Go Back   theDIBB - Disney With A British Accent > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports
Unread 18 Nov 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Definitely just too much spinning in a short time, the bit where Slinky goes over the bumps nearly pushed me over the edge. I've mainly outgrown my motion sickness but sometimes it comes back to haunt me.

We have been to Chillis and we LOVED it. It was such amazing value, I had a combo and I couldn't believe how much food I had, and the fried cheese curds were to die for. We'll definitely be back again, good to know Miller's was on the more expensive side because I thought it was a bargain!
Good to know it was just the repeated riding that did it, my motion sickness tolerance isn't very high either.

I was thinking Chilis sounded like it would be up your street if you hadn't been. I don't think Millers is too expensive, but we did well with deals and vouchers at lots of places on our last trip!
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Portofino Bay, Beach Club and villa
Unread 18 Nov 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
VIP Dibber

DAY 13

Our last full day, boo!

Whilst Nik was still sleeping Mum and I headed over to Spyglass Grill for breakfast, I was so disappointed that we just missed out on the opening of the new main building as Id have loved to have tried breakfast there.

Spyglass Grill

Mum had Bacon Breakfast Sandwich - Bacon, Egg and Cheese served on Brioche

Please excuse the terrible photography. She enjoyed this, a bacon roll isnt something you often see in Disney! It didnt come with any sides which was perhaps a little disappointing. She also tried some coffee from the refil stations, she said it was disgusting haha.

I had Cream Cheese Guava-stuffed French Toast - House-made Thick-sliced Brioche French Toast stuffed with Guava Cream Cheese and topped with fresh Strawberry Guava and Cream Cheese Sauces and a choice of Bacon of Fresh Fruit

This was delicious! I would pay TS prices for this it was that good. I was concerned it would be doughy but it was light and fluffy and the sauces on top were to die for. I had fruit on the side rather than bacon and it was really fresh, I miss Floridian fruit.

The two meals, a fresh orange and a chocolate milk came to $25.95 and we used two TS credits.

Sanaa

Lunch was at Animal Kingdom Lodge, we parked at Kidani Village, it was quite strange using the enclosed parking as wed never done this before. I felt like the restaurant was quite difficult to find walking from the parking garage but we got there in the end. The Kidani lobby was very busy and my mum said wow this is amazing, it made me laugh because she didnt have any reaction to Jambo House, which is much grander.

The restaurant was relatively quiet when we arrived (our ADR was at 11am) but filled up steadily and was quite busy by the time we left. We got a window table, which was great as we didnt get one the last time we ate here, and saw lots of animals outside whilst we were eating.

We started with the bread service, Indian-style Bread Service - Choice of Five Breads Traditional Naan, Garlic-Ginger Naan, Spiced Naan, Onion Kucha or Paneer Paratha. Accompaniments Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Mango Chutney, Tomato-Date Jam, Tamarind Chutney, Coriander Chutney, Garlic Pickle, Red Chile Sambal and Spicy Jalapeno-Lime Pickle

We got one of each bread, our favourite was the spiced naan, which wasnt really very spicy at all. The dips are organised from mildest to hottest, I preferred the milder ones, although a couple of them tasted questionable. Nik thought one tasted like cough medicine and Mum said I know, its lovely

I had the Sanaa Burger - Spiced Mustard and Peppadew-Goat Cheese served with Sanaa Chips and Pickle Spear

I had been really looking forward to trying this as the burger has had rave reviews here on The Dibb, but once we were actually there I was really worried about the inclusion of goats cheese after the pasta debacle at Trails End. But, I am pleased to say it was delicious. I was disappointed to see it is now served one a bun rather than on naan as it was previously. You can probably tell from the picture that the chips, were actually like crisps, rather than the cardboard house-made chips at the QS restaurants. The chips had a slight kick and were really nice. This is an awesome dish, it is not served at dinner so go for lunch if youd like to try it.

Mum had Tandoori Chicken - Traditional Naan, Rocket, Pickled Onion, Tomato, and Sambal Mayonnaise

This is what I had the last time we ate here, it is like a really good quality chicken kebab from a good Indian restaurant here, another winner of a dish, and again this is only served at lunchtime.

