Go Back   theDIBB - Disney With A British Accent > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports
Unread 19 Nov 18, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
VIP Dibber

And so, our DxDP journey came to an end with a bit of a whimper, but the dining report isnt over yet.

DAY 14

We had booked a final lunch at Raglan Road for our departure day and I had planned to go to Earl of Sandwich afterwards to get us some sandwiches for the flight, but, (theres always a but this year!) Granny was flying back home with us and Trish had to return her to our care

She asked our plans and offered to meet us at Disney Springs, but as she had been kind enough to drive to Disney twice already to see us I didnt think that was fair. She suggested we meet at a Cracker Barrel a few minutes from the airport and we thought this was a great plan, as Cracker Barrel was somewhere else we wanted to try.

Cracker Barrel

You can view their menu here, we arrived just before midday and they were serving both breakfast and lunch. Our minds were blown with all of the options.

I had Chicken BLT - Your choice of our grilled or fried chicken tenderloins topped with Tick-Sliced Bacon, Colby cheese, mayo, lettuce and tomato on seared Sourdough bread

I went for the fried chicken, does anyone choose grilled?! Hmm, this wasnt great. It was really dry, I had to ask for extra mayo, and the chicken itself was really pants compared to the amazing Disney nuggets, even the Chicken Guy strips were better than these. It was also massive and I had no idea where to even start with eating it.

You could have any side with it and I chose mash which was really nice, but it was touching my sandwich and honestly, I thought I might be sick haha. I couldnt eat the piece of bread that had the mash on it, in fact I could barely even look at it.

Granny had the Monday-Friday Pick 2 Country Combos - Choose any of the following for 5.99: New Three Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Country House Salad with Grilled Chicken, Cup of Soup, Baked Potato or Sweet Potato

She had the soup, which was potato, I didnt get a picture of it, it had massive chunks of potatoes in it, and I mean massive, it made me sick of look at it (sorry!), but she ate it all so I am sure it tasted nicer than it looked. And the Grilled Cheese, again she finished this, and said it was nice.

Nik had the Prime Rib French Dip Sandwich Platter - We hope you enjoy Prime Rib thats roasted slow and served with fresh grilled onions, beef au jus, Swiss Cheese, and Peppercorn Horseradish Sauce on a toasted hoagie bun. It comes with Homestyle Fries or a Cup of Soup, and a sampling of Cole Slaw

Oh, this was good, really, really good. They initially forgot the jus, but the server noticed herself and brought it over. I could eat this right now, it was big enough to share. He had fries with it, but I dont think he thought much of them.

Mum liked the sound of a few different things so I suggested the Cracker Barrel Sampler -
A hearty sampling of our Chicken nDumplins, Meatloaf and sugar cured or country ham. Comes with three country sides and mae-from-scratch Buttermilk Biscuits or Corn Muffins

She was flummoxed by having to choose sides and had fries, green beans, and who knows what else!? The number of things touching each other on this plate is terrifying for me. I dont think she particularly enjoyed this, comfort food really isnt her thing.

Trish had the Reuben Sandwich Platter -Tender thin-sliced corn beef piled high, with sauerkraut and lots of melting Swiss cheese served on grilled Rye bread with Thousand Island dressing

Nik and I both tried this, it was really nice and the rye bread held up well and maintained its crispiness.

Granny treated us to lunch so I dont have a total cost but it was less than $60 for all five of us which is quite eye-opening compared to Disney prices. Every Cracker Barrel restaurant has a kitsch little gift shop and I really enjoyed browsing here, if our luggage wasnt jam packed Id have probably picked up a few things. Well definitely give CB a try again in future, most likely for breakfast, we enjoyed the theming of the restaurant, it was very reminiscent of Trails End.

Due to lack of space in the car Trish took Granny and Mum to the airport leaving Nik and I alone again, we were checked in and through security in record time, Id never seen it so quiet at MCO! We had the Thomas Cook Priority Package which also allowed us to use the TSA Pre-Check lanes at Security which also helped a bit. We decided to grab something to eat to kill some time.
Outback Steakhouse

For the first time ever, we were actually excited to be going home, we missed our cats, Teddy and Bear enormously and we couldnt wait to see them. We were in the mood to celebrate!

This was our first ever time at Outback, so I was excited! Unfortunately, I cant share the menu with you as I didnt take any photos and the website is blocked in the UK haha.

I had the Sirloin which came with your choice of side, and choice of salad.

I chose the House Salad with Ranch Dressing, this was really nice, especially those croutons!

I chose a baked potato as my side, this would have been perfect if I had remembered to ask for no bacon! I dont normally eat the skin of the potatoes but the salt sprinkled on this one made it delicious! The steak was great, I am quite good at cooking steak (my dad taught me well!), and this reminded me of my own haha.

Nik wasnt hungry (unsurprisingly, it was only two hours since our last meal) and ordered some wings.

He said these were the best wings he had ever eaten!

I didnt note down what this meal cost, but well definitely be back at Outback in the future as I have to try a Bloomin Onion!

Edited at 11:02 PM.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
NE Road Trip & Disney
Unread 19 Nov 18, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Excellent report! Im a big fan of Sanaa but Marie not so much so weve only been once. Shame about HBD. Marie didnt think it was that great but Id have been willing to give it another go. We do like Hollywood & Vine for Fantasmic but not now its a character meal (they interrupt my food!).

Are you doing DxDDP next year?

Dining Reports
2011,2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Trip reports
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where are we staying in 2020?
Unread 19 Nov 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
VIP Dibber

CONCLUSION

The fluffy babies love their presents from Disney. We originally bought Eeyore and Pooh (gotta have that matching set), but Pooh isn't fluffy like Eeyore and they refused to sleep on him, so I had to get Simba on eBay so they didn't have to share

We used 109 out of 126 Deluxe Dining Plan credits. Mum was away for five nights, and I calculated that she missed 16 credits worth of meals, so I dont think we fared too badly numerically.

