Go Back   theDIBB - Disney With A British Accent > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports
Unread 10 Nov 18, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Glad you had a better food day.
We loved Tony's Festival of fantasy package too.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Onsite Disney with ddp
Unread 11 Nov 18, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

The picture of that Tonys pizza looks amazing. I'm craving pizza right now. Have you ever been offsite to Giordano's pizza? It's really high on my list to try next trip!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time at Disney!
Unread 11 Nov 18, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill247
Getting Excited

Wow loving your report, so. much. food!

Aren't the caramel apples gorgeous? My favourite snack credit. If you haven't tried you need to get one from Karamel Kuche too!

I'm sad you didn't have a good experience at California Grill Brunch as we had the opposite experience, amazing window seat and my steak was melt in the mouth. DH and DD also got non-alcholic spritzers with boba balls that they are still talking about!

I so wish I hadn't cancelled our Tony's ADR and swapped this out for The Plaza. Your meal looks lovely and such a good deal with the parade viewing area. This is on list for next trip.

Oh, we also spotted a Hawaii number plate on our last day! It got us wondering what a journey it had to Florida, across the ocean and the US. I actually loved spotting all the different state plates during our trip, love that they are all different.
Gill247 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Beach Club, Sapphire Falls & Miami
Unread 11 Nov 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
VIP Dibber

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Really enjoying your report.Tony's Parade viewing meal is really tempting and I've booked and cancelled before purely as I just don't think we could face a big meal like that at lunchtime.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
EVERYTHING IS ON HOLD
Unread 11 Nov 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
Imagineer

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Just caught up.
Such a shame you had a wee run of meals that didnt live up to the hype.
We have a BOG dinner booked for our trip, we are paying oop do really hoping its not disappointing.
We were also thinking of CG Brunch in the summer.
Nice to hear a good review of Tonys, might consider that in the summer although we do like Skippers and its my first choice MK dining place these days, you need to get yourself there next time.
Unread 12 Nov 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Wow, Tony's looked pretty good. I guess it is all in what you pick. Great view of the parade though, so well worth it even if the food was mediocre.

We love Beaches & Cream. It's simple food, nothing to rave about, but cheap (ish by Disney standards) and Gary just loves the No Way Jose. I have an ADR for the Saturday we arrive back from St Augustine in February, but I also have one for Art Smith's Homecomin' and I am currently debating which one to keep.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Hubby and Me - The Anniversary
Unread 12 Nov 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
I have never eaten in Tony's Restaurant but does look good! Whereabouts is it?
It is in Town Square in the Magic Kingdom, right next to the Mickey and Tinker Bell meet and greets. It's a lovely restaurant, they have a patio area too, which would be fantastic for people watching.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by GALE88 View Post
Tony's looks really good. It's now on my list for next year and I have way too many places on there already!
The Disney Dining struggle is real

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Ive just caught up with this and Im shocked lol. You ate offsite ! You , ate, offsite lol and loved it . I love ihop .
Cali brunch , I have to say Ive never really fancied it as the menu just doesnt appeal at all and youve just shown me that . The wave looked fabulous and we still havent managed here yet. I regret cancelling our Tonys festival package adr last year .never mind always next time but I have to say we enjoyed our offsite food so much more than the onsite ones.
As for your mum , I fully understand where you are coming from but mums always like to go off plan for some reason lol .
I know I don't know what came over me, it was like some kind of out of body experience.

We actually cancelled Tony's last year too, but I think it will be a must-do for us from now on.

It's so interesting that you enjoyed your offsite meals more, it makes me wonder what we are paying for onsite

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
You've really got me thinking that I need to add Tony's to my ever growing list of potentials! The meal looks fabulous and the fact that you get 3 courses without exclusions has turned my head.

