Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 30 Sep 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG New York Surprise - 18th August 2018 - Greenwich Village & Chicago the Musical

Day 3

The alarm was set for 7.30 today but I woke up just before.

Jim and I had decided last night that it would just be Hope and myself going into the city today. Jim was finding the whole pace of New York quite stressful, he works in central London everyday and had a very busy time at work leading up to the holiday so really needed a day to regroup.
Hope and I had theatre tickets for Chicago this afternoon anyway so it made sense that him and Sam chill for the day.

We left the boys asleep and left the apartment at 9, straight in an Uber to get to Hoboken station. No PATH trains were running to Midtown this weekend so we could only go as far as the World Trade Centre. They were handing out 2 trip metro cards free as you left the station as compensation which was handy.

We needed to get the E train to W 4th St so followed signs that way. The signs suddenly stopped so I asked someone who pointed us in the right direction. We went through the barrier using up one of our free trips to find it was the wrong platform even though it said E train quite clearly. It was so confusing! I asked a subway worker who was so patronising and said that they only run late nights (not true) and proceeded to spell it out to me from a sign like I was a 4 year old learning to read! Well my blood was boiling . I pointed out in my very English accent that of course I can read we invented the flipping language and how rude he was. Twice in 2 days now! I reckon they hear a non American accent and assume we are all stupid. They can be so insular at times

We had now wasted a journey on our metro card but left to try and find someone who knew what they were talking about. A very nice lady pointed us in the correct direction and we made it onto the train with no more difficulty. Me and the subway had fallen out big time! It turned out we could have got the E train from the other platform we just had to walk further down onto a different one. Clearly he didn’t have a clue

We got out on W 4th St and made our way to Bleecker St. to find some food, we were both quite hungry now.

We found a Starbucks so stopped here for some breakfast. I ordered a Strawberry Açai Refresher and a sausage, egg and cheese muffin. Hope had a Vanilla cream and the very predictable croissant
All really good, can’t go wrong with Starbucks really.

We now made our way down Bleecker St to a Mask bar that a client of mine had recommended knowing how much Hope loves face masks.

There were so many to choose from.
We got 6 for $10. I chose 2, Hope the other 4.

Now we went to find the Friends building on Bedford Avenue.
I was really loving this neighbourhood, it feels like a million miles away from the city but in reality it’s not far from the hustle and bustle. I could really see myself living here, walking the dog on a Saturday morning and going for breakfast in one of the small cafes. One can dream

We found it no problem thanks to my iPhone maps, it’s a lot smaller in real life than what it looks like on TV!

Now headed West to the river front and to walk up along Hudson River Park.

Being a Saturday there were loads of joggers around. After a quick restroom stop we started walking north towards the High Line.

It was really hotting up by now, we were sweating buckets by the time we hit the High Line.
This area felt quite hippy, it had a really nice atmosphere to it. The High Line was quite busy but it’s an interesting place to walk through.

We got off at W 14th St and walked around to Chelsea Market.

Grabbed a much needed drink from a van then went inside. It’s very similar to Covent Garden in London just an indoor version. We had a browse around the little stores. There are so many eateries in here you could spend weeks trying each one for lunch

We went into the Fat Witch Bakery after it being recommended on here. I picked up 3 brownies, these were $2.99 each.

We headed on out now and ordered an Uber to take us up to Ellen’s Stardust Diner where we were going to have lunch, this was $17.
Yes that is the queue

Got in it at 11.43am and slowly got to the front at 12.23pm. It better be good in here!
We got seated at a tiny table on its own at the back of the restaurant but we could still see the main area which was good. Got given menus and ordered 2 Diet Cokes.
There was a lady compère who stood up and did a little speech about the very talented singers and how hard they try and get into Broadway with very little earnings. She says that they’ll come round with a tip bucket and to give anything we could to help them out would be much appreciated.

Once the drinks arrived I ordered the Philly cheesesteak and waffle fries and Hope had a cheeseburger and waffle fries.

