Notices

Old 5 Jan 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

SO. MUCH. TO. SAY.

I noticed you had started this as soon as you posted but I’ve been a poorly soldier over Christmas so waited until I could give you my full attention before I read.

HAHA at ‘I’ve tried to explain to them that not enjoying themselves isn’t an option’. It also made me chuckle that you’re hoping Disney is similar enough to cruising.

‘I am not wearing a family name t-shirt’ – some people are so easily pleased.

I think it’s very sweet that your dad asked about Kennedy. I hope you manage to squeeze it in for him. (Not that I would be so selfless )

You are so right about DDP being confusing until you are there, even after six DDP trips I’m not sure Nik even gets it.

I’m still sad about the DVC villa situation, as I really think the space would have suited you all, but I suppose it just wasn’t to be. POFQ will be wonderful though, and I think the size of it will really appeal to your parents, especially your dad, they’ll be able to appreciate all of the resort’s amenities which is hard to do in the larger ones.

I am so excited for your parents to see WDW, possibly even as excited as you, I am sure they’ll love Epcot in particular.

I am THRILLED with your direct flights, what a bargain, I won’t tell you what we’ve paid for this year

I am so stressed over your ADR list, I am actually sitting here biting my nails! I absolutely agree that CRT is a must-do and I’m thrilled to see Hoop Dee Doo on there. Have you considered using your gift cards to cover Hoop Dee Doo? Then it frees up your credits for something else.

I’m pretty sure that the Snow White meal will eventually go up to 2 credits, but for now it’s such a bargain, especially compared to Be Our Guest. At first it didn’t really appeal to me but I have to admit the first few pictures I’ve seen have looked fabulous.

I don’t think I could choose between Tusker House and Crystal Palace, I feel like you have to do Crystal Palace for Kate, and Tusker House is too good to miss out, I’d add on the Rivers of Light package.

I’d do Tony’s ahead of Mama Melrose, the parade package was really a fantastic experience, and like you say, the F! seating isn’t something that’s 100% necessary.

I would go for Biergarten as your World Showcase restaurant, I think you would all love it. I’d keep Teppan Edo too, I’m a big Chef de France fan but I think three Epcot restaurants is enough. Don’t give up on your favourite Garden Grill, you’ll regret it if you do, every time you walk past it you’ll feel sad! I think your parents would enjoy the gimmick of eating in a ride.

Grand Floridian Café is wonderful, I’m sure you’d be happy there if you wanted to forego a Signature, but I feel like you have to show the first-timers at least one ‘fancy’ meal. I really am desperate for you to try Narcoosee’s, but I think you should play it safe with your ‘guests’ on board, and go back to Yachtsman – you have to have a steakhouse in there somewhere! But you must visit the Grand Flo, so the café has to stay.

I’m with you on the Disney Springs QS plan, there’s so many great places to try now I really wouldn’t bother with TS. Definitely make a point of going to WPE, everyone will love it.

I agree with Kate, Beaches and Cream is a must-do for me, I’m sure everyone would love it.

I’d like to see at least one breakfast buffet on your list, my pick would have been Boma but without a car isn’t not the most practical of places to get it, a cab wouldn’t be too expensive if you wanted to splurge.

Here’s my picks, with Hoop De Doo paid by gift card.

1&2 – Cinderella’s Royal Table
3 – Artist Point Storybook Dining
4 – Tusker House
5 – Crystal Palace (for breakfast?)
6 – Tony’s Town Square
7 – Biergarten
8 – Garden Grill
9 – Teppan Edo
10 – Sanaa
11 – Grand Floridian Cafe
12&13 – Yachtsman Steakhouse
14 – Beaches & Cream
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

I’ve only just stumbled across this Abby, how exciting to see another report from you! Plans all sound fab, will be lovely to have your parents with you.

Great bargain on the flights!

The great ADR debate - obviously I can offer no advice having not been yet myself, but I feel your pain because I’m trying to come up with our list...so many choices
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

It sounds like a great trip you have planned, I'm sure your parents will enjoy it. Great bargain on the flights too for direct ones.