I can't decide if I'm surprised or not that you've never tried a Bounty platter before. Actually I can decide! It's a staple it's like saying you've never had a hotdog from Casey's or a burger from Cosmic Ray's. It's lucky you weren't sure of the potatoes in the breakfast bowl so you had the Bounty. Plus tater tots! Yum. And what a way to eat it as well, great idea to take it up to the balcony. I think I'm in love with that view ... one day...
I'd put down Tony's as a must-do I think your extra guests would think that the parade viewing was a fabulous perk.

I don't think I'll ever get over how amazing that view was, I tend to turn my nose up at paying extra money for views (how much time do you spend looking out the window!?), but this was worth every penny. Unfortunately, I think we've hit the resort jackpot and none of our future staycations will live up to that one.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Its a shame to say but my experience of California Grill brunch was much the same as yours. 😔 I was so looking forward to it as well! I ordered the steak and eggs at the recommendation of our server along with 4 others in our party of 7 and I did NOT like it at all! The meat was very rare and chewy. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. On the upside DH ordered the eggs benidict, which he said was the best hed ever had. (The rest of us were really jealous and had serious food envy! 😂 )
Anyway i dont think we will be back unfortunately.

Kat
It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in not enjoying CG, not that I'm glad you had a bad experience I wish I'd ordered the eggs Benedict, I don't really know why I ordered steak, we'd eaten plenty of it. We also won't be back

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
Really pleased to hear you had a better food day! Tony's looks really good, I hadn't heard great things about the food there before. Having the parade viewing is a plus too if you can turn up just before
Anything that you can just roll up to minutes before and have a great view is worth it in my view, I definitely don't have the patience to pick a spot beforehand Tony's really gets a tough time but we've had success on both our visits.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Glad you had a better food day.
We loved Tony's Festival of fantasy package too.
You are Tony's cheerleader, every time I see a review of it the person has gone there via you

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
The picture of that Tonys pizza looks amazing. I'm craving pizza right now. Have you ever been offsite to Giordano's pizza? It's really high on my list to try next trip!
The pizza was ridiculously good! We've never been to Giordano's, but I think it looks amazing! Please do try it so you can let me know if it's good - we prefer thin crust pizza so I'm not sure if it's for us.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Gill247 View Post
Wow loving your report, so. much. food!

Aren't the caramel apples gorgeous? My favourite snack credit. If you haven't tried you need to get one from Karamel Kuche too!

I'm sad you didn't have a good experience at California Grill Brunch as we had the opposite experience, amazing window seat and my steak was melt in the mouth. DH and DD also got non-alcholic spritzers with boba balls that they are still talking about!

I so wish I hadn't cancelled our Tony's ADR and swapped this out for The Plaza. Your meal looks lovely and such a good deal with the parade viewing area. This is on list for next trip.

Oh, we also spotted a Hawaii number plate on our last day! It got us wondering what a journey it had to Florida, across the ocean and the US. I actually loved spotting all the different state plates during our trip, love that they are all different.
Hi Gill!

We didn't try the Karamel-Kuche apples and I badly, badly wish we did. I couldn't believe they were available as a snack credit, definitely next time.

I can't believe we weren't offered the mocktails at CG! As silly as it sounds I really think they'd have added to the experience.

I wonder if we saw the same Hawaii plate, surely there can't be that many of them around?! I have an app on my phone of the License Plate game that I start over every year, this time I don't want to delete our findings as I'm not sure if we'll ever see Hawaii again!

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Really enjoying your report.Tony's Parade viewing meal is really tempting and I've booked and cancelled before purely as I just don't think we could face a big meal like that at lunchtime.
I think you guys would really enjoy the parade viewing spot. The pizza wasn't huge so if you were to have the soup, pizza and some ice cream like Nik did I don't think you'd find it too heavy.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Just caught up.
Such a shame you had a wee run of meals that didnt live up to the hype.
We have a BOG dinner booked for our trip, we are paying oop do really hoping its not disappointing.
We were also thinking of CG Brunch in the summer.
Nice to hear a good review of Tonys, might consider that in the summer although we do like Skippers and its my first choice MK dining place these days, you need to get yourself there next time.
Usually I wouldn't be too disappointed in not enjoying meals and just chalk it up to experience but there was so much that didn't go as I'd anticipated this trip that it was all a bit frustrating.

