Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports
Unread 5 Aug 18, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Great start to Universal, I love those egg n bacon croissants fro E&B's -looking forward to getting one soon.
I didn't try one, DW had at least 3 so they must have been good Next time! Enjoy your trip and looking forward to your food photos which I'm sure will put mine to shame once again

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Great read as always👍🏻

Her Maj 😂😂
I'm trying to goad her into registering and posting. She said she was going to yesterday but then changed her mind but she is still reading Just noticed your countdown is at 2 weeks, very jealous - enjoy!
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Californivacation
Unread 5 Aug 18, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Lunch - Margaritaville and Voodoo Doughnut (Universal CityWalk)

Margaritaville was a repeat visit from our last trip when DD and I had a great meal here including a brilliant dessert flight that we wanted to repeat. It wasnt the best of starts, the hostess was having some sort of meltdown at the frontdesk and shouting around orders to get seaters over to her. In fact the hostess, the seater and the guy who poured the water all seemed to be having a collective bad day, something was not right there We also noticed the trademark volcano wasnt erupting, maybe the management here isnt the best at the moment?

Anyway, our server took a drinks order, water for DD, the usual for DW and a Perfect Margarita for me.
Perfectly Adequate Margarita

We were going straight to main courses again. DW wanted to keep it light so ordered a kids cheeseburger. This was still a fairly decent size, served with fries and a pickle. She really enjoyed it at first but found it a little plain after a while which I guess is the risk with ordering the kids meal.
Looking at the photo it must have been travelling at about 20 mph

DD chose an adult portion of the Crispy Coconut Shrimp, shrimp/prawns being one of the many new foods she had only started eating on this holiday

The shrimp were enormous and the coconut coating was really great, flavoursome with coconut and crispy in exactly the way that the one Bonefish Grill wasnt. I also really enjoyed the orange horseradish marmalade (tasted mainly of orange) served as a dip but everyone else thought it a bit weird. DD ate about half of this dish then helped me with mine as I pinched a couple of shrimp. Fries and coleslaw were also fine although DD still won't touch coleslaw.

I was in the mood for something light so went for the appetiser of volcano nachos and the blender cup of margarita The nachos here are famously good and huge but I figured Id get some help and we could all share.
Before

After

Given that you could see this portion from space I think we did alright here. We probably managed just under half between DD and I, you could maybe finish it with it 3 hungry people. It was delicious by the way with load of chilli, beans, sour cream, guac, jalapenos and cheese running throughout the whole stack unlike many nacho dishes.
Whos to Blame in (plastic) Souvenir blender cup

The large margarita disappeared with terrifying ease, its a nice one that I had in a flight last time (mind you I find all margaritas nice). Not sure how much tequila is in these, I didnt feel remotely tipsy. After this the unfriendly service kicked in again. DD had just convinced me that we were going to do the dessert flight again when the server appeared, slapped the check down with a no rush and walked off

Shed been fine apart from this so probably the stressy hostess had decided it was time to turn the table over, who knows! So we decided to get dessert from Voodoo Doughnut instead The bill was $98 and they cleaned up the souvenir cup to take away in my park bag..
Who likes to rock the party? Seat Number One. Seat Number One likes to rock the party.

Over to Voodoo Doughnut then for a dessert on the move. The queue at lunchtime was only a couple of people I like the way that the actual doughnuts were on display alongside the queue and at the counter.

DW went for the Glazed Old Fashioned in the top picture. She didnt eat it until about half an hour later by which time it was squashed and not very photogenic so well stick with the picture above. She declared it superb, much better than Krispy Kreme and other similar places shes tried. She only ever gets this type of glazed doughnut by the way.

I went for the Chuckles (raised yeast doughnut with chocolate frosting, dipped in mocha powder, and topped with peanuts and caramel and chocolate drizzle).

This was good but didnt knock my socks off in the way that I hoped it would. If you look, mine doesnt look a lot like the display model so perhaps I got a duff one. I would have liked to have binned it and tried another - probably the ODB or Bacon Maple Bar but I hate wasting food (even in Orlando) so saw it through.

DD went for the Dirt (Raised yeast doughnut with vanilla frosting and Oreo cookies). She enjoyed this a lot (have you noticed yet that every dessert needs to feature Oreos in some form). This doughnut was huge but I've temporarily mislaid the photo of her holding it - to be added if/when I find it. She finished it obviously, it's a doughnut.

These came to a very reasonable $7.41. There is some good value food to be had on CityWalk.

Dinner at Bice to follow
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Californivacation
Unread 5 Aug 18, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I can't wait to try voodoo donut, I have a massive thing for donuts. Might be tempted to go with original glaze as sometimes simple is best! And based on your review it sounds like a win.

Re the Pottermore website, I have been sulking with it ever since it put me in Hufflepuff.

Edit: also forgot to say we had very grumpy bordering on rude service at Margaritaville last year. I think it was the only place we under tipped- left about 8% and got scowls on the way out (so no different to the scowls we got during dinner then, except we tipped for extra ones)

Edited at 03:47 PM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time at Disney!
Unread 5 Aug 18, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Those Voodoo Donuts seem dangerous... I would gorge on them and regret it later... 😂
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Gran Destino Tower Adventure!
Unread 5 Aug 18, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I can't wait to try voodoo donut, I have a massive thing for donuts. Might be tempted to go with original glaze as sometimes simple is best! And based on your review it sounds like a win.

Re the Pottermore website, I have been sulking with it ever since it put me in Hufflepuff.

Edit: also forgot to say we had very grumpy bordering on rude service at Margaritaville last year. I think it was the only place we under tipped- left about 8% and got scowls on the way out (so no different to the scowls we got during dinner then, except we tipped for extra ones)
The doughnuts were great and not expensive, the only issue was getting to the store at a time when there wasn't a queue and you either wanted one or were able to carry them around Pottermore I was ok with Slytherin but then I tried the magical animal thing and ended up as some sort of rabbit, so an evil rabbit it is

Margaritaville the food and drink was much as we remembered it but the place itself seemed less well cared for. Maybe their management is too focused on that new Orlando hotel they're opening...

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Those Voodoo Donuts seem dangerous... I would gorge on them and regret it later... 😂
I regretted not buying more I can tell you, so many of them looked worth trying and I picked a dud

Just writing up Bice dinner which will probably be it for today

Edited at 04:57 PM.
Californivacation
Unread 5 Aug 18, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Phew! Finally cought up after being away for a few days last week. I've really enjoyed the updates and glad that the bald poached eggs became less of a feature in them! 😂. I've had a few extra chuckles along the way, so thanks for that! 😀

Anyway, I would have probably commented loads over the last 25 pages but I can't remember what I would of said now and can't say I would have made much sense either?! 🤔

Have a great last couple of days of your holiday.

Kat
WDW Onsite: OKW! - 2 Bed Villa October 2018
WDW onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Half Term In New York X
Unread 5 Aug 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

I cant believe a Slytherpuff is an actual thing! I jokingly call myself that but now I can say it officially

Tip for next time, the cherry or apple danishs are much nicer from Beverly Hills Boulangerie, no weird sugary goo on top.

Crispy coconut shrimp from Margaritaville sounds delicious. Good effort on the nachos, they looked like a never ending portion!

Mmm donuts. I have my eye on an ODB and/or (itll definitely be and!) an apple fritter.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
3rd stay at POFQ!
Unread 5 Aug 18, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Planning's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Those nachos look great. Good job you you've got some willpower to save room for the doughnuts.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote