Notices

Old 12 Aug 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Gwilspeed
slightly serious Dibber

Cool Lucy, Tom +1 oscars first adventure inc the Sullys. Orlando Aug 18

Welcome to our 3rd trip report, thought I’d better get this up as we fly in less than a week, nothing like leaving it till the last minute.

This is going to be a different report to what we have been used to as it’s our first going with a baby!

This is our 11th trip is as many years.

How this trip came about. We will be traveling to Orlando this year with some friends and there 3 kids. We went with them on there ‘once in a lifetime’ trip back in 2014, they had asked if we wanted to Join them as we were seen as Florida “experts” not needing an excuse we jumped at the chance to go with them and show them round. We all had a great time and they said they wouldn’t want to go back without us.

2014 trip I can’t believe that I haven’t got a photo of all of us, this was pre my trippy days.

Jump forward a couple of years and the Sully crew wanted to return. 2017 was out due to my work and not being able to get time off over the summer holidays. So we talked about 2018. When we found out Lucy was pregnant we wondered if they still want to go with a 4 month old but they were still committed and more than happy to go again baby in tow.

I’ll introduce the cast of this trip.

Tom (me)

Chief planner, find just as much fun in planning as the holiday itself. Work for Renault F1 and lover of rugby, BBQ and beers.
Favourite park: Epcot
Favourite attraction: Test track (but preferred the old version more)
Favourite thing about Florida: home away from home
Favourite restaurant: Cali grill

Lucy (my wife)

Currently on her year off maternity leave. But day job before that was health and safety for warwick castle. Not a fan of planning and happy to go along with most things. that is until she finds out I’ve booked a brewery tour or car event.
Enjoying a new found love of country music (which I guess isn’t so new found anymore)
Favourite park: Epcot
Favourite attraction: Toy story mania
Favourite thing about Florida: your memory’s
Favourite restaurant: long horns

Oscar

The new addition to our family. He’ll be 4 months when will travel. Already getting into Disney. His likes include looking at the picture of a cow we have on the wall, sleeping and milk.
We do seem to be pretty lucky with him as he is currently a chilled baby just keeping everything crossed it will continue!
Favourite park: Yet to be decided
Favourite attraction: as above

The Sullys

We’ve know them for years, I meet Myles and Kate via scouts. Before we really became friends I was even part of the scout guard of honour at their wedding.
I now help run an explore scout group with Kate (and another friend Kathryn).

Myles and I attend a local pub quiz every Sunday with a few other friends. Plus various other weekends away/stag does and pub outings over the years.
So see them both weekly.
Anyway let me introduce everyone

Kate
She is Normally a planner but happy to let me take over for this one.
Enjoys a G&T and good times with friends.

Favourite park: HS as first she went to
Favourite attraction: 7 dwarfs mine
Favourite thing about Florida: Tom & Lucy as tour guides
Favourite restaurant: Cali grill

Myles

Has been referred to as my dad before which I still find funny.
Teacher by day cider lover by night.

Favourite park: Epcot (although when I asked him these questions he answered Jeffison gardens in Leamington spa not realising I meant Florida)
Favourite attraction: Carrousel of progress
Favourite thing about Florida: the fact you just can’t have a bad time
Favourite restaurant: mannys

Ten (14)

Big comic book fan and really looking forward to checking out a real American comic book store. Gave us a bit of a shock last year when said he was a vegetarian. (My planning head started to spin and that added in another factor to planning) Roll on 6 months and he missed bacon so panic over!

Favourite park: BB
Favourite attraction: tower of terror
Favourite thing about Florida: food
Favourite restaurant: Cracker Barrel

Hattie (12)

Looking forward to hitting the shops! She keeps trying to find Disneyworld facts I don’t know. Got a nice cheeky side and will make me proper laugh at times.

Favourite park: HS
Favourite attraction: tower of terror
Favourite thing about Florida: all the parks
Favourite restaurant: Mannys

Aoife (9)

If she doesn’t end up working in theatre or on a stage I’ll be amazed! (But won’t say she can be a diva at times &#128540
Loves cereal and can’t wait to get some different ones in wall mart.