Nik had Potjie Inspired - Choose one from the Journey Goan Seafood Curry, Butter Chicken, Braised Beef, or Spicy Durban Shrimp. Choose one from the Harvest Aloo Masala, Chickpea Wit, Lentil Dhal, Paneer Tikka, or Cilantro-Coconut Vegetables served with scented Basmati Rice

He chose Butter Chicken and Paneer Tikka, this is exactly the same as he had the last time we were here. The server told us that on the Dining Plan you are actually allowed to order a third dish, she recommended the Braised Beef, so we added that on, unfortunately the kitchen initially forgot it so it was brought out later, and I forgot to take a picture.

Nik loved the Butter Chicken, he raved about this for ages, he wasnt as keen on the paneer, purely because he couldnt get his head around the fact it was cheese! Neither of us liked the braised beef, it very tender, but the texture reminded me of pet food

I had the Kenyan Coffee Petit Entremet -Kenyan Coffee-Chocolate Mousse, Espresso Financier, Vanilla Cremeux, Caramel, and Kenyan Coffee Crumble

I was torn between this and the Triple Chocolate Mousse, my dish was nice, but nothing special, I wish Id gone for the other one instead.

Nik and Mum both had Spice Trade Candy Bar - Coconut, Apricot, Caramel, Pistachio, Cashew Bar coated with Milk Chocolate, topped with Chai Cream, Pistachio Crumb, and Apricot Gelee

The server described this as like a Snickers bar, I tried it but I didnt think so, Nik said the coconut made it tasted more like a Bounty, he said it was okay, but didnt taste like he expected (he loves Snickers!).

This meal came to $121.38 or 3 TS credits. I don't think we'll return to Sanaa, the dinner menu has never appealed to me, and although the food served at lunch is delicious I just find it a bit heavy for the Floridian heat. Also, we have such fabulous Indian food here in the UK that I don't ever think Sanaa can beat it.

CREDITS USED 103
TOTAL IN $$ 3,148.58

I was pleased to see they had my favourite Zebra Domes for sale in the little store at Kidani.

I used a snack credit for these. I dont know what came over me, but I left them in the car whilst we spent the afternoon at Hollywood Studios, when I came back they were a puddle. So sad!

Almost, the last snack credit worth writing about (most were spent on water/soda) was a Frozen Strawberry Fanta in Hollywood Studios.

This was okay, like the frozen Coke, it wasnt particularly refreshing and I felt like I needed another drink after finishing it, it must be all the sugar.

Hollywood Brown Derby

We had a Fantasmic! Dining Package reservation at HBD, the Signature restaurant in Hollywood Studios. At 180 days the earliest dinner ADR they offered here was at 4.30 but as the trip got closer some later time slots opened up and I was able to change it to 5.30 which suited us better.

Last year the Dining Package changed, previously any appetiser was included, now you get an entre and a set dessert. As we were on the DxDP we were offered starters but as there was nothing that appealed to Mum or Nik we declined. I was a bit miffed as I wanted to try the cobb salad.

Being teetotal has meant I have never been able to order a drink with a glow cube, but HBD offered some virgin cocktails including one, I was so excited!

I have no idea why I am dressed like a tramp in a Signature restaurant, normally I dress up even for the in park ones, there must have been a reason why I was slumming it though.

We were really pleased to see the Tesco 50p part-baked rolls make another appearance

Nik and I both had Charred Filet of Beef -Port Wine Glazed, Sweet Potato Silk, Wild Mushrooms, Brussels Sprouts, Sweetie Drop Peppers

This was quite a disaster of a dish. The steak was overcooked, it had the texture of a burger, but not a nice one! The accompaniments were cold, not just lukewarm, cold. My steak was slo overdone, and I'd say Nik's was too. Our server was MIA so I couldnt even complain, although I dont like confrontation, so even if he was around I doubt Id have said anything.