Financially is a different story. There is no denying that we got very, very poor value from our credits. The Deluxe Dining Plan for 3 adults for 14 nights would cost a total of $4882.08 so if we had paid cash for it wed have been over $1500 out of pocket.

Do I regret upgrading? No, we still ate where we wanted to, when we wanted to, with the freedom to order what we wanted, and that was why I upgraded. I wasnt to know our plans would be de-railed so spectacularly. We ate a lot more Quick Service than I had planned, so the Regular Dining Plan would had probably been a perfect fit for us this year, but I wasnt to know that.

In hindsight, cancelling so many of our lunches was a bad idea, Mum struggled with the heat and felt tired, and I think a nice break midday in the AC would have helped a lot with that. I probably should have stuck to my guns a bit more.

There are some restaurants I am really sad about missing out on Yak & Yeti, Via Napoli, Chefs de France, Liberty Tree Tavern and Le Cellier, but Im sure well return to those places in the future.

WHATS NEXT

2019 was to be a dream trip with a 12-night stay at the Beach Club with Disney Dining Plan and no car. But, we enjoyed eating off-site this year so much that we knew we wanted to do it more in the future

I think the Beach Club is beautiful, and I have spent many hours since we booked dreaming about strolling to Epcot, but it costs 2,400 more than a value resort. We could probably have another trip for that amount of money. Before we even left Disney, I knew Id be ringing WDTC when we were home to cancel. Ideally, I wanted French Quarter, the only moderate were yet to stay at, but the only resorts with availability were All Stars Sports, All Stars Music, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach. We wanted somewhere we havent stayed before it had to be All Stars, and we chose Music from the two. We will be hiring a car. And we upgraded the free breakfast to the QUICK-SERVICE DINING PLAN! This is a first for us and I am both looking forward to, and dreading the freedom of it.

Accommodation wise I have zero regrets about cancelling the Beach Club, I daydreamed about staying there, but I can actually picture us at All-Stars, and I know well be really happy there with THREE different food courts at our disposal. Were looking forward to lots of QS breakfasts as I really enjoyed those this year.

Ill probably book a few ADRs, then a few more, then a few more, then end up upgrading to the Regular Dining Plan after all, but well see. For now its a mix of QS and off-site. We are 100% doing Skipper Canteen, I think the Festival of Fantasy Dining Package is a must-do for us, I want to do Le Cellier, and.. See, Im getting carried away already!

Right now, Im really excited by our current plans, I wouldnt go as far as to say I fell out of love with Disney Dining this year, but I think weve reached a place where weve eaten most of the places we wanted to, and are ready to try something new.

Im keen to see what the free nights offer is in the New Year as we may change our plans completely again. I really want POFQ!

Please give me all of your off-site recommendations!

Thank you so much for reading along, especially those who had taken the time to comment, I've loved reading your thoughts, it's so kind of you to have taken the time to share.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
NE Road Trip & Disney
Unread 19 Nov 18, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Excellent report! Im a big fan of Sanaa but Marie not so much so weve only been once. Shame about HBD. Marie didnt think it was that great but Id have been willing to give it another go. We do like Hollywood & Vine for Fantasmic but not now its a character meal (they interrupt my food!).

Are you doing DxDDP next year?
I really wish they'd introduce a system at character meals similar to the coasters at WCC where you can show you don't want to meet the characters and are happy just to watch!

Thank you so much for reading along and all yours comments. We've cross-posted my future plans, definitely no DxDP next year, and probably never again
NE Road Trip & Disney
Unread 19 Nov 18, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I really wish they'd introduce a system at character meals similar to the coasters at WCC where you can show you don't want to meet the characters and are happy just to watch!

Thank you so much for reading along and all yours comments. We've cross-posted my future plans, definitely no DxDP next year, and probably never again
So I see! I posted before your final thoughts. Its interesting that youve gone the other way now. I suspect youll end up upgrading . I know what you mean about the freedom of DxDDP and its always whats attracted us but I cant see us ever doing it as the 3 courses would be too much.

We might end up seeing you at All Stars depending how things go for us this year!

Dining Reports
2011,2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Trip reports
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where are we staying in 2020?
Unread 19 Nov 18, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
So I see! I posted before your final thoughts. Its interesting that youve gone the other way now. I suspect youll end up upgrading . I know what you mean about the freedom of DxDDP and its always whats attracted us but I cant see us ever doing it as the 3 courses would be too much.

We might end up seeing you at All Stars depending how things go for us this year!
Have you still had no joy with securing OKW?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Nik would love to stay in a studio again, but I'm completely at peace with All-Stars.
NE Road Trip & Disney
Unread 20 Nov 18, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Ooh so no DxDp and not that many ADRs for you next year (maybe...)- that'll be a change!

Offsite we like Olive Garden and Bahama Breeze, not very original I know as lots of people reccomend them! You should also check out the places at Citywalk for sure.

That last meal at Outback looked really good, it's been on my list to try!

Edited at 09:56 AM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time at Disney!
Unread 20 Nov 18, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

I've really enjoyed reading your report. Big changes for your next trip, it's interesting you've gone completely the other way to the QSDP.

Offsite we like Olive Garden, Chilis, Sweet Tomatoes, Millers and Outback. I also like California Pizza Kitchen although in Orlando I think the only one is at Mall at Millenia. I quite like Dennys for breakfast too. It's worth signing up on all the websites just before you leave as you normally get sent some good vouchers that way
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Portofino Bay, Beach Club and villa