Favourite park: Universal
Favourite attraction: toy story mania
Favourite thing about Florida: the beach
Favourite restaurant: Mannys because I could draw on the table

So that’s everyone introduced so I’ll get on with the plan

We have booked indirect flights from travel bag as a package with car hire. Wouldn’t normally do a package but it worked out cheaper combining flight plus car so why not.

Flights
United from Heathrow via Chicago to MCO

Decided that indirect wasn’t so bad as Heathrow is a million times better to get to than doing the M25 to Gatwick. After recent reports about MCO passport control I’m glad we’ll clear all that during out stop off in Chicago. Fingers crossed Oscar enjoys flying.

Flying with United and apparently we have been able to secure a bassinet seat for Oscar on the long haul legs, I say apparently as it doesn’t show up on our booking but have checked 3 times on the phone and it shows there. He will just be on laps for the short hop between Chicago and Orlando.

Car hire (sorry bus)
As there are 8 of us it put the mini van idea out the window. We debated for ages if we should have 2 cars or 1 bus/wagon in the end we went for the 15 seater wagon.
It’s just easier as I can do most the driving as I’m happy with the roads and knowing my way round.

Keeping fingers crossed we get something like this

But I know deep down it will be one of these bad boys instead.

Accommodation

Lucy’s Mom and Dads condo on terrace ridge near champions gate. It really is our home away from home. We’ve been staying here since 2012. It’s got everything we need in the condo and has the use of the club house including pool area.

Food

We have a few ADR’s already booked for the likes of ohanas (our first visit), Sanaa, homecoming, 50’s prime time and splitsville.
Other must visits will likely be Mannys, Chuys and longhorn.

Tickets

Lucy and I both have a Disney AP and luckily Oscar doesn’t need anything.
I also have a universal AP from last years solo visit so only have to get one for Lucy.
Team S have got 14days magic your way tickets and a 3 park pass for Universal.

As we’ve all been before and not really knowing how Oscar will cope with the heat we plan on getting up hitting the parks then chill at the condo/pool in the afternoon before maybe going back out in the evenings.

The Sully gang will do the water parks but we are going to miss this year as Oscar can’t really do much. But saying that we do intend on going to volcano bay, but have pre booked the premium seating to give us a base and some guaranteed shade. Myles and Kate liked the idea so we’ve booked 2 sets just hope they are together as they couldn’t promise that on the phone.

Also plan on a beach day currently between Clearwater or maybe St. John’s pass and couple of shopping trips to the outlets.

One little treat we’ve booked in the Epcot illuminations fireworks cruise for our last night.

Oscar passport arrived so he is all set!

Think this covers everything. Hope you enjoy reading along now I’ve finally got it up with less than a week to go.

Disneyland 05, 15 / NYC,11,16 / Vegas 07,15

Edited at 08:36 PM.
Gwilspeed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Looks like you leave the same day as us. We travel down to Gatwick on Saturday and fly on Sunday morning. Sounds like you're gonna have a blast, hope Oscar enjoys his first trip. I am always full of admiration for anybody who can travel with a baby - it was as much as I could do to get to the end of the street most days when mine were that age We'll have to keep an eye out for you in the parks.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gwilspeed
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Looks like you leave the same day as us. We travel down to Gatwick on Saturday and fly on Sunday morning. Sounds like you're gonna have a blast, hope Oscar enjoys his first trip. I am always full of admiration for anybody who can travel with a baby - it was as much as I could do to get to the end of the street most days when mine were that age We'll have to keep an eye out for you in the parks.
Let’s hope the flight is ok might end up regretting it yet but we’ll see.

We’ll be keeping an eye out for you as well. Have a good flight.

Disneyland 05, 15 / NYC,11,16 / Vegas 07,15
Gwilspeed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MissBianca1
I want to go now!

Interested to find out how the trip went with Oscar at 4 months. Due in 8 weeks abs considering doing the same thing (must be mad! &#129315.

Can’t see a trip report for the right trip. Did you do one?

Thanks!
MissBianca1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List