this last time and enjoyed, DD was insistent on returning

Our seats were scarily close to the front, front row corner in fact and I immediately regretted my lime green t-shirt. Subsequently realised that the men on these two front row corner tables are the default targets for attentions of the leading ladies during the musical numbers (I got picked on 3 times during the show ).
Not the table for the shy types

Lots of choice of drinks, DD the usual (before later having chocolate milk). I had a diet coke this time - caffeine for the evening ahead and DW was on sangria

The menu here has been the same for decades. Starter is cornbread, whipped butter and salad to see you through the first, mini-section of the show. This is all fine, the cornbread is very good, cakey and grainy but tasty. Salad it’s nice to see some vegetables, it’s dressed with a little cheese and small amount of a ranch or caesar type dressing.
The second corniest part of the show

Then it’s the main, buckets of fried chicken and ribs plus mash, cowboy beans - baked beans with pulled pork and some bbq flavours and sweetcorn.

This food was delicious. Last time our main tasted a little weary but this was clearly freshly cooked and great, chicken was better than DW had in her burger at Homecomin’ - really great and the ribs were excellent too. Very impressed with the food this time and I hadn’t been looking forward to it.

Onto the main part of the show. I thought I’d got away with being propositioned by one of the female leads a couple of times during one skit because DD and DW were away from the table but then the other one got me when they were back so there were witnesses unfortunately. The cast were almost all the same folks as when we last came 3 years so it’s clearly a long term gig. Thankfully we all avoided a trip to the stage! Dessert is a strawberry shortcake.

This is sweet but pretty good. Unfortunately DW not feeling well at this stage so the evening was cut short to a trip on Space Mountain and a lot of crammed in and tiring travel by boat, monorail, on foot etc. Great experience though, classic Disney entertainment with a large dose of Americana. I’ll have to look up the cost later as it’s all pre-paid. We had a great server too, very on the ball. Back to the room exhausted just before midnight.

Akershus breakfast in the morning.
Old 26 Jul 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

I was so hoping for an amazing review of Morimoto Asia. That popcorn shrimp looks good though. Staying at pofq I was looking more at Disney springs places and this was my top choice...
We’ve never done any of the dinner shows. I’m not sure if ds would cope with any hint of audience participation.
Old 26 Jul 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

What is it with these strange servers! I'm glad you refused, who knows what he was doing.

Did DW and DD not get any photos of the show participation? Could have given DW an extra point for that one x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

We too enjoyed the HDDR, we followed it with a carriage ride around FW. It is one place my DD wants to go back to and she's 18.

It's interesting to read about your credit use, and with you keeping tabs on it you can easily see if you can upgrade or use more one day. I think some servers think you are going to leave without tipping appropriately maybe? But it just gets my back up when they try and con a tip out of you!
Disney Planning is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List