Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports
Unread 29 Jul 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yummy yachtsman ... top lobster bisque in there... hope you have a good one we are off to Ohana... we are starving we went out with only magic bands today (my bid to travel light with phone only) to epcot and got there to find out the magic band system was (and still is) down ... I scraped about ten dollars from our pockets so we could get a nudel gratin to share from Germany before getting rained off... cant wait to see what you make of Yachtsman ... I have paddlefish envy I would love that but Eva wont go kids eh?

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
5 nights Universal 14 nights POR
Unread 29 Jul 18, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Your DWs choice of dark chocolate sounds like the kind of thing I would do... a guaranteed way of ensuring bars of chocolate that only I would touch, safe from children and husbands because they wont eat the dark stuff. I believe your DW to be a genius!
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Universal... finally!
Unread 29 Jul 18, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Except for the dark chocolate 🤢 thats a good choice of Ghirardelli bars your wife picked up!

Top sushi effort by your daughter!

Your burger from Sci-Fi sounds like my perfect burger so thats going back on the list. With fries though not that wheatberry salad, Im not a weirdo
Except for the dark chocolate it's what we asked her to get Oi about the wheatberry salad there was no way we were finishing even one portion of the chips so we were sharing those and I tried it in the interests of dining research

Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
Yummy yachtsman ... top lobster bisque in there... hope you have a good one we are off to Ohana... we are starving we went out with only magic bands today (my bid to travel light with phone only) to epcot and got there to find out the magic band system was (and still is) down ... I scraped about ten dollars from our pockets so we could get a nudel gratin to share from Germany before getting rained off... cant wait to see what you make of Yachtsman ... I have paddlefish envy I would love that but Eva wont go kids eh?
It was great, posting in a moment. Paddlefish they have a brunch that is less fishy, would that work? I got hit by the EPCOT thing too, no wallet with me either. It impacted on the German hot dog transaction for the t-shirt challenge Have a great rest of your holiday!

Originally Posted by Connies Mummy View Post
Your DWs choice of dark chocolate sounds like the kind of thing I would do... a guaranteed way of ensuring bars of chocolate that only I would touch, safe from children and husbands because they wont eat the dark stuff. I believe your DW to be a genius!
hmm maybe, she certainly thinks she is Not sure she likes toffee enough to eat it though but we'll see if it disappears!
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 02:52 AM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Californivacation
Unread 29 Jul 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
VIP Dibber

I think Nine Dragons is unfairly bashed, there was nothing wrong with our meal there, its just not really to my tastes. I think the lunch is fantastic value.

I say Narcoosees with a short O. Ive always wondered if I was saying it correctly because once a CM in Magic Kingdom asked where I was going for dinner and when I told her she looked at me like I had three heads. If I wasnt so lazy Id be jumping for joy that you loved the cheesecake, I think its the best dessert in Disney. Oh gosh now I am wondering why we arent going this year. I need to try the surf and turf.

I will let the sushi pass, due to the toil involved in making it. It sounds like maybe the real thing would have agreed with you more! Another thing that you could have tried as a snack credit if Food & Wine started earlier! Damn Disney and their inconsiderate timing.

My OH loves that Oreo shake at Sci-Fi, he talks about it all the time. I think they have the best burgers on-site so I am glad to see you enjoyed yours.

Paddlefish got a big thumbs up from me too! The picture of the crabs legs has me ruing that were not doing Cape May for dinner this year.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
French Quarter & Boardwalk
Unread 29 Jul 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Dinner - Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club Hotel)

Last nights dinner in my everlasting quest to catch up with our eating! We were at Yachtsman Steakhouse in the hotel. We had a quick drink at one of the hotels many dire bars (Ale and Compass Lounge rather than Marthas Vineyard/Graveyard), negronis and an apple juice for DW.

When we got there, the check in process for Yachtsman was like gods waiting room, great if you like being bossed around by pensioners Your table isnt ready yet. Go and sit on that bench over there. Apart from the quality of the food this restaurant is how I imagine it would be to live in a care home. We were put in a little side room that lacked the light of the main seating area which has the large glass windows onto the lake etc.

As our DDP drinks DD and I both went for red wine. We would have liked to have ordered a bottle for the first time in the holiday, my suggestion because the service looked like it would be slow. Anyway this isnt possible on the DDP without either having a bottle plus 2 glasses of wine (way too much for us with DD in tow) or giving up the DDP alcoholic drinks to a value of half the bottle of wine (not going to happen). So we stuck with the glasses and Disney missed out, dumb!

