Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Charlie's First DLP Adventure - August 2018 - Pre-Travel Day

Index can be found here

Tuesday 7th August 2018
Steps: 16,476
Miles: 6.69

As we weren’t due to leave to head to Folkestone until later this evening when Paul got home from work I spent the majority of our pre-travel day running errands… basically trying to keep myself busy so that time passed quickly! The excitement levels were pretty damn high!

First on the agenda was getting Charlie weighed. Now he is a little older I only do this once a month, generally the first Tuesday of the month to tie in with him turning another month older… so this was his 9 months weigh-in (20lb 10oz for anyone that is interested!)

From the clinic it was a rush to get back home as we have recently put our place on the market and we had a viewing booked in for 12pm. Very handily my Mum had offered to come over to take Charlie for a walk whilst I showed the people round, a big help!

Once the viewing was over we had some lunch and then had a trip to Tesco to pick up the last few essentials we needed for our trip… mainly snacks! Charlie was in great spirits… he clearly was feeling the Disney excitement too (either that or he was just happy at the task of picking up some deodorant for Daddy!)

Whilst wandering around I also spotted this Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that I of course couldn’t resist… and it was an absolute bargain at £2.50!

Along with sweets, biscuits and drinks I also picked up a new toy for Charlie for the car… the tactic being that it would be something he hasn’t seen before so would hold his attention for a bit longer! He puts everything in his mouth so I thought these looked like they would be good for chewing on!

With shopping done it was back home and next on the to-do list was to ring Sky. On trying to download some episodes ‘Charlie and the Numbers’ (a current favourite for our Charlie) to the iPad the previous evening I was hit with an error message saying I needed to upgrade our subscription. Most odd as we have had Sky Go Extra on our package since we signed up to Sky over 4 years ago! After a chat with a lovely Irish gentleman all was rectified and we were good to go (we didn’t actually end up using the iPad at all whilst away but always good to have it as back up!)

Right with all that done it was time to start packing. Yes, I know we were due to leave in a matter of hours and I was yet to do my packing (Rach, I know you will be literally seething at this!). I of course started with the absolute essentials… my Minnie ears! My collection seems to be mounting up, I of course packed all of them… a girl can never have enough ears!

It seemed only right to try a pair on Charlie… he wasn’t overly impressed though and pulled them straight off… this boy has a lot to learn!

At 4:15pm I managed to get Charlie down for a nap in his cot which was very handy as it gave me 35 whole minutes to run around finishing off the packing!

With nap time done and packing finished it was time for a quick dinner for Charlie (fish fingers and smiley faces!). Once that was finished it was time for a bath and into his PJs, the thinking being that he would then be ready to go straight to bed when we got to the hotel later that evening (wishful thinking!)

After bath time we sat in the living room for some TV time and cuddles. This would normally be the time I would be putting him down for bed so I think he was a little confused by the change in routine!

Paul arrived home at 7:10pm and set straight to packing… yes he was yet to pack either! (Rach you must be hyperventilating at this point!). By 8:20pm we were ready to go, the car was packed and Charlie was in his car seat.

We had to make a stop for fuel where Paul also picked up some necessary car snacks (Water, Coke, Doritos, Quavers and Mini Cheddars). With that sorted it was finally time to hit the road and get ourselves down to Folkestone!

Charlie was asleep within minutes of leaving the petrol station but then woke up again about half an hour later really upset… most likely confused as to why he was in the car at that time of night and not tucked up snug in his cot! He was soon settled and back to sleep thanks to us playing ‘Say Hello to the Sun’ (any of you who are familiar with this Baby Sensory song will know that is actually magic at settling an upset baby!)

We arrived at the Premier Inn in Folkestone just after 10pm. We grabbed the essentials from the car and after a quick stop at reception to pick up our key we were soon in our room. First impressions… it was hot! There was no air con, just a fan in the corner blowing around the hot air! Given that we were in the middle of a heatwave this was not welcomed kindly!

On getting Charlie out of the car he had woken up and now was full of smiles. Oblivious to the fact it was gone 10pm he was wide awake and raring to go! In a hope to wind him back down again I put him into his sleeping bag and gave him a feed… generally a sure fire way to get him to sleep, but nope not tonight! He was having none of it, after his sleep in the car he was now ready to play!