Food was ok but quite large portions that neither of us could finish.
Singing was amazing though, they are all very talented. Throughout our meal we heard Love Shack, Never Enough from The Greatest Showman, For the First Time in Forever and Joyful Joyful from Sister Act 2.

The lady came round with a tip bucket halfway through, I put in $5. Wasn’t sure if this was too little or not but when I got the Bill I decided it was enough. $63 with 20% tip automatically included. Astronomical for what we had! I’m glad it was just the 2 of us that ate here, would have had to of remortgaged for all 4 . Once paid we headed out before the tip bucket came back around

Hope wanted to have a look in another tacky NY gift store for the hoody she was after. She finally found it in the right size. $37.99. So expensive! It will probably shrink in the wash and the print will come off but it’s her money.

We then popped into the Xmas store on the corner where I bought this New York decoration.

It was about 1.30pm now so we walked down to the Ambassador Theatre box office to pick up the tickets. I asked how much a seat upgrade would be as we were literally the last row in the theatre. He said to come back when the doors opened at 2 and he would sort something out for us.

Went back outside to call Jim to see if they were behaving themselves. They were just having lunch in Burger King but other than that they were having a very chilled day which they were happy with.

The doors opened so we queued up and went to see the guy again. I couldn’t believe it, he very kindly put us down in the Orchestra section in the row K free of charge. 11 rows from the front! I thanked him profusely and we made our way to our seats. He restored my faith in rude New Yorkers!
I must have been on a high as I went and bought a program for $20 then a small tube of Pringles and a bag of M&Ms for $10

The show started at 2.30pm and what can I say, it was amazing from start to finish. The cast were fantastic. Hope was grinning from ear to ear which made it even more worthwhile! We love going to the theatre and count ourselves very lucky that we live just outside central London so get to go quite often.

We got out of the theatre just before 5pm and headed up to the Rockefeller Centre so I could prebook our Top of the Rock tickets for tomorrow night.

A lovely lady served us. I said I would like to be up there for sunset so she booked them for 6.45 with sunset starting at 7.30.
That done and tickets in hand we headed back towards the 42nd St/Port Auth subway station. This took about 20 minutes. Our legs were really feeling the effect of all the walking we had done!

We popped into Walgreens in Times Square to get a drink first.
Got the subway down to World Trade Centre then the PATH straight to Hoboken. I called Jim when we got out of the station and he and Sam got an Uber to meet us there. I took a few photos of the area, I really do love it around here

One World Observatory

The boys arrived about 15 minutes later. They had had a very lazy day apart from going around the corner to Burger King. Jim’s body clock is all over the place and has spent a good chunk of the day asleep! The jet lag is playing havoc with him. Sam was quite happy on his iPad and watching a few films on tv.

Originally we were going for dinner at Johnny Rockets but I had had enough fries and fancied something different. A quick look on the map showed there was a Chipotle round the corner so headed there. Hope and Sam didn’t fancy it so we said they could have McDonalds which was opposite. They went over the road to order their food then we met them in there.

I ordered the soft flour tacos with chicken and Jim a chicken burrito. With 2 soft drinks it came to $19. What I did find bemusing was the suggested tip when it came to paying on the CC screen. 18, 20 or 22% tip! This is a place where you queue up yourself to order them pay and even get your own drink

Went over to McDs where Hope just had some fries and Sam had a BBQ bacon chicken burger meal. I think it came to $9. A nice cheap dinner overall

We got an Uber back to the apartment for about 8.30pm.
When we get back Jim suggested we move to a hotel for our last night. He really isn’t happy about the apartment, I think spending the day there made it worse but he says we could go nearer La Guardia airport so we’re not as far Monday morning. I really didn’t mind, I’ve hardly spent any time there. Yes it’s a complete crap hole but it’s only one more night. I’m also aware it’s his holiday too and if he wants to move then that’s fine. We look on the map to see where is close to the airport but also to Manhattan as we are spending the afternoon and evening there tomorrow. Long Island City looks to tick all boxes so I go onto Booking.com and find a half decent hotel that doesn’t cost a fortune! I come across the Four Points at Sheraton for $160 so we book that. Hope isn’t happy about sharing a bed with her brother and says she’ll just sleep on the floor.
Oh dear I can sense another fallout brewing but I'm not going to let it ruin what has been a fantastic Mum & Daughter day