DD was advised to try a non alcoholic strawberry daiquiri, pictured above. She loved this and we might have to try to make this for her at home at some point. Bread came next and the onion brioche was just wonderful, DW and I fought over these and had to negotiate our claims over the one that went back in a take-out box! Our server meantime was lovely if a little fussy, DD passed on a starter leaving DW and I to order respectively:

The cheese tasting plate is for DW. This was equally as good as Narcoossee. I went for the French Onion soup with a request to greatly reduce the amount of bread and cheese in there. This worked well, I got lots of gorgeous soup without having to dredge it out of a swamp, in future Im going to try and always have it this way.

As a main course I ordered the filet mignon after agreeing with DW that we would share between this and the prime rib, in the end this didnt really happen. I wanted the special baked potato side but they were out so the server gave me a substitute regular jacket that was pretty hard and not great even with sour cream and butter provided My sauce also came on the side despite me not asking for this I think the DD and DW reputation has got around the hotel!
My steak looked unloved but tasted excellent

DD ordered a monstrous 16oz ribeye (Truffle Fries, Black Garlic Aoli, Point Reyes Blue Cheese Butter) of which she only ate the steak. The truffle fries were ok if a little overdone, in my experience these are usually awful but these ones did taste heavily of truffle and they arent scrimping on the most expensive ingredients, always a good sign. The steak was good of course, I am a bit worried DD will get iron poisoning from all this beef!

Then finally here is the DD prime rib which she ordered with mash and the sauces on the side.

Prime rib such a tender piece of steak this didnt disappoint albeit a lot of steak went back for the slider goblin (a character DD and I invented to explain the mysterious overnight disappearance of steak and bread rolls from the fridge in our room ). Onto desserts and while we probably shouldnt have done, we did. DW was the most restrained, she asked for and received a single scoop of strawberry sorbet.

I took the servers recommendation of the creme brulee (he claimed best brulee at WDW and he may well be right). This was lovely, the caramel much thicker than usual but very tasty cream

DD chose the Lexington Sundae (Salted Caramel and Buttered Popcorn Gelatos, Crumbled Brown Butter Cookies, Caramel, Whipped Cream, Toasted Honey Marshmallow). I would have gone for this if I hadnt eaten my whole steak. OMG this is incredible, a must order if you have a sweet tooth and come here! She attempted to eat the whole thing, failing gallantly then crawling upstairs with the rest of us.

The bill came to $249

Superb meal, boring, fashioned restaurant environment IMHO. It has that golf club/marina formal atmosphere that I can't stand even if the service is very good (albeit not particularly fast). It would be better to sit near the windows but they are not very flexible when you check in so its probably luck of the draw.
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 10:41 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Californivacation
Unread 29 Jul 18, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I think Nine Dragons is unfairly bashed, there was nothing wrong with our meal there, its just not really to my tastes. I think the lunch is fantastic value.

I say Narcoosees with a short O. Ive always wondered if I was saying it correctly because once a CM in Magic Kingdom asked where I was going for dinner and when I told her she looked at me like I had three heads. If I wasnt so lazy Id be jumping for joy that you loved the cheesecake, I think its the best dessert in Disney. Oh gosh now I am wondering why we arent going this year. I need to try the surf and turf.

I will let the sushi pass, due to the toil involved in making it. It sounds like maybe the real thing would have agreed with you more! Another thing that you could have tried as a snack credit if Food & Wine started earlier! Damn Disney and their inconsiderate timing.

My OH loves that Oreo shake at Sci-Fi, he talks about it all the time. I think they have the best burgers on-site so I am glad to see you enjoyed yours.

Paddlefish got a big thumbs up from me too! The picture of the crabs legs has me ruing that were not doing Cape May for dinner this year.
We're definitely on the same page with that day Narcoossee cheesecake was my favourite Disney dessert so far although I probably enjoyed my Beaches and Cream sundae just as much that was a make your own so doesn't really count. I just tried some of the Paddlefish cheesecake and that was good too, there's a restaurant that gets bashed I do hate the way in the social media age that everything has to be amazing or terrible, reality is that most things are either okay or inconsistent!

The sushi passes and good to hear of your OH's excellent taste in milkshakes, has he tried a Byron Oreo shake with malt added? If not he needs to it might be his thing too
Californivacation
Unread 29 Jul 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Planning's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
You description of Yachtsman made me laugh, so funny...

I would go just for the Lexington sundae it might save a couple of pensioners from a heart attack 😉
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
Imagineer

Lol you were served by the famous Ricardo, he's a Yachtsman legend - he was there the day it opened and celebrated 30 years as a CM this year. We usually have a chat with him when we visit.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Discount Florida Car Hire