I'm also currently agonising over ADR choices, although as we only have 5 nights on site it's very restricted!

It sounds like you need to do Crystal Palace for Kate. I think you have to have a Mickey character dining in there for the first timers, though that would be covered if you did do Garden Grill

I think I would go for Tony's over Fantasmic seating, as like you say it is easier to get a seat there than a parade spot. Tony's is probably one of mine for that reason

The Snow White dining is a definite one for us too, it looks good from the reviews and both my older two liked the sound of the characters

I'm sure I saw somewhere that you could get the Kitchen Sink as your dessert using credits if 4 of you were eating

I think we will just overlap with you at Universal, we arrive there on the 14th August!
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Oh and on the seat booking, we are gambling on not booking seats, as generally from what I've heard BA are pretty good at seating you together anyway, it was going to add a lot of cost to book for 5 of us. I guess it depends how important it is to you that all 6 of you are seated together as the risk might be they break you up into 2s and 3s
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Hello

Just spotted this. I've missed this since we have been away.

Thanks for the mention - I'm feeling famous - lol

I love that your holiday has grown arms and legs, it makes me feel so much better that I am not the only one that happens to.

In terms of your adrs:

Chefs v Teppan Edo - I would have always gone with Teppan Edo previously and we did enjoy it this year but Chefs De France was outstanding this time.

Storybook at Artists Point was awesome, we are doing it again, I've just posted my review of it.

We loved Mama Melrose, its either that or HBD for us in the Studios so this time it will be Mama Melrose again.

I personally like Tusker House better than Crystal Palace, we might do that again as a rivers of light package.

Wolfgang Puck Express - you need to go there, it is one of the best quick services.
Old 6 Jan 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
SO. MUCH. TO. SAY.

I noticed you had started this as soon as you posted but I’ve been a poorly soldier over Christmas so waited until I could give you my full attention before I read.

HAHA at ‘I’ve tried to explain to them that not enjoying themselves isn’t an option’. It also made me chuckle that you’re hoping Disney is similar enough to cruising.

‘I am not wearing a family name t-shirt’ – some people are so easily pleased.

I think it’s very sweet that your dad asked about Kennedy. I hope you manage to squeeze it in for him. (Not that I would be so selfless )

You are so right about DDP being confusing until you are there, even after six DDP trips I’m not sure Nik even gets it.

I’m still sad about the DVC villa situation, as I really think the space would have suited you all, but I suppose it just wasn’t to be. POFQ will be wonderful though, and I think the size of it will really appeal to your parents, especially your dad, they’ll be able to appreciate all of the resort’s amenities which is hard to do in the larger ones.

I am so excited for your parents to see WDW, possibly even as excited as you, I am sure they’ll love Epcot in particular.

I am THRILLED with your direct flights, what a bargain, I won’t tell you what we’ve paid for this year

I am so stressed over your ADR list, I am actually sitting here biting my nails! I absolutely agree that CRT is a must-do and I’m thrilled to see Hoop Dee Doo on there. Have you considered using your gift cards to cover Hoop Dee Doo? Then it frees up your credits for something else.

I’m pretty sure that the Snow White meal will eventually go up to 2 credits, but for now it’s such a bargain, especially compared to Be Our Guest. At first it didn’t really appeal to me but I have to admit the first few pictures I’ve seen have looked fabulous.

I don’t think I could choose between Tusker House and Crystal Palace, I feel like you have to do Crystal Palace for Kate, and Tusker House is too good to miss out, I’d add on the Rivers of Light package.

I’d do Tony’s ahead of Mama Melrose, the parade package was really a fantastic experience, and like you say, the F! seating isn’t something that’s 100% necessary.

I would go for Biergarten as your World Showcase restaurant, I think you would all love it. I’d keep Teppan Edo too, I’m a big Chef de France fan but I think three Epcot restaurants is enough. Don’t give up on your favourite Garden Grill, you’ll regret it if you do, every time you walk past it you’ll feel sad! I think your parents would enjoy the gimmick of eating in a ride.