Steps today 13898

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 12:24 AM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

It’s a shame you had a rude guy at the tube station - we didn’t talk to anyone official but asked lots of NYers for help when buying tickets and they were so helpful, with directions and offering seats because we had kids.
We loved Ellen’s, the food was ok, but it did cost a small fortune! We were lucky, we went for 6pm ish, walked straight in and got a table at the front.
The high line is something I’d like to do next time, we just couldn’t fit it in.
Love your pictures
Judy
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Another good day ! Looks like a nice neighbourhood to have a walk round. Mind you I am ashamed to say I have never watched an episode of Friends so I would probably just walk past the apartment block oblivious !
Lucky with the theatre tickets, so there are some nice New Yorkers !

The more I read about Ellen’s the more I think I will give it a miss. For four of us I think it would just be too much.

Hope you like your hotel for your last night.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
a lovely mum & daughter day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 18, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Weddingnyc View Post
It’s a shame you had a rude guy at the tube station - we didn’t talk to anyone official but asked lots of NYers for help when buying tickets and they were so helpful, with directions and offering seats because we had kids.
We loved Ellen’s, the food was ok, but it did cost a small fortune! We were lucky, we went for 6pm ish, walked straight in and got a table at the front.
The high line is something I’d like to do next time, we just couldn’t fit it in.
Love your pictures
Judy
Yes very unlucky with a couple of rude people but we met some very friendly New Yorkers who restored the faith!
You were so lucky walking straight into Ellen’s, I didn’t think that was possible 😳
Definitely go to the High Line next time, it’s an interesting place to walk through and it’s nice being elevated about the roads
Thank you for reading 😃

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 18, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Another good day ! Looks like a nice neighbourhood to have a walk round. Mind you I am ashamed to say I have never watched an episode of Friends so I would probably just walk past the apartment block oblivious !
Lucky with the theatre tickets, so there are some nice New Yorkers !

The more I read about Ellen’s the more I think I will give it a miss. For four of us I think it would just be too much.

Hope you like your hotel for your last night.
Greenwich Village is my favourite place in NY. Haha I bet you would be wondering why so many people were huddled on a corner taking photos of a random building 😂
We were so lucky with the theatre ticket upgrade, it’s always worth asking if you’ve booked a show.
I don’t want to put you off Ellen’s as we really enjoyed it in there as long as you’re prepared to queue and for it to not be cheap. It’s certainly a unique experience!
Thank you again for reading 😃

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 4 Oct 18, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
a lovely mum & daughter day
It really was. We got loads more done with it being just the 2 of us, and no arguments! Yay 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 4 Oct 18, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Nice to spend a girlie day just the two of you shopping for face masks and overpriced hoodies!

I'm glad you enjoyed Ellen's, you're right it is expensive though, we had breakfast there so I think this helped but it was still pushing close to $100 for the 4 of us.

The seat upgrade in the theatre was fab and did a little to restoring your faith in New Yorkers.

Poor Jim doesn't seem to be getting into the swing of NYC. I can just imagine the kids fighting over the bed in the hotel! Fingers crossed that didn't lead to bloodshed!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 18, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We've been to Ellen's twice and luckily not queued either time. Pricey yes, and the food is ok but not great, but you go for the entertainment rather than anything else I suppose!

DW and I walked past the Friends building in 2017 but totally forgot we were there and didn't stop. It was only later in the evening that we realised we'd walked past it!

Shame about your apartment though.
Old 6 Oct 18, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Catching up!
Great day for the 2 of u, while the boys rested. Just like me and my DD, we can keep going but boys just need some downtime every now and then don’t they?
We didn’t make it to Ellen’s which was a shame, sounds fun if expensive. The theatre upgrade was fab!
Oh the Friends Building was a good find and I love the Highline with a side of Fat Witch Brownies
Thanks for sharing
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List