I do hope you have better luck at Be Our Guest.

100% we are doing Skipper Canteen next time, it is inexcusable that there's a MK restaurant we are yet to eat in

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Wow, Tony's looked pretty good. I guess it is all in what you pick. Great view of the parade though, so well worth it even if the food was mediocre.

We love Beaches & Cream. It's simple food, nothing to rave about, but cheap (ish by Disney standards) and Gary just loves the No Way Jose. I have an ADR for the Saturday we arrive back from St Augustine in February, but I also have one for Art Smith's Homecomin' and I am currently debating which one to keep.
I'd tend to agree that on DP the parade package is worth it even if you hate the food

The size of the sundaes in Beaches and Cream make me nervous We had an amazing server one visit who made me a mini No Way Jose from the 'Create Your Own Sundae' part of the menu, it was so nice.

Homecomin' is fabulous, but if Beaches and Cream is a bit of a haunt of yours I'd probably go there as I'm a sucker for tradition. I am quite sad we passed on it last year, Tusker House is now the only restaurant we have never missed.

Thank you for reading!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
NE Road Trip & Disney
Unread 12 Nov 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
VIP Dibber

DAY 11

We had a lie in today and breakfast was snacks in the room, we were supposed to be eating at Akershus, but as were intending to stay for Illuminations we decided to switch to Ale & Compass so that we could valet park at the Yacht Club meaning we didnt have to trek to the front of the park from World Showcase at the end of the night, and we also wouldnt have to bother with the tram. I was disappointed to be missing out on lunch with the Princesses, but Ale & Compass had been on my radar so was excited to be eating there.

Ale & Compass

Ale & Compass is the Yacht Clubs casual table-service restaurant, which opened late last year in the space previously occupied by Captains Grille.

Unfortunately, I dont feel the dcor has changed for the better. The restaurant is much more elegant than before but it doesnt feel very Disney, this is probably exactly the look they were going for with conventioneers in mind, but its no fun for us Disney fans!

We shared some Parker House Rolls and Spreads - Bacon Jam, Pub Cheese, Citrus Butter to start.

I have been looking forward to trying these since the restaurant opened. They come nicely presented, and the rolls themselves are delicious, similar to the rolls I loved at The Boathouse last year, the glaze and the salt sprinkled on the top are to die for, and I wish the entire things were coated in this. As for the spreads, the citrus butter was too sweet for me, it reminded me of the lemon curd from the Afternoon Tea, and it made me feel like I was eating a cake rather than a roll. I didnt like the bacon jam at all, again, the flavour was overpowering. The pub cheese was my favourite of the three, this was like cream cheese, rather than the dip I anticipated it would be. In all honesty, Id have preferred some normal butter! Our server was quite absent, and if he hadnt been Id have asked him for some normal butter.

Nik had Lobster and Corn Chowder - with Herbs and House-made Oyster Cracker.

I thought this was delicious, but he didnt like it, he doesnt really like corn and there was a lot of it, so he gave it a thumbs down. He was worried that the oyster crackers meant there was oysters in the soup haha.

The menu had lots of appealing entrees, I went for the Fish & Chips - Atlantic-Cod in Signature Beer Batter with Lemon-Caper Tartar Sauce.

The server said this is one of their most popular dishes (the other being the Maine Lobster Roll). The fish was really nice, soft and flaky with the promised crispy batter. The chips were heavily seasoned with salt and vinegar, and I didnt enjoy them.

Nik had Bacon and Vermont Cheddar Burger -with Caramelised Onion and a Parker House Bun with Applewood-smoked Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Herb Mayo served with choice of French Fries or House-made Vinegar Chips

Not a great photo, he took this himself haha. This was a delicious burger with a really nice smoky flavour. I was so glad he tried this as I wanted to taste it.

Last year, Captain Grilles had the star desserts of the trip, but this year nothing applied and we decided we would get something in France instead.

