Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Ocean Florida
Unread 12 Jan 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes its expensive. But 4 of us went to Spain last year and it cost me 1250 for 3 nights, it was nothing special, now thats expensive! You make it as expensive as you want!
Been to Florida several times throughout the 80's,90's,1999 to see in the millenium,back in Oct 2009 to spread my dads ashes & first time on our own as a family in March 2012. Going back in May 2013 - 1 week Orlando and 1 week St Pete beach. To say I'm excited is an understatement!
Ryles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
going back again! Roll on Aug 15
Unread 13 Jan 19, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I understand what you are saying MH but we have always struggled to pay for trips and now are finally at a time when money should not be so much of an issue, so we are opposite and hoping to go more. I know everything has gone up and exchange rates are rubbish, but I long to be in the Florida sunshine or even the Florida rain. I have also realised that I am probably totally uncultured. I dont really like sightseeing and when we tried AI European holidays, we all looked forward to coming home as we found it boring. Maybe we will one day have our fill of Florida, like perhaps you have? But we arent there yet. Weve been to California and Disneyland, LA and San Francisco and although enjoyable, we dont want to go back.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2014 Villa Lake Berkeley
2016 Villa Bass Lakes
2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach
2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach
2019 Universal Surfside, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs

Edited at 12:40 AM.
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
When 1 countdown closes, another 1 opens
Unread 13 Jan 19, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

My dh wont let me book Florida in advance any more its just getting stupidly expensive we have four kids so it really adds up and we are limited where we can stay
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Florida halloween
mushumadness is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Fan
Unread 13 Jan 19, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I hear you, MH. We last went in 2017 and were looking at going again in 2020, but it is in my mind that, unless there is a significant improvement in the exchange rate, were probably going to spend our money going elsewhere.

Were currently in Canada, where the exchange rate is around $1.70 to the and its great value - this is our third winter visit but Im pondering a summer visit in 2020 instead of Florida.

The only issue is some first timer family members hoped to come with us in 2020, but we will see nearer the time.
Unread 13 Jan 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Hirtleburger
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

It's interesting that I don't think it's just Brits that are getting a bit fed up with prices and crowds, was watching the Dis Tokyo vlog and listening to Pete (a local) ranting about how a third party company are managing crowds better and producing better quality merch for cheaper than Disney was very telling.
We are calling this year our "deciding visit" after four trips, our last visit had some real downs that seemed to be basic avoidable stuff, like a room downgrade, then the carpets were wet through in our new room, then we were allocated someone else's room, we really had to pull teeth for an apology as well and it rubbed a bit of magic away for sure, add in the rising costs and mega crowds, I think this might be our last one for a while too.
Hirtleburger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our first deluxe AKL
Unread 13 Jan 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Many Brits think Florida is Disney, and USA is Florida/ NYC/ Las Vegas/ California.

If you are sick of Disney and prices, quite understandable, try driving around Florida, its a beautiful State. My favourite areas are SW (Naples etc) and Panhandle.

But also consider wider USA. We have had many wonderful trips, where weve hardly seen a U.K. person, if any. Weve been to 25 States. From Texas to Louisiana, Smokies to Blue Ridge Mountains.

A real easy one is fly into Tampa or Atlanta. Go to places like Destin and Seaside, into the Georgia islands (Jekyl), go to Hilton Head and trip into Savannah, Charleston etc.
Unread 13 Jan 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We still love our trips to Florida but don't do the parks anymore, Disney lost its magic for us but Florida has so much more to offer then theme parks and because we can travel out of term times for us it is still cost effective, I can get 2 direct return flights with car hire with BA for about 1k- 1.2k
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
our Florida holiday
Unread 13 Jan 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We had a chat a few days ago and decided we want to go to Orlando for as long as we can DH will be 68 this year and I'll be 60.
We're doing a 3 week trip this year and going to all the parks but we've decided in future it will be Disney one year and Universal SeaWorld and Busch Gardens the following year due to the cost of tickets.
Taffy1959 Loves the DIBBcast Disney Podcast