Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Oct 18, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My Feet Are Sore! A week in Disney Sept 2018. Final thoughts.

So here are my final thoughts on our trip.

Aer Lingus

So I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not a fan of indirect anyway as it makes for such a long day but thought this would be a good option since you get immigration out of the way. I chose the early flight from Glasgow so if there was any issue we had plenty of time but in hindsight the later flight would have been better as we were so tired having to get up so early. And arriving at 7.25pm is late, even worse when the flight is late so I didn't really feel any advantage to doing pre clearance. It took just as long as it would have done in Orlando.
The flight out wasn't comfortable. I think we've done PE too many times!
So although our flight was a good price I think I'd rather pay the extra and go direct and PE. That said, if it was indirect or nothing I'd consider Aer Lingus but only if they bring the Orlando flight forward to a better time.

Boardwalk Inn
It was a lovely resort and I wish we'd had two weeks there instead of one. It such a lovely area. It was handy being able to walk to Epcot and DHS too.
The downsides -
QS options are poor and it's all very well to say you can walk to Epcot but when you're tired and hungry it's not ideal. Even OKW has a better option.
The car park is sooo far away from the hotel. We did manage to figure out if we parked on the right as you come in we could cross at the convention centre and it was quicker but often you couldn't get parked close to the hotel. Not ideal when tired and hot and carrying shopping bags. It's one of the things we like about OKW.
It's quite a busy area and we do like the peace of somewhere like OKW which is still our favourite resort.
I would stay there again though as I felt like we were just getting into the swing of the resort when it was time to leave.

Food

I've already written some thoughts on this on my dining report but I did miss having DDP. We probably spent just as much as it would have cost to buy. We get a bit lazy when it comes to food and without ADRs booked in advance we're less likely to try new places. Tiredness informed a lot of our dining choices and we still didn't eat at a lot of places we'd like to try.
We did enjoy some nice meals though and some new places.

Not doing Universal

We've never gone and not done Universal so I did worry we'd miss it. Last year we started there and regretted it though so I think it tainted Universal a bit. I didn't really miss it at all and still don't. I'm not sure I'm bothered if we go next year and tickets aren't cheap so if it's going to be difficult I'd happily not bother. There's nothing new coming that I'm bothered about.
Of course I may change my mind in a year and I do like Royal Pacific!

Going for a week

This is another thing I'm torn with. It most certainly was not long enough for us. We crammed too much in and didn't do enough relaxing while in the parks. Last year we enjoyed Disney so much because we took it at a slow pace, did rides and shows we wouldn't normally and generally chilled. This year was the opposite and although we still enjoyed it, it wasn't the same.
But then I think, if it was a week or nothing...

So that's my report complete. Very short but hopefully a few things to help people.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 18, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thank you for taking the time to do your trippie I have really enjoyed reading along

Joan
Old 15 Oct 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Thank you for taking the time to do your trippie I have really enjoyed reading along

Joan
You’re welcome! Thank you for reading!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for sharing 😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I was really interested in your thoughts on Aer Lingus as Thomas Cook’s new flight schedule means they’ll no longer work for us. If we did go via Dublin I think I’d fly out the night before travel and then stay at the airport in Dublin before doing the ‘big’ flight the next day, or we might just suck up Virgin’s prices, do they fly year around from Glasgow?

I agree about the car parking at Deluxe resorts, it doesn’t seem right to me that you pay all that money and then have to hike to your room.

Thank you for sharing Lisa, it was really interesting reading about a week long trip, I agree it really doesn’t seem long enough but I’d take a week or nothing too.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I agree about Universal - we're happy if we go once every few years. We went last year and would quite happily miss this time (and save Ł450) but DD who hasn't been to Orlando for 5 years wants to go and do the whole thing.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Thank you for sharing 😊
Thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I was really interested in your thoughts on Aer Lingus as Thomas Cook’s new flight schedule means they’ll no longer work for us. If we did go via Dublin I think I’d fly out the night before travel and then stay at the airport in Dublin before doing the ‘big’ flight the next day, or we might just suck up Virgin’s prices, do they fly year around from Glasgow?

I agree about the car parking at Deluxe resorts, it doesn’t seem right to me that you pay all that money and then have to hike to your room.

Thank you for sharing Lisa, it was really interesting reading about a week long trip, I agree it really doesn’t seem long enough but I’d take a week or nothing too.
Virgin don’t fly all year from Glasgow but they are now flying later in the year. They’re our preference as we like to fly Friday or Saturday and prefer PE. Aer Lingus were ok but it was such a long day and I think if we were to go with them again flying the day before to Dublin would better. Unfortunately the flight from Dublin is even later next year so they’re slipping farther down my list.

I think a week at Universal would be fine but there’s so much to do at Disney!

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
I agree about Universal - we're happy if we go once every few years. We went last year and would quite happily miss this time (and save Ł450) but DD who hasn't been to Orlando for 5 years wants to go and do the whole thing.
It’s so much money now I feel I struggle to justify it but I suspect we’ll go next year, even maybe for a day.

Trip Report Index
Old 20 Oct 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Virgin don’t fly all year from Glasgow but they are now flying later in the year. They’re our preference as we like to fly Friday or Saturday and prefer PE. Aer Lingus were ok but it was such a long day and I think if we were to go with them again flying the day before to Dublin would better. Unfortunately the flight from Dublin is even later next year so they’re slipping farther down my list.

I think a week at Universal would be fine but there’s so much to do at Disney!

Thanks Lisa, Virgin's prices are always mental but I suppose I'd just have to be patient and wait it out for a good deal.

I feel like once you've gone direct everything else just seems like a nightmare. The first time we flew to Florida we had 3 different flights and left he airport hotel at 3 am, I don't think I'd do that now even if it was free .
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Thanks Lisa, Virgin's prices are always mental but I suppose I'd just have to be patient and wait it out for a good deal.

I feel like once you've gone direct everything else just seems like a nightmare. The first time we flew to Florida we had 3 different flights and left he airport hotel at 3 am, I don't think I'd do that now even if it was free .
The older I get the more I put comfort ahead of price. I suppose it comes down to whether flight price is going to make or break you going at all. Virgin are expensive but no more so than TC or Tui from what I’ve seen so I’d choose them first to fly on a Saturday. With indirect I have to be saving a significant amount.

Trip Report Index
Old 20 Oct 18, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It's interesting reading your final thoughts. I think I'd struggle with just a week too and try to cram in too much and then of course we'd end up being too tired to really enjoy it all. But as you say, if it's one week or not at all then there's not really a choice.

It does sound like your heart belongs to OKW and while you enjoyed aspects of Boardwalk it just wasn't for you. At least now you know, I really hope you manage to secure an OKW booking for next year, with the DDP of course!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List