Whilst I was trying to settle Charlie, Paul popped out to pick up a McDonalds… we hadn’t had any dinner so this was totally justified! Luckily there was one minutes down the road so he was back by 10:45… although on getting back to the room he realised he had left the straws in the car so had to run back out!

We tucked into our food whilst Charlie had a roam around in his travel cot… yes, still very much wide awake at this point!

I wanted to have a quick shower before bed to save time in the morning so left Charlie having cuddles with Paul on the bed.

After I was showered and into PJs I finally managed to get Charlie down to sleep, by now it was 11:55pm!

It was short-lived though, just after 12am he woke up again at the sound of Paul plugging in his phone to charge… talk about light sleeper! I was concerned he was too hot even in his super light 0.5 tog sleeping bag so I stripped it off, gave him another feed and he was soon asleep once again.

With Charlie now sleeping soundly it was time to get ourselves to bed, with the alarm set for 5:30am it was going to be an early start!

Tomorrow sees us travelling to Paris and Charlie experiencing his first ever Disney park!

Travel day can be found here

Edited at 04:42 PM.
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Yes you’re right, the last minute packing really gives me the fear! Haha!

That room must have been so hot!

Love the cheeky McDonald’s Gotta be done!

Charlie looks so cute in his cot! Scary how big he’s getting though! Glad he finally dozed off for the night! That is some light sleeping, with a plug waking him up!

Excited for the next installment! Xxx
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Yayyyy you've started!

Say hello to the sun is such a magic song . Charlie's happy wee face in the travel cot is too cute, not what you want at 11pm though!

So excited to read along xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

So glad you've started. I'm looking forward to reading along. I can't believe how big Charlie is already.
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

A pretty hectic sounding day. Charlie is super cute. Cannot wait to read about your family Disney adventures. Love the rainbow ears!
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Yes you’re right, the last minute packing really gives me the fear! Haha!

That room must have been so hot!

Love the cheeky McDonald’s Gotta be done!

Charlie looks so cute in his cot! Scary how big he’s getting though! Glad he finally dozed off for the night! That is some light sleeping, with a plug waking him up!

Excited for the next installment! Xxx
The room was literally like a sauna (more on that in the next instalment!)

How simply plugging in a phone charger can wake him up is beyond me but slept soundly whilst walking around a crazy busy Disney park... makes no sense!

Next instalment coming soon!

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Yayyyy you've started!

Say hello to the sun is such a magic song . Charlie's happy wee face in the travel cot is too cute, not what you want at 11pm though!

So excited to read along xx
Honestly I think there is some sort of baby hypnosis going on with that song... Charlie can be screaming blue murder and within seconds of it being played he is silent! Actual magic!

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
So glad you've started. I'm looking forward to reading along. I can't believe how big Charlie is already.
He has grown up so quickly all of a sudden, it's hard to believe he was ever a newborn now!

I'm excited to relive it all!

Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
A pretty hectic sounding day. Charlie is super cute. Cannot wait to read about your family Disney adventures. Love the rainbow ears!
Even on pre-travel day we seem to be rushing here, there and everywhere... things don't slow down from here on out either!

I love those rainbow ears... a bargain at £3 from Primark!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Aww, Charlie is so cute. I'm going to google the sensory song for my grandchildren.

Looking forward to reading the rest.
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DevonPumpkin
Earning More Ears

There's something about reading the pre-travel days that's almost even more exciting than park days! I love the build up to a holiday you've been really looking forward to. Charlie is a cutie, can't wait to read more!
DevonPumpkin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nesbits View Post
Aww, Charlie is so cute. I'm going to google the sensory song for my grandchildren.

Looking forward to reading the rest.
I hope you enjoy the song... it truly is magic! I don't actually know how we would parent without it!

Originally Posted by DevonPumpkin View Post
There's something about reading the pre-travel days that's almost even more exciting than park days! I love the build up to a holiday you've been really looking forward to. Charlie is a cutie, can't wait to read more!
I love the excitement of a pre-travel day, with everything to come it really is just an electric feeling!
Old 22 Aug 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m reading this and scratching my head at how you still managed to walk six miles during this day. That would have been one mammoth stroll around Tesco!

Snacks and toys for the journey sounds right up my street. And I love the detail of Paul needing to run back and get the straws. All important scene setting!

Glad Charlie finally let you get some rest. Not much fun in a hot hotel room (as someone who knows). So excited to read the next instalment!
HelenJNT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List