CREDITS USED 86
TOTAL IN $$ 2,547.64

Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie

We arrived at the France pavilion just as a showing of Impressions de France was about to begin, so we watched this before getting our dessert. By the time the film had finished it was pouring with rain and all of the tables in the bakery were full, mostly with people who werent even eating, which was annoying! So, we had to eat on top of a bin, not for the last time today.

Vanilla White Chocolate clair

This was delicious!

Chocolate Cream clair

This one wasnt so good, there was nothing special about the chocolate cream inside, and a more traditional whipped cream would be preferable.

Napoleon

Don't judge me, we had snack credits to burn, so I was allowed a second dessert This is quite a popular dessert amongst the US Disney visitors and I wanted to see how it compared to the Cream Slices we get over here, and it held up well! Id definitely order it again.

Epcot Food and Wine Festival

Now, it was time to splurge the snack credits, I think we started the day with 33! Everything we ate today cost a snack credit, I think this is actually amazing value. We picked up a Festival Passport (these are everywhere in the park, so you dont have to worry about where to pick one up from), I wanted to try something from every booth, but bearing in mind we had eaten lunch, and had dinner plans Nik was a little more reserved.

I tried the Croissants aux Escargots - Escargot Croissant with Garlic and Parsley

This is one of the best items at the Festival, it is super garlicy, and super buttery.

We also had Crme Brulee a la Confiture de Framboises - Crme Brulee with House-made Raspberry Jam

This was gorgeous, another of my favourites of the trip. The custard and jam together tasted like the little trifles you get in the chilled section of the supermarket and I love those.

I tried the Crispy Pork Belly - Served with Black Beans, Tomato, and Onions

I had enjoyed this in the past but this year it was very grisly and not nice at all. It has been well and truly confirmed that I do not like pork, and I will not be ordering it next year.

We tried the Kefta Pocket - Seasoned Ground Beef in a Pita Pocket

This tasted just like a doner kebab, we loved it.

New England Lobster Roll - Warm Lobster with Fresh Herb Mayonnaise and a Grilled Roll

This is very, very good. The lobster is buttery and just melts in the mouth, theres the perfect amount of dressing and the roll is delicious and dipped in butter.

We also had New Brunswick Slider - Slow-braised Beef Brisket Pot Roast Style with Horseradish Cream, Crispy Fried Onions on a Potato Roll with Pickled Vegetables on the side

This had a real kick from the horseradish and was too spicy for me, Nik enjoyed it, and the brisket was really nice, just melted in the mouth, I also particularly liked the roll, it was very soft.

As always, Nik spent a silly amount of money on silly snacks in Japan, (they dont except DP) all of which he will decide he doesnt like, then next year well do the same thing again We took most things back to the room but he did try these whilst we were in World Showcase.

They werent as hot as they promised!

I had wanted to try the mochi ice cream for a while, as Leyfy (Kim) is big fan.

Usually, these little packs are also available in strawberry but they didnt have any today so I had to make do with vanilla, they did have strawberry (and a few other flavours) in multipacks but as it was my first time trying I played it safe. At first, I wasnt sure about these, they have mochi dough on the outside and ice cream in the middle, but thinking back I enjoyed them, and Ill definitely try the other flavours next time. If these were available for a snack credit I think theyd be very, very popular.

Then I used a snack credit on an American Dream, just as I do every year, even though I dont even like it!

Spanish-style Paella - Served with Chorizo and Roasted Chicken

As rice dishes go this was quite nice, there was a big chunk of chorizo, which was really tasty, but Id have preferred it if it had been chopped up and mixed in with the rest of the dish.

We picked up a bag of caramel popcorn from Karamell Kuche, isnt it amazing that a large bag is only a snack credit?! We watched them making the fresh popcorn and it is mouth-watering.