Mum had Duck Cutlets - Sweet Corn Silk, Fava Bean Puree, Succotash, Blood Orange Gastrique

She liked this, and I thought it was nicely presented, but she said the duck didnt have any discernible flavour it could have been pork, chicken or anything else.

The set dessert on the Dining Package is Brown Derby Original Mini Grapefruit Cake and Banana-Toffee Cake - French Macaroon, Banana Fosters, Cocoa Crunch, Banana Mousse, White Chocolate Ring, Heath Bar

Can I just say, I cannot wait until Disney get over their obsession with macaroons!? I was sick of the sight of them.

Our server cleared our dinner plates without a word, then disappeared without any mention of dessert, I started to get annoyed, I had zero intention of eating either of those desserts, I dont like banana, and I have tried the grape fruit cake previously and I didnt like that either, I had wanted to ask the server if it was possible for me to have whatever dessert kids are offered on the package.

The desserts came out, Nik and Mum tried them but didnt like them, I didnt even touch mine. When the server came to clear our dessert plates he remarked that I hadnt eaten anything. He said I should have said, but I didnt get the chance! Then he asked if Id like some ice cream, which redeemed himself slightly. I declined the offer though, he said that if I changed my mind later I could pop back for some ice cream, I wasn't sure if he was joking about this or not

I did not enjoy this meal and it was the worst service we had had all trip. We had chosen HDB over Hollywood & Vine (which we love!) and this was a mistake. Dinner came to $226.82 and used 6 TS credits, if we'd have paid OOP for this I'd have absolutely complained. HBD is wonderfully themed but we won't be back.

CREDITS USED 109
TOTAL IN $$ 3,375.40

We used our final two snack credits on a soda and some nachos and cheese to eat during Fantasmic!

These are our favourite snack of all!

And, so our last park day came to end, this trip I'd conquered RnRC, ridden Everest for the first time since 2013, Splash and Space for the first time since 2014, but still ToT alluded me. I should have ridden it on the first morning right after RnRC when I was full of bravado, maybe next time!?
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
NE Road Trip & Disney
Unread 18 Nov 18, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Sanaa looks good, it's one I would like to try, mainly having read so many things about the bread service!

What a shame that HBD was so disappointing, and the server so lacking. Not what you expect from a signature restaurant
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Portofino Bay, Beach Club and villa
Unread 18 Nov 18, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
VIP Dibber

Bit a mixed last day. We quite enjoyed Sanaa we felt it was different to the other TS restaurants we ate at. I got the paneer too and didn't like it at all.

Such a shame about Hollywood Brown Derby especially as a Signature!

Those nachos look lovely, I love Nachos but we'd already sat down when I realised they sold food inside at Fantasmic I loved the nacho cheese over there too.

Can't believe it's nearly the end of your report xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
18 Nights POR 1 Night BWV
Unread 19 Nov 18, 01:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Mobile

Sanaa bread service looks so yummy.

Really enjoyed your report!
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I loved our meal at Sanaa, that bread service alone is well worth it. I do understand what you mean about heavy food in the heat of Florida though. we had a pool afternoon after our lunch, but I certainly wouldn't have felt like traipsing round the parks. That's the main reason we tend not to eat much during the day at Disney though.

I'm so sorry that HBD was disappointing for you, particularly as it was your last meal in the parks. Would have been nice to finish on a high. I really hope that you have had your head turned by the potential of offsite dining, and give that a try on your next trip.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Hubby and Me - The Anniversary
Unread 19 Nov 18, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Can I say that I can't wait for Disney to be over those little balls that have juice inside that they stick in drinks and on the top of cakes! I'm quite partial to a macaroon, but I'll happily lose them if we can also lose those stupid balls!

I can't believe we're at the last day! How sad that it's going home time for you. I'm glad your mum found the perfect breakfast, a bacon roll, what's not to love!

I'm also glad that we may as well stick to our Indian takeaways at home and leave Sanaa as you know I have a fear of driving abroad that isn't going away anytime soon.

I am bit sad that your HBD meal wasn't really up to scratch, apart from the lovely bread rolls at the start. It doesn't sound like your server was very attentive at all.