Grand Floridian Café is wonderful, I’m sure you’d be happy there if you wanted to forego a Signature, but I feel like you have to show the first-timers at least one ‘fancy’ meal. I really am desperate for you to try Narcoosee’s, but I think you should play it safe with your ‘guests’ on board, and go back to Yachtsman – you have to have a steakhouse in there somewhere! But you must visit the Grand Flo, so the café has to stay.

I’m with you on the Disney Springs QS plan, there’s so many great places to try now I really wouldn’t bother with TS. Definitely make a point of going to WPE, everyone will love it.

I agree with Kate, Beaches and Cream is a must-do for me, I’m sure everyone would love it.

I’d like to see at least one breakfast buffet on your list, my pick would have been Boma but without a car isn’t not the most practical of places to get it, a cab wouldn’t be too expensive if you wanted to splurge.

Here’s my picks, with Hoop De Doo paid by gift card.

1&2 – Cinderella’s Royal Table
3 – Artist Point Storybook Dining
4 – Tusker House
5 – Crystal Palace (for breakfast?)
6 – Tony’s Town Square
7 – Biergarten
8 – Garden Grill
9 – Teppan Edo
10 – Sanaa
11 – Grand Floridian Cafe
12&13 – Yachtsman Steakhouse
14 – Beaches & Cream
I'm sorry of hear you've been ill over Christmas, both me and Kate have had a bit of the lurgy. I'm back to work tomorrow and decided I had to get started on this while I had some time to devote to it! Now though I've got some serious decisions to make and that is going to be hard.

I did think that Dave would put up more of a fight, I wasn't sure what his 1 condition would be, the not wearing a 'team' t shirt was easy to comply with

Given how much we loved our 2 days at POR compared to OKW I think we will really like it! I would have loved to try out the villa option as obviously you need others with you to make that a viable option, but I guess that means we will have to return!

I really need to stop the email alerts for flights, it's a bizarre form of self flagulation. Yesterday I had an alert for the same flights we book but for £569, I didn't recognise the name of the website selling them though and while I don't mind shopping around I feel like it's safer to book direct as if there are any problems it's easier to sort out. Anyway, I decided not to click on the link so that I can delude myself that there would have been a booking fee and luggage to add on etc etc!

Now down to business with the ADRs. Oh my goodness this is going to give me headaches. I'm planning on using the gift card towards the tips...hmm...Maybe we could use it for hoop Dee doo.

I think we probably will end up with both CP and TH. I did think about the ROL ticket, but it's not a deal breaker.

I thought you'd vote for TTS. Did you notice that I left off jungle skipper? That was one of my favourites so I'm still not sure.

The Epcot choices are going to be hard. I don't know about GG, I'm not sure I can give it up either. But then I really want to try out the French and German restaurants as they would be new for us too. Maybe that means we should drop Teppan Edo?

I did think that we didn't have a proper steak option...don't add in more restaurants though. Yachtsman was good. Crikey it's tough. I'm surprised you didn't push for narcoosees more.

You snuck Sanaa in to your list. I'll have to think about that as it would be good to get to AKL.

Thanks for all your help. I'll have to really think about it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
I’ve only just stumbled across this Abby, how exciting to see another report from you! Plans all sound fab, will be lovely to have your parents with you.

Great bargain on the flights!

The great ADR debate - obviously I can offer no advice having not been yet myself, but I feel your pain because I’m trying to come up with our list...so many choices
You could tell me what your top picks would be as a first time though, that would be really useful. Do you have any ADRs that you are certain you will want to book?

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
It sounds like a great trip you have planned, I'm sure your parents will enjoy it. Great bargain on the flights too for direct ones.

I'm also currently agonising over ADR choices, although as we only have 5 nights on site it's very restricted!