I had my favourite Caramel & Chocolate Dipped Strawberry and Nik also had a Caramel Cluster Milk Chocolate Pecan

As always, the strawberry was delicious, Nik thought the cluster was too sweet, but I liked it. I noticed after ordering that the caramel apples or caramel peanut apples are available as snack credits, I really wish I had tried one but I was trying to keep the sweet stuff to a minimum to leave room for the savory items at the booths.

Korma Chicken -with Cucumber Tomato Salad, Almonds, Cashews, and Warm Naan Bread

This was more like a Chicken Tikka Masala than the Korma we are used to, it was a little too spicy for me. The chicken was tender, there was plenty of sauce, and the naan was really, really good.

Chicken Dumplings -Served with a Chinese Slaw

Nik loves these, I dont like them, I always expect them to be crispier than they are.

Shrimp Quesadilla - Corn Tortilla with Shrimp, Queso Cheese and topped with Spicy Guajillo Sauce

I took a bite before I remembered to take a picture, sorry! This was nice, it just tasted like nacho cheese sauce.

Taste of Greece - Chicken Souvlaki, Feta Cheese Dip with warm Pita, and Lamb Sausage with a Dill Tomato Ragu

This was my favourite item from the festival, all three components were delicious and it was the only thing we finished. I especially liked the chicken, which I expected to be dry, but was really juicy.

Croissant Doughnut - with Chocolate Hazelnut Cream

This was my first time trying a cronut, and after the first bite I was wondering what all the fuss was about, angels didn't sing, but then I kept wanting to keep on eating, so I must have enjoyed it! The hazelnut cream and the raspberries were the best part of this item, and I wish thered been more of them.

Nik was very well behaved this trip and there was no major fall out this year, but this evening tried my patience the most. We were supposed to be going to dinner at Le Cellier at 7 pm, and then watching Illuminations (we even had a FP+ for it). In the morning we were going to Early Morning Magic in Toy Story Land, this had been quite a late addition to our itinerary as it was only announced they would be offering it a few weeks prior to our trip, I had discussed at length with Nik about how early we would have to be up, and how late we would be going to bed the night before, and he said it would be fine as it was only one day. But, after I had reminded him of the plans he said he either wanted to stay for Illuminations, or do Early Morning Magic, he would be too tired to do both.

Who would give up unlimited rides on Toy Story Mania and Slinky Dog Dash!? He said we could just get a FP for SDD for the next day instead To keep the peace, I agreed we could leave Epcot early, so we never got to say goodbye to Illuminations. I had really been looking forward to Le Cellier and I did not want to miss it, so without really thinking too much I moved our reservation to the following lunchtime.

We still needed to eat dinner but it had to be quick. Nik was keen on Liberty Inn but we were in Future World and I couldnt be bothered walking all the way there (in hindsight, we should have). I suggested Hurricane Hannas at the Beach Club, which we passed on the way to the Yacht Club to pick up the car, but Nik didnt seem keen. He asked if we could go back to Art of Animation, I suggested Spyglass Grill but he wasnt keen on that either, eventually we settled on Pop which is right next to CRB. I kept thinking of all the great QS options at Disney Springs we could be eating at, but I knew the clock was ticking - if we'd have gone to Disney Springs then ended up eating at the same time we'd have been seated at Le Cellier I'd have been really mad.

Everything Pop

You can view the menu here

After the ordering fiasco at Landscape of Flavors I chose something from the same order station as Nik, he had a hot dog and I had the nuggets, Im not even going to bother posting the descriptions! Both meals came with two sides, they had waffle fries, coleslaw and potato salad.

The hot dog was fine, and the waffle fries were really good, if theyd had the garlic ranch sauce here to dip them in wed have been onto a winner, but my nuggets were old, which you can probably tell from the picture.

This came to $30.85. I was disappointed in a lot of the changes to our ADR plans this year, but this one got to me the most, it just felt so wasteful (even more than 2 credits on a quesadilla haha). I should have just checked which ADRs were available at the time we had decided to leave Epcot and eaten there and then.

CREDITS USED 88
TOTAL IN $$ 2,578.48
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
NE Road Trip & Disney