Well done on getting on some rides that you haven't done in a long time. Do you think you'll be back on Splash and Space next time or has it just confirmed your hatred of them all? I know I have to pluck up courage each time for Everest but I do manage it and actually ended up enjoying it a bit more this year. Tower of Terror is like repeatedly driving over a level crossing a bit too fast really as you lose belly, I find it best if I close my eyes when they open the window at the top as I hate the view, I much prefer rides where I can't see what's going on! Space and RnR are fine by me!

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place

Edited at 08:57 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
6th time lucky, CBR again
Unread 19 Nov 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
Sanaa looks good, it's one I would like to try, mainly having read so many things about the bread service!

What a shame that HBD was so disappointing, and the server so lacking. Not what you expect from a signature restaurant
Everyone in the restaurant seemed to have a bread service, it was the star item!

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Bit a mixed last day. We quite enjoyed Sanaa we felt it was different to the other TS restaurants we ate at. I got the paneer too and didn't like it at all.

Such a shame about Hollywood Brown Derby especially as a Signature!

Those nachos look lovely, I love Nachos but we'd already sat down when I realised they sold food inside at Fantasmic I loved the nacho cheese over there too.

Can't believe it's nearly the end of your report xx
We sat down before I went to get the food too and it was a stressful experience! We were in the roped off Dining Package seating so I had to be asked to let out, then flash my tickets again to get back in whilst my hands were full. I was so hot, and so stressed, but they were worth it!

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Sanaa bread service looks so yummy.

Really enjoyed your report!
It is delicious,we got the server to take it away before our mains came but we really should have kept it to dip in the butter chicken sauce.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I loved our meal at Sanaa, that bread service alone is well worth it. I do understand what you mean about heavy food in the heat of Florida though. we had a pool afternoon after our lunch, but I certainly wouldn't have felt like traipsing round the parks. That's the main reason we tend not to eat much during the day at Disney though.

I'm so sorry that HBD was disappointing for you, particularly as it was your last meal in the parks. Would have been nice to finish on a high. I really hope that you have had your head turned by the potential of offsite dining, and give that a try on your next trip.
We were actually supposed to be going to a park straight from lunch but we ended up going shopping instead, I think it probably had something to do with too much food!

HBD just capped off what had been a stressful dining plan experience and it definitely influenced my future plans

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Can I say that I can't wait for Disney to be over those little balls that have juice inside that they stick in drinks and on the top of cakes! I'm quite partial to a macaroon, but I'll happily lose them if we can also lose those stupid balls!

I can't believe we're at the last day! How sad that it's going home time for you. I'm glad your mum found the perfect breakfast, a bacon roll, what's not to love!

I'm also glad that we may as well stick to our Indian takeaways at home and leave Sanaa as you know I have a fear of driving abroad that isn't going away anytime soon.

I am bit sad that your HBD meal wasn't really up to scratch, apart from the lovely bread rolls at the start. It doesn't sound like your server was very attentive at all.

Well done on getting on some rides that you haven't done in a long time. Do you think you'll be back on Splash and Space next time or has it just confirmed your hatred of them all? I know I have to pluck up courage each time for Everest but I do manage it and actually ended up enjoying it a bit more this year. Tower of Terror is like repeatedly driving over a level crossing a bit too fast really as you lose belly, I find it best if I close my eyes when they open the window at the top as I hate the view, I much prefer rides where I can't see what's going on! Space and RnR are fine by me!
100% agree about those little balls, I don't mind them in the drinks so much, but they were just bizarre in the dishes at Satuli Canteen.

HBD was a poor excuse for a Signature dining experience, I was annoyed as we love the other Hollywood Studios restaurants and it seemed a waste.

I think I'm over my fear of Splash and Space now, and I'd like to think Everest too - but I was SO nervous at the loading dock for that. Normally, I keep my eyes closed on scary rides but I kept them wide open on RnRC as I'd watched ride videos and I knew when I saw certain road signs it would nearly be over I still can't believe I did it, and my ride picture didn't come through which I'm gutted about.

Thank you for reading!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
NE Road Trip & Disney
Eat and Play Card