It sounds like you need to do Crystal Palace for Kate. I think you have to have a Mickey character dining in there for the first timers, though that would be covered if you did do Garden Grill

I think I would go for Tony's over Fantasmic seating, as like you say it is easier to get a seat there than a parade spot. Tony's is probably one of mine for that reason

The Snow White dining is a definite one for us too, it looks good from the reviews and both my older two liked the sound of the characters

I'm sure I saw somewhere that you could get the Kitchen Sink as your dessert using credits if 4 of you were eating

I think we will just overlap with you at Universal, we arrive there on the 14th August!
Another vote for GG, I thought you would all try and talk me out of it! How wrong was I?

The snow white meal is going to be the standout ADR for people to get this year isn't it? It seems like it's going to be very popular.

I didn't know you could pool the dessert credits at B&C, that is really helpfu, thank you.

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
Oh and on the seat booking, we are gambling on not booking seats, as generally from what I've heard BA are pretty good at seating you together anyway, it was going to add a lot of cost to book for 5 of us. I guess it depends how important it is to you that all 6 of you are seated together as the risk might be they break you up into 2s and 3s
We've not bothered booking seats in the past as Kate was under 12 and I know the airlines will try and seat you together. I actually would quite like 3 groups of 2, it would be ok, or 2 groups of 3...we'll see, there's plenty of time to worry about it later. It's the return flight when we are all trying to sleep that's more important as it's not really fair on the kids or the other passengers if we are not sitting together.

Old 6 Jan 19, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Hello

Just spotted this. I've missed this since we have been away.

Thanks for the mention - I'm feeling famous - lol

I love that your holiday has grown arms and legs, it makes me feel so much better that I am not the only one that happens to.

In terms of your adrs:

Chefs v Teppan Edo - I would have always gone with Teppan Edo previously and we did enjoy it this year but Chefs De France was outstanding this time.

Storybook at Artists Point was awesome, we are doing it again, I've just posted my review of it.

We loved Mama Melrose, its either that or HBD for us in the Studios so this time it will be Mama Melrose again.

I personally like Tusker House better than Crystal Palace, we might do that again as a rivers of light package.

Wolfgang Puck Express - you need to go there, it is one of the best quick services.
I hope you had a brilliant holiday. I'm going to be looking out for tips from you about having your MIL on holiday with you. Although, she'd been before so it's a little bit of a different situation.

I'm keen to try chefs de france, I really liked the look of the soup, although whether we'd fancy that in August is something to consider!

I'll hop over to see your review in a mo, I guess you liked it a lot if you're going back.

You're right it's criminal that we haven't made it to WPE. I will have to rectify that won't I?

Old 6 Jan 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
You could tell me what your top picks would be as a first time though, that would be really useful. Do you have any ADRs that you are certain you will want to book?
Do I have a list of ADRs for a holiday that’s still months away? Of course I do!

Sci Fi Dine In - I think Heath would love the theming of this and we are definitely going for theming/characters over food in our choices.

Sana’a - as we’re staying at AKL and I’ve got to have that bread service!

CRT - this is my choice as I’m desperate to get in the castle. I suspect it will be awkward meeting the princesses but we’ll manage!

Garden Grill breakfast - like the look of the food, can get on Soarin’ early and meet characters.

Boma - this is mainly as it’s at our resort, could get dumped.

Tusker House - characters, food looks good and the RoL fast passes.

Hollywood and Vine dinner - Halloween themed characters and the Fantasmic fastpasses.

Fairytale dining (the Snow White one) - this looks great, really hope it’s still one credit when we go. Love the characters here.

BoG lunch - again, got to have a look inside this castle! Lunch looks like the nicest food to me. (I know this is CS but it’s a key one for me to get booked)

Via Napoli - have popped this in as we’ve got TS credits left and we all like pizza.

That leaves one TS credit unaccounted for...we may ditch Boma/Via Napoli for a signature or might come up with another one credit meal that I haven’t thought of yet. Please let me know what you think/would suggest.

I don’t know if that’s any help for you but I’m having a lot of fun